Sale of the Century

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by nigelrb, Jan 26, 2019.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Been a productive with a heap more cleaning and Autosoling. Found a main exhaust hanging bolt missing from beneath the motor at about the halfway mark, so that's on my parts list. It's looking like MSP ( https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/aprilia-parts/2005-rs-50-motorcycles ) is about the best with availability and prices, but I would be heavily influenced should anyone have other recommendations. I'm needing only incidental bolts, but will replace gear change lever and linkage because it's loose and bent - not that I'm against loose and bent.

Ah, also need a battery. I'd had it on charge, but after standing for a couple of years it's just shot. Was a bonus that it started with only a 3 metre push. (I'd drained the carb and put fresh fuel in) 50cc is a breeze to start. Just walk beside it and drop the clutch in second. Piece of piss! Bellows of smoke - but that's to be expected. Damn tacho has a prob. cables turning okay so must be the gauge:(. Did a couple of laps of the estate and all seems good:D.

Tonight is fibreglass and paint touch up night. Rear seat cowl has broken bolt holes and decals have been scraped:mad:. Will start studying manual to prepare for fairings installation.

190202 2.jpg
    190202 1.jpg 190202 3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Keep it going and keep the pics coming. Be interested in seeing how the bolt hole repairs work.

How ‘bout a vid of the thing revving and smoking away :)

3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'll try. I'd have to latch on to @Lozzy 's conspiratorial You Tube account!:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Tell you what Nige I bet you've got one!
    Just click on your videos on your phone to share...and I reckon the utube will come up along with all the others, like mine did. I pressed it and next minute it's uploading into the site under my name :eek:

Just make sure it's the right homemade video you post :confused: ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Can't do any of that yet. I got sticky fingers!!:eek:

Woops - better explain that one! My house smells like a friggin' fibreglass boat building factory.:rolleyes: The Glade Vanilla and Magnolia air freshener is working overtime and there's every chance I'll wake up in the morn feeling high - or permanently anaesthetised:D.

But one must soldier one for the cause. 2nd application tomorrow and I'll have the windows open. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Second application of fibreglass. Just think of these pics as the 'during' in before and after;).

Next phase will be to file, sand and shape.

190203 1.jpg
    190203 4.jpg
    190203 2.jpg
    190203 3.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Making headway.

Next stage is cut back and feather in and then top coat. Pending weather, I might even be able to assemble the rear end of the bike tomorrow:)

190204 1.jpg
    190204 2.jpg
    190204 3.jpg
    190204 4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

with the tacho problem nigel make sure the cable is not broke because sometimes it can still spin(get caught together, if you know what I mean) when it is not under load, but when put in the clock it then gets pressure on it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I had a shock the other day
    was on my phone on youtube and just happen to click a little symbol on the screen and what was on my phone came up on the tv, biggest shock was the volume was up and sh## the life out of me:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

nice work though nigel:)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Result! Finished the rear seat cowl. Very pleased. You'll note that I've even hand detailed the 'Spain's No1' graphic on the right hand side. (Locating hole will be drilled into left side of top pic when aligning with rear sub-frame.)

190205 1.jpg
    190205 2.jpg
    190205 3.jpg
    190205 4.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  12. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

can't wait until i get old.

oh no there will be no pension then:p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Blimey, that's pretty darn good @nigelrb

I am impressed with your skills.

Great job!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Had a great day today piecing together this jigsaw. As anyone who has removed fairings knows, there is a particular sequence in reassembling. I had the rear cowl and side panels off a couple of times before I figured it. Just like Honda, there is little room for negotiation around some brackets etc.

I have a new clear screen and screws but will leave that until I am sure all the fairings and air duct slots in properly. Starting to look like a proper bike (and cute:)) and so disarming to know it's only a chainsaw motor. (In fact there are chainsaws with more than twice the capacity:eek:)

190209 1.jpg
    190209 2.jpg
    190209 3.jpg
    190209 4.jpg
    190209 5.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  16. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Looks like the same engine as my boys old MX 50
    Used to eat plugs and pistons:(

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'm sure it'll be eating a lot more than plugs and pistons carting around this hunka, hunka, burnin' love!!:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Set myself up for a big day today. Finished some bits and pieces such as a pillion strap attachment I couldn't figure out without aprilia forum assistance, changed gear levers from the second bike because it's better, put fairings on and then found left side has the posts broken from which a small centre piece screws into. Now building up the posts with fibreglass and will drill and tap later this evening.

Had a nice new clear screen in one of the tubs of goodies. Took it out of the plastic and Mr Sheen'd it and then frig me - it didn't fit. Didn't have a clue what it belongs to:rolleyes:. Dropped the number into Google and it turns out to be for a Ducati Multistrada. It'll be on ebay very quick! Purchased a new clear screen for 39.00 from: https://www.slipscreens.co.uk/ (Maybe the link will help someone - prices are good.)
    Will make a comment about Chinese fairing screws in the 'Chinese Parts Debate' thread.

190211 1.jpg
    190211 2.jpg

I'm almost feeling gay!:eek::) This is such a 'cute' bike:D:D

Think I might have to buy white leathers and white boots. That's what 'm talkin' about!!:cool::cool:

• Like Like x 5
  19. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Looking good that @nigelrb. I bet the guy you got it off wouldn’t believe you’d been able to get it looking like that so soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, I fully agree. In fact, he might even be peed off.:D Of course I have the benefit of more available hours given that I'm now in my twilight years:( and having been a motorcycle mechanic many moons ago most things fall into place reasonably easy for me.

The other thing is though, is that I'm eager to get cracking on the other one with the black fairings!:) I might turn it into a 'Chesterfield' but not sure yet.
    RS 2.jpg

• Like Like x 1