RR8 Engine noise after warming up ?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Lucky13, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

So I haven't riden or listened to many RR8's so I'm not sure I actually have a problem, maybe it's just normal engine noise.

Anyway when I start the bike from cold the engine sounds fine, nothing overly loud just engine noise that you would expect from a 1litre but when the engine warms up after 5-10 minutes it all gets a bit louder by maybe 50%, again no unusual noises just louder.

The bikes only got 8k on the clock and the oil is as clean as a whistle, no excessive oil burning or smoke, engine has excellent power but it's just a bit noisy once warmed up...

I've had a read of all the other engine noise threads and I'm pretty sure the CCT is fine, no rattling chain. The noises I'm hearing are just legitimate engine noise but just a bit louder then I would like.

Are these engines just a bit loud after warming up or should I upload a few audio files to double check it's all normal ?

Thanks

2. blake7

blake7 Active Member

difficult say without hearing it. Upload a clip so we can hear what you are hearing.

3. rebel

rebel Active Member

it shouldn't get louder when it warms up if anything it should get quieter

4. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

maybe the oil viscosity is not right. At high temperatures oil becomes more and more running (thin) and can cause clattering (ticking) of the bearings, cams or valves.
    if it's the oil getting too thin, then try one stop high visco (30>40 or 40>50)

5. Lucky13

Lucky13 Active Member

View file Cold Engine

View file Hot Engine

Probably best to really turn the volume up or wear headphones as it's hard to tell the difference without it

#5 Lucky13, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  6. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I'm no expert by any means, but to me it seemed to be loudest midway along the bike. Could it be the exhaust blowing a bit? ...after it's warmed up and expanded maybe the joint with the headers is a wee bit loose? o_O