Running a bit rough

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by cuddlystudmuffin, Aug 16, 2012.

1. cuddlystudmuffin

cuddlystudmuffin New Member

Just had my Blade serviced. New plugs, oil, filters. Seems very rough and coughing a bit in low revs. No smoke and doesn't appear to be misfiring. Kind of sounds like it bubbling? At speed or acceleration its fine but goes all grumbly when I roll off the throttle and slow in to 2nd or 1st. Any ideas. Sorry but I tend to worry these things are worse than they are. Just wanted reassureance she wasn't going to die and I could leave it until I had a chance to get it back to garage next week

2. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

What year/model is it mate?

3. cuddlystudmuffin

It's 2005 1000rr. Has an aftermarket Akro end can. I've only just bought it so I don't know if it was mapped or not. Wondering if maybe the new filter, plugs etc. have exposed it?

4. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Don't think it'll be anything to do with the map mate. I wouldn't be running it though. Better taking it back to get fixed properly.
    It's possible that they haven't seated a spark plug properly, though this is just a guess and if you've already paid for the service I wouldn't be touching it.

5. phantom

phantom Active Member

are all the pipes ok under the tank,
    nothing pinched or a vacuum pipe thats come loose?

6. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

7. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

When I swapped to my Scorpion end can, at very low revs, and with the throttel JUST cracked on, mine does "burble" a bit... I think it's the mapping... At times in slow moving traffic it'll go like BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH-BUH... Just because the exhaust is loud and deep that I hear it, me thinks... Only on Barely cracked throttle...

Or like taking a 90 degree short bend in maybe second or third gear, tip it in, crack the throttle, BUH BUH BUH BUH BUH... give it some more gas, and all is well... Does not feel like that power wise, just sound wise...

NOTE - This is MY experience on MY bike, I am not saying that yours is fine, just giving you my experiences...

• Like Like x 1
  8. cuddlystudmuffin

Took it to work today and it definitely in very low revs, doesn't feel at any point like its going to stall. Open her up no smoke, no stutter. I think ill take her back to the garage to be sure but the head is telling me it needs a tune. Can't see if any tubes are off or blocked. Too lazy and inept to attempt any complicated repairs. Thanks to those who've replied. Appreciated :)

9. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Taking it back to them sounds like the only option if it was all okay before going in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. cuddlystudmuffin

Took it back today. All in order. Needs a tune as running lean. They don't do that kind of work, any idea how much it is to have tuning done?

11. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

Why do you think it is running lean??

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. cuddlystudmuffin

That's what they said to be honest. They checked exhaust valves, plugs etc. I was told that the bike didn't like the end can as it was just popped on without mapping. Having new air filter kind of exposed the issue. Said that a pc or possibly better air filters like k&n might help but really it needed mapping to suit end can.

13. cuddlystudmuffin

Mine's exactly as you described Andy. Just a very slight hesitation on a barely cracked throttle abd a gurgling buh buh buh sound. Opened up and there's no issue. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to bikes and cars. Can't live with little noises etc. They just said its a symptom of of changing an end can and it could cost me a huge whack to get it mapped and tuned so it depends if I want to live with it or if it bothers me that much

14. MrB

MrB God Like

What filter did they find in the air box, was it standard ?

Sound a bit of a fob off to me, sure, what they are saying is possible but if it went in running OK it should be able to come out running OK, they must have done something to upset the bike.

15. cuddlystudmuffin

Think it was just standard. It wouldn't be valves would it? The bike hasn't had that done as far as I know. It's had service to spec at 1000, 4000, 8000, 12000, then annual (oil and filter) at 15k, 17k & 19k.

16. LornaW

LornaW New Member

Mine has started doing the same thing. 2005 model. Very low mileage 4500miles. Picked it up a couple of years ago with 2000 miles on it. Very original bike. Been standing a while.
    I've used it a bit but recently dropped a plug. Fitted new plugs and did oil and filters at same time. Before the plug went bad the bike started to stutter at low revs and when setting off. It dropped onto 3 so I assumed the new plugs would fix it.
    It now runs great on choke when cold but as soon as it's warm it doesn't want to pull away from standstill at low revs. Slip the clutch and then keep it over 2500 revs and it's fine however much or little throttle you give it. It pulls like a train over2500 revs. Smooth and clean. I have seen several posts with this problem on the web. I will report back if I get to the bottom of it! I'm guessing it's a sensor gone down causing a fuelling issue as one minute it was fine as nd then it wasn't!

17. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Hello and welcome, any feedback to the forum can very useful, I have an 07 and have had problems with fueling in the past but somehow managed to sort it.

18. Wes

Wes Active Member

CBFA4716-1353-4643-ADEB-016FF7D730BA.jpeg 91B9E4E0-97BD-47B5-9C76-BFA3AAEE45F7.jpeg CBFA4716-1353-4643-ADEB-016FF7D730BA.jpeg 91B9E4E0-97BD-47B5-9C76-BFA3AAEE45F7.jpeg 79A8A202-D98D-41E3-8BA2-7DEE9AE7A930.jpeg
    My bike today. Similar issues. Replaced the fuel pump last weekend and still not correct. Feels flakey below 4000rpm but very strong further up. It actually stalled as I went to pull away today.
    Just to throw a spanner in my thoughts I pushed the horn whilst limping home and the bike kind of died for a split moment. As you can see I’ve just started my investigation but the voltage was 14.5V whilst running and 13.13V switched off. Seems borderline high and not sure which direction to begin.
    Any suggestions welcome and should I of started my own thread sorry. I’m a reader here not normally a poster sorry.

Attached Files:

19. LornaW

LornaW New Member

I noticed at first the problem with my blade started when the bike hit 76 degrees and the thermostat opened. I ran it again last week and the problem then started at 60 degrees but then the engine temperature display didn't go over 77 degrees even though I knew it was hotter and the cooling fans kicked in. I'm now wondering if it's a temperature sensor fault giving bad info to the ECU causing a poor fuel mix. It may be one to check out. I may not have time to pull the bike apart again for a week or two but wil report back if I find anything conclusive!

• Like Like x 1
  20. LornaW

LornaW New Member

An update to this one.
    I haven't had time to do anything with the blade last few weeks but I decided to drain out fuel and put a bit of fresh in.
    Started her up and ran fine on choke as before. As it started to warm up a little bit (approx 58 degrees on the display) I raised the revs slightly up to about 2200 where the engine turned fluffy sounding. This is with the bike in neutral on the sidestand. Within a few seconds the cooling fans came on. This obviously shouldn't happen at this temp. The bike was hardly warm let alone hot. I'm guessing the problem is now a faulty temp sensor giving duff info to the ECU?
    Giving it a poor fuel air mix hence it bogging and no power at low revs. (This problem now gets worse as the bike gets hotter eg. In standing/ slow traffic for a few minutes. It runs too well at higher revs to be a cool or plug as it's not a true misfire. It's more a misfuel.
    Hopefully will get time next week or two to have another look. Will report back!