RR8 air filter seal

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Mrbarry, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Mrbarry

Mrbarry Active Member

Ok so I have just done a full service on my RR8 and swapped the air filter for a new one. I decided to fit a HiFlow 1931 filter rather than a genuine Honda filter, but it is hard plastic and I don’t think it will make any sort of seal to the air box. The old Honda filter had a soft rubber edge that you could feel ‘squishing’ against the box as you pressed it into place, it is clearly not removable from the filter it was moulded as one piece.
    I complained to Wemoto who, in all fairness to them, said a refund would be no problem if I wasn’t happy. I don’t want to abuse their good will if the filter should have a seal tho, that’s just not fair, I don’t like to take advantage of people who have potentially done no wrong. They sent me the attached picture showing a seal that is only available as part of the air box assembly. I was hoping some one could tell me if they have changed their own filter and did they find any evidence of a seal please. Or did their filter have an integral seal like mine.

I am sure there will be many opinions on quality, flow etc of differing brands but that’s not something I’m concerned about. The bike has more power than I have balls and I’ll assess filter quality every 1000 miles when I inspect the filter and housing.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Just a thought, but is it a case that the seal has just come away with the old filter? If so, could be peeled off, put back in the housing and used again?

3. Mrbarry

Mrbarry Active Member

No it’s definitely a one part seal and filter. I tried separating them by pulling, then by sliding a new sharp Stanley blade between the two only to end up with it looking a mess. I service all of my own cars and bikes and as a rule most filters I buy come with a seal on the filter that doesn’t come away, but not always I admit. I am just confused this time why the differences. I guess buying from the dealer is more of a guarantee you get the correct part. If you can find a Honda dealer who does bike spares these days but let’s not open that can of worms here.

4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

The fowlers site is good for finding parts and you’ll instantly get the price and knowledge of if its in stock or not.

5. Mrbarry

Mrbarry Active Member

Thanks I’ll take a look

6. Mrbarry

Mrbarry Active Member

Checked and they only sell the air box as an assembly with an indicated seal, same as Wemoto. Fowler’s are also double the price of Wemoto. A genuine main dealer supplies a different filter for my bike with a built in seal, they supply it according to VIN number. I would like to get hold of a seal and see if it fits my bike.

#6 Mrbarry, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. Iain

Iain Active Member

You must be looking at the wrong place = the seal in your earlier pic is just over £5 on Fowlers website, although out of stock at the moment.
    Other online parts are available at Lings, Honda of Bournemouth and of course David Silver.

8. Mrbarry

Mrbarry Active Member

Ok thanks. I may not be looking so well i am in the pub. I’ll try tomorrow. Thanks for helping

9. Mrbarry

Mrbarry Active Member

I think you’re viewing item 5 tho. That’s just a metal clip. The seal is part of item 3. That is £161.33. I could refit the K&N out of my spare parts box for the price of the oil to clean it up lol. I am not a fan of oiled filters that’s the problem.
    I appreciate your help however thanks.

#9 Mrbarry, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  10. Iain

Iain Active Member

Then is it just a difference in design and manufacture or the filter? There will be a reason the one you have is cheaper.

11. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I have gone inside the airbox on my RR8 a couple times generally to vaccuming road debrit and insect which means removing my OEM filter.

THB I didn't notice nor looked for any detachable seal on the filter nor the box. If howfolw doesn't have the same edge sealing as the OEM, I would not use it.

Having said that, they have good range of OEM alternatives and may be worth contacting them to enquire about the difference & why.

12. Mrbarry

Mrbarry Active Member

Honda won’t reply to my emails. They are terrible for customer service. Hate to say it but I wouldn’t buy a bike from them again.

I ordered some 5x3mm self adhesive foam/rubber from amazon for £2.99 and stuck it in the ridge where the seal should fit, the hiflow filter fits snug and makes a good seal against it now. I didn’t fit it until this afternoon so tomorrow will be my first chance to road test it.