Scratch on Fuel Cap

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Lock, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Got a really annoying surface scratch on Fuel Cap - other than covering with aftermarket stick on carbon look sticker, any ideas on how to easily polish this out? Guessing cap is aluminium and lacquered? Also looking to clean up footpegs too so guessing can use the same treatment. Not looking for shiny polished finish (that's all i can seem to find from web search) just the matt/brushed look. Cheers

2. Dave86

Dave86 Member

It doesn't happen to answer your question but I managed to scratch my aluminium swingarm, must be a way to get scratches out of aluminium?

3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Best advice I can give you is to use fine grit wet and dry; then use scotch brite to finish off - I normally use a green pad, you won’t ever get it to match exactly, you’d need to do the whole thing really then have it re anodised (clear) or put some clear coat on it to stop it oxidising over time. As a metal worker I can say that I wouldn’t bother doing mine, I’d either find a replacement part or cover with a sticker; but I am super lazy!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lock

Lock Active Member

Might for now just put carbon sticker over the top as gentle rub with green washing up sponge already made it look worse - as you say whole lot needs doing really then refinishing. Shame can't pop out the key barrell (can't seem to find a how to on that) as could get good second hand one. Oh well plenty more to do on the bike yet!