S1000rr

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by mpitman, Aug 14, 2014.

1. mpitman

mpitman Active Member

Bad news for the s1000rr!

Just had the first service done at 670 miles, took it out to give it some beans today and no front brake!

On closer inspection the calliper has what appears to be iron fillings in it and the fluid has run out, the bike has 710 miles on it now?

Never had this problem with the blade!

Anyone had this issue? I have never had anything like it. BMW assistance are on route and I will keep you informed of the findings.

Not happy:mad:

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Hope it get sorted, sounds like a lucky escape considering the potential outcomes.

3. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Glad your OK ! thats awful, hope they find the issue and pronto

Sure some of the ABS blade owners may disagree on the no brakes comment :(

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

That's not good, I'm glad you are able to write about it as this could of had a completely different out come!
    If just service so you think it could of been emptied and forgotten to be filled or do you think it's a malfunction of some kind?
    Either way I would be expecting some info from the dealer and an appology plus compensation or some serious goodies for the bike.
    And I'm sure they wouldn't be able to refuse a full refund due to a lack of confidence in a vital part of riding (off that's the route you wanted to go down)

5. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Sorry to hear of your plight........ your lucky it was nt worse.......as of yet I ve had no problems with mine and shes on 2500 miles from new...... keep us posted

6. scooby

scooby Elite Member

sounds like they may have fucked up on the service.

best advice I can give is to get shut and buy a blade,they never have brake issues.oh err wait a minute.......:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. exfire

exfire Elite Member

As has been said, sounds like a servicing issue. If it was OK before the service then that seems the most likely cause, although I expect they may concoct some story about it not being their fault.

8. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

So its not just a "Rusty sump" then with these BMW things ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Presume you still had a rear brake, so no panic then :eek:

10. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Suspect they bled the brakes for some reason and didn't tighten the bleed nipple!

11. mpitman

mpitman Active Member

Ok the fluid was leaking from the brembo calliper, they have ordered a new one but I'm not happy with the blasé attitude that I'm getting from the service department.

On the USA s1000 forum some guy had a similar failure, his front pad delaminated whilst he was trying to reduce his speed from 140 on a track day and the rest was history, he was uninjured thankfully but imagine that on the road!

All you legal eagles out there where do I stand about getting out of the deal? Confidence my be a little low on it from now on.

12. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I would of put a small mark (dot of paint somewhere unseen) somewhere on the old part to see if that part was replaced or just topped up fluid

• Like Like x 1
  13. scooby

scooby Elite Member

whe you (they ) say leaking caliper,do they mean a seal,or a fault in the casting on the caliper itself?

14. Givover

Givover God Like

I would say this bike has one of the best braking systems " current" as it was ok prior to service this obviously must be the problem sounds like poor workmanship and the calliper is getting the blame. ......But we will see.:(

15. mpitman

mpitman Active Member

Just don't know they have been very unclear, just keep saying they have never seen it before, also brake fluid all over the tyre, paintwork and engine, that can't be good.
    I'm really not happy with the service, not even a sorry!

16. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Sounds like they have stripped a thread to me.

17. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Thats worse than my brakes done up fecking tight on one side and the retaining bolts loose on the other:rolleyes:Bloody main dealers!
    Glad you were ok cos that could have been nasty.

18. mpitman

mpitman Active Member

Do they touch the brakes on the first service? Must just be a one off they are brembo ffs! I just don't think they have realised the severity of the simple fact that my front brake experienced an catastrophic failure, I always use the front brake first had I REALLY needed it it would have been game over.

19. keithg1748

keithg1748 Active Member

I would do what martinowen said put a mark somewhere on the caliper and take a picture and check when you get it back, and if so would go further about it , it could have been a lot worse.

20. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Unfortunately mate, you have just experienced what tens of thousands of Beamer car owners have suffered with for years, its all about the image nowadays, not much substance underneath.