Sat nav

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Jandy, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

Hi all looking for a motorcycle sat nav or does anyone use an alternative??? Cheers

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I use a Garmin 595lm, but then I tend to use their kit for 2 wheel/fitness stuff. Works well but their adventurous routing is more aimed at Adv riders as it loves putting you down single track roads even when on thr minimum settings.

TBH if I was buying again I might be tempted by a TomTom as the one I have for my car works well.

Others use their phones but that doesn't really work for me.

3. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Navmii on the phone work great and calimoto again on the phone

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. raphael

raphael Elite Member

Waze is another option on the phone

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Tin foil hat time again folks:

Using the phone - isn't Mr Googleey and Mr Facebookhead spying on you and collecting data - data that might be slightly incriminating should you accidentally break a speed limit or take a wrong turn ?:rolleyes:

My understanding is that a Sat Nav is a passive device that stores information, but does not transmit anything - it only "transmits" the data that it has logged when you connect it to a computer and the internet.

I seem to be invited to "update" my Sat Nav periodically. My guess is that this is just a ploy to get you to hook the thing up to the net so they can skim the data. :D

So that is how I look at all this - use a Sat Nav and once the thing is up and running never plug it into a computer to receive "updates". Certainly not going to use a phone for Mr Googleey and Facebookhead to spy on me all the time.

Currently using a TomTom 400 - the first ones of this range when they first cam out. They have improved them since. With mine the touch screen does not like any kind of wet fingers, especially, wet fingers in wet gloves - which is odd as it seems to be at the same time extremely sensitive to rain drops. So menus can be triggered at random by the rain drops but the wet fingers are unable to bring the display back to what you actually want - like where is my hotel/petrol station or where the .... am I.

In fact mine has started to leak water and has misted over inside - which is not a good sign with electrical things - I think I am going to gently boil it, to destroy the evidence that it has accumulated inside it. :D

I trust this has answered your question.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

The new satnav follow everything you are doing and will send you a different route if there are delays or road closures ahead.

7. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

tomTom does a good range but compared to phone apps, very expensive.
    dedicated sat nav only receive signals from GPS satellites so it is a one way comm.
    If you have live traffic update, then you could end up with a two way link.
    To my knowledge, all smart phones apps report your position to their server unless you go off line. When it comes to privacy, you just have to be extra diligent to set up your privacy options but my philosophy is once they have your data, at some point someone will gain access to it legally or illegally:rolleyes:

8. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Tin-foil cat is watching you ride...
    tinfoilhatday-3.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Nav mii works better when you turn the mobile data off

10. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

So if something is “storing information as you’ve said” that could be used to give an indication of speed etc! so If the police confiscate that and can read the data they can than use that in evidence you are screwed anyway

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spygoat

No matter how you look at it, the rozzers will throw you to the ground and stomp the hell out of you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Maybe, but there is no point in handing it over voluntarily is there ?

The worrying thing regarding stored Sat Nav data is that one of the manufacturers was sharing data with the authorities - not that of individuals but generally. They were looking for roads where people were speeding specifically and the Sat Nav manufacturer provided that information.

Another thing that I noticed with a previous Sat Nav was looking at some of the recorded logs, that were plainly ridiculous - on a Suzuki V-Strom 650 this is 2mph - 252mph in about two seconds then back to 2 mph again in another two seconds - plainly absurd. There were other numbers that were also completely wrong but maybe more believable in the 80-100 mph range that were also completely false.

That is the worry because I could plainly argue that I never did 252 mph that was within the logs of the Sat Nav - but I could not so easily defend myself against an equally false accusation of 80 mph or 106mph, or 97mph.

Who knows what false things these devices are recording.

Concern over being spied on by your electronic device, and where that data goes, is a very real and legitimate concern.

13. Spygoat

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

14. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you’re that worried about being spied on you’re giving the game away by having a pc, smart phone, Internet, electricity meter, gas meter etc

They can already see what you do! Where you live, what you spend your money on, who you’re having an illicit affair with!

When they know all of that what’s to worry about breaking the speed limit and it being stored on a gps/sat nav/ smart phone

Just live your life to the fullest I know I do! You could get run over by some geriatric in a mobility scooter tomorrow and then be fecked!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

:cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
  16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Agreed - but the gubment will not lock me up for for having a can of Coke and a Snickers for breakfast.

So have ordered one of these to keep the blighters out of my business - brilliant idea :D

Faraday cage.png

17. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

It was TomTom that sold data to the Dutch Police.

As said GPS is a one way system, however add-ons like traffic alerts are normally 2 way for a SIM in the device. Logs will be saved, most devices have a clear data option, and spurious readings would not be admissible as any force that tried to prosecute you for a ridiculous speed recorded due to a GPS glitch would be laughed out of court.

I don't do facebook or it's ilk, I minimise my Google usage despite being on Android for about a decade, my Windows boxes are all Enterprise edition to minimise telemetry, and I mainly use Linux when I can.

However it is a modern techical age and unless you want to miss all the "benefits" you have to allow a certain amount of "intrusion."

If not then hand in your debit/credit cards, don't use a mobile phone/tablet/computer, get an old CRT TV, sell your bike/car so they can't ANPR your plate, and hope your bank doesn't close the local branch as you will only be using cash from now on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

+1 it is a balance of giving away some privacy against using modern technology.
    I was impressed by apple a couple of years back who refused to US government request to hack into a suspect smartphone. Sadly while this was happening the US used a firm in israel to do the hacking. The firm whose name I can't remember sells its services worldwide including the saudi's who hacked into their journalist what's app to track his moves and kill him.
    If I could afford it, I would go for a dedicated sat nav on bike

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Agreed, privacy is a balance.

I do not much care that "they" can tell what purchases I make, and many other consumer type choices - they can sell each other that information to each other all day - couldn't care less really.

But you do not get fined and points on your licence for that kind of stuff, but you might if they can hack your phone and find out you did 60mph in a 40mph zone if you get my drift.

Mobile phone will go in the bag :D

20. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

If they start that my phone will never go out with me again

• Agree Agree x 1