Scottish Borders / Northern England run out

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Alblade, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Part 1 of 3

Had pre-booked and paid for accomodation with some old uni mates to go Mountain Biking in the Yorkshire Dales, but the impact on my foot meant no biking - so thought I'd be sociable and head up on the Blade.
    Had exchanged a couple of PM's with Colin from this site about routes so headed off from Grinton (near Reeth) early morning.

View from hostel over valley
    [​IMG]

Took road via Reeth
    [​IMG]

and over to Barnard Castle - mad road more suited for a motorcross bike but following views made up for it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Note improved duct tape look reduced crash damage impact!

Stunning view - just need to watch for sheep - road was wet so not belting progress, but also after 2 nights of heavy rain loads of gravel over roads where you did not expect it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crystal clear morning

Blade looking very lonely!
    [​IMG]

Next stop was Middleton in Teesdale for a coffee, then onto 'High Force' on the road to Alston - never visited it but knew it was a popular spot - while not quite Niagra it was pretty good to see it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    For Firebloke - camera resting on handrail, timer, long exposure!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Part 2 of 3
    Headed to Alston - cracking road but always mindful of grit etc. over road - and streams running over apexes after rain. Fuel in Alston then up to Brampton, before heading east to pickup road to Langholm on the A7 - was marked on a map as a good road, but progress was slow - mainly due to pheasants running out the hedges all the time, and just generally being too tight / twisty.
    Hindsight is wonderful but should have gone to Longtown for fuel, then direct up A7 which is cracking road - but you need to try new routes.

Once on A7 'swift' progress made to Selkirk - its a good road to a tramp on - stopped at 'Fletchers' for a spot of lunch (an old milk bar by a shell petrol station) then headed to Inerleath and Peebles. Somewhere on this road it started to rain, heavily so its waterproofs on - more fuel in Peebles just to be safe and road was biblically flooded - rivers running over road. Overtook an Elise who did not trust road conditions and then stuck behind an X5 who took great delight on going through all the puddles creating huge waves. Found myself making a few where even in middle of road water was 2 / 3 inches deep.
    Colin had said take the A701 toward Moffat so I did - and luckily the rain stopped and quite soon road was damp then dry - just as well as I knew this bit of road was a cracker from a recent blat with The Firebloke

View of typical borders shot from above Moffat
    [​IMG]

And similar shot with a bike in it
    [​IMG]

This bit of road feels like the 'veranda' on the TT course - really fast flowing with great visability
    [​IMG]

Once in Moffat I had a choice - while not on a strict timeframe it was getting on - but Colin had mentioned a 'hidden gem' of a road from J14 of the M74 heading towards Thornhill. Took some resolve to take the detour as time was getting on but if you ask for routes why ignore them!
    The road in question was simply stunning - and the old A74 next to the M74 also very good - only downside was risk of hitting a sheep or 2

Had to stop and tape this - prob. saw 4 cars in 10 / 15 miles
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once in Thornhill it was head for Dumfries and Gretna for the motorway south - could have gone back up that road but time did not allow - one for a return trip for sure.

Sunday morning was another stunning view
    [​IMG]

Headed west along valley and picked up the 'Buttertubs pass' towards Hawes
    [​IMG]

Buttertubs pass - again empty but sheep risk, and would not want to have an interface with that fence at any speed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon in Hawes - stopped at Pennygarth cafe for a quick break then onto Leyburn
    [​IMG]

#2 Alblade, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Part 3 or 3
    Went to Manor cafe for a tea - its just above Leyburn and aimed at bikers - does well and worth a visit.
    [​IMG]

From there headed home via Ripon / Masham and the road to Pately Bridge
    [​IMG]

From Pately Bridge went to Long Preston to pic up a road to Clitheroe I had been told about but never found - its the road to the station if you ever need to find it.
    Good route and stopped at Slaidburn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Good cafe (felt like a tour of tea shops at some points)

On leaving village was amazed that such a small village had this stunning bronze memorial in its centre
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there picked up main road to Manchester and home - cracking 2 days, almost no rain and really shows you don't need to wrap your bike up in a blanket at the end of September.

saturday route
    [​IMG]

Sunday
    [​IMG]
    Link http://goo.gl/maps/qm6xW

#3 Alblade, Oct 14, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Great right up mate. Really enjoyed reading and brought back great memories of my wee one man mission up to Skye and west coast Inc a ride out with Colin, stayed at Peebles on night one funny enough lovely place....

Keep promising col I'll be up soon as e is going to give me a guided tour of the Borders ;)

Not sure you was on here then - have a look http://1000rr.co.uk/touring/4607.htm

#4 Jimbo Vills, Oct 14, 2012
  5. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Nice write up Al, thanks for sharing. some cracking roads and stunning views
    Jimbo, I'm sure a ride out will be on the cards next year with a couple of over nights. Watch your letter box for the invite.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Honestly love it up there, had a blast and as good as any roads I've ridden in Europe with arguable better scenery!

Def want to go again so might try and do a cheeky 4 dayer again in the spring...

Keep me posted!

• Like Like x 3
  7. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

great read was that, you certainly rack up the miles on that blade :)

8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I've had my monies worth out of it that's for sure - much to the annoyance of my mates it keeps working.

I'd love to see a Ducati cope with what that bikes been through and keep working

9. Givover

Givover God Like

Great write up Al (The nick Saunders of the forum) I go fishing in Slaidburn ''Stocks reservoir'' Theres more old Trout in there than Devon !

• Like Like x 1
  10. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

So glad you took that little gem of a road there Alan. It's unreal when the weathers right, I've seen myself do that road twice both ways on the same day :)

There's so many roads like that around the borders area. For sheer beauty though, heading up the west coast towards Skye has got to be done. I'm sure with very little persuasion we could get a few guys on here together for a tour in the Spring time ;)

11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Won't take much mate! All I need to do is convince the mrs to go on a four day girly break lol

12. Swiss T

Swiss T Active Member

I enjoyed reading that Al :)

13. cbr1

cbr1 Active Member

really good read that mate. never been up scot on the bike. would love to get up there especially with some one who knows the roads so u can let rip :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alblade

Alblade God Like

If you are in Wigan all it takes is a day - blast up M6 to Jnc 36, A6 to Carlisle via Penrith then M6 again to pick up A7 to Edinburgh - easy - but a guided tour way better!

15. bladebhoy

bladebhoy Active Member

loving your pics, i know all those roads around moffat and peebles, glad you had a great time.

16. Jonny fireblade

Jonny fireblade Active Member

Excellent write up and photos, stunning area m8 love it and not far from my place luckily for me:)))