Running wire underneath tank

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Alan Devon, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Alan Devon

Alan Devon Active Member

This may be a stupid question but how do I lift the tank on a 2018 blade? I have put a phone mount on the fork stem and it has a charge cable that attaches to the battery. i had it on my street triple and was easy to lift the tank and run the cable underneath. There is so much plastic /fairing involved on the blade I don't know where to start!

2. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

3. bladerunner03

bladerunner03 Active Member

Hi Alan,
    See here for the tank components
    https://us.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5847801/cbr1000rr-fireblade/shelter
    But fear not because whilst the shelter as they like to call it is comprised of number of parts it comes off in one lump.
    There are 2 allen head screws at the front (part 17 above) and another fastening under the seat but I cannot remember what without taking mine off you can see the empty holes in the picture below which is a picture of mine with the shelter removed. Note around the fuel cap there is a rubber ring. This will make it difficult to remove the cover, but once you know its there you can apply some more pressure.
    Also at the rear of the tank under the seat mine had a cover over the ABS pipework whilst I think it may not have been fitted on some models.
    Once I got past the rubber ring on the cap it was an easy job and there was a load of space to run the Garmin wires back to the battery.
    Be careful however of the part marked 18 which is a push fit into a rubber grommet, these have a tendancy to drop out on reasembly and can be a bitch to find.
    CCBR100017.jpg

4. Alan Devon

Alan Devon Active Member

Thanks guys
    It did look like a complicated bit of plastic but now I know its all one component I feel happier. i appreciate the help.
    Will give it a go at the weekend.