RR7 - whoopsie with valve cover gasket

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by GappySmeg, Apr 3, 2020.

1. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

Evening all, long time no post!

Given the current enforced boredom, I decided to check my valve clearance (bike's only on 14000 miles but I'm bored!)
    Couldn't get the valve cover out of the front of the bike, just wouldn't move beyone a certain point. So, I decided to try checking the clearances with the cover as removed as it would go. I rotated the engine to line up the timing marks, and only then did I notice why the cover wouldn't move... part of the gasket had snagged on an arm on the exhaust camshaft (which I guess is for a cam position sensor?!?) and when I rotated the engine it got pulled aroung the camshaft!
    No choice but to cut it, and managed to remove it from the camshaft... was then able to fully remove the valve cover.
    Net result shown in picture.
    Thinking I can just trim these ends an refit it... that snapped bit doesn't appear to have any function, it's just a remnant of the manufactur process.

Any thoughts?

NB: Exhaust valves all .28mm, intake mostly 0.15mm, with 2 at 0.13mm... so right at lower end of limit... sounds good, right?

Attached Files:

2. Lock

Lock Active Member

Looks like the plug hole seal - which if the fiche is correct has been modified to only have one 'tang' on. Might form a seal once cover is fitted? Think the are only about £5, on back order though so might take a week or two - are you fitting new cover gasket as well, if so might be worth waiting to get some new ones of these. How hard was it to check gaps, was going to do mine whilst I had tank off

3. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

It's not the hole seal, the bit I'm holding that has snapped links the outer gasket to the diamond-shaped bits that seal the spark plug holes. Fairly sure I can just trim off the excess and leave it un-linked.

To answer your question, if you're removed your tank you've now got to remove:
    - the whole airbox... can be a faff getting the air intake snorkel out, but it's not too bad
    - throttle bodies... need the world's longest screwdriver to undo the rubbers securing it to the head... then a LOT of gentle leverage to persuade them upwards
    - the valve cover... well, re-read my post for how much fun I found that particular job!

Once that's all out of the way it's actually not too bad. Access to the actual gaps is not great, especially on the cams that are obscured by the cam securing fittings. My feeler guages are quite long, which made it easier.

I would suggest if you're going that far, have a think about replacing spark plugs (or at least checking them) and air filters, and also if you want to do any mods. I did the 'flapper mod' and the 'pair system mod' some time ago when I last had the airbox off.

4. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Just cut it off, it's just there so the gasket is made and shipped as one piece.

gasket.jpg

Definitely as good a time for this kind of stuff. This weekend have stripped down the CBR to do my valve clearances. All my inlet valves are in spec but the exhausts are all a bit tight so have ordered a shim kit and will finish the job next weekend...

honda.jpg

Everything is a slow job on this bike but pushing the rad down and out of the way without draining it meant I could get the air in take and the cam cover out through the front relatively easily.

Also stripped the front end of the van to fix a low boost error and stripped down the KTM 1190 to adjust the valves on that (I think they were all slightly out).

We'll feel good having done all this stuff when we can get out to play.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lock

Lock Active Member

Are you guys fitting new cam cover gaskets (or just adding instant gasket to existing) - seem pricey at £62 from Honda! Should check mine as when the previous owner got it serviced about 6,000 miles ago the garage reported tight exhaust valves (but in tolerance) - that's if they really checked them!

6. dern

dern Well-Known Member

I’m just using a thin layer of ultra black again.

7. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

I just use a smear of RTV sealant, because the Japs are able to machine two flat surfaces that fit together!
    The clearances always tighten up because the valves hammer themselves into their seats. If you're going to the trouble of adjusting, aim for the top end of the tolerance.