Scratched wheel repair

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Stevie_d, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

So Wednesday I take my bike to a large well known bike shop . 2 new tyres to be fitted to the bike . Michellin power rs £270 fitted . At a glance look good , go to clean the tyre grease off to find the 18 year old kid fitting them has scratched my front rim . About 6 inches long . I go back and complain to the manager who saw my wheels beforehand and can only apologise . Now have to take the wheel in for repair . I demanded a new wheel twice and get fobbed off with . The painter we use will make it like new . Is this good enough ?

2. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

No .....demand a new wheel is wasn't damaged when you went in and if your like me I will always be looking at the
    Repaired area.

3. levin

levin Active Member

Maybe allow them to repair it on the condition that if your not 100% happy with it , that they then replace the rim

• Like Like x 1
  4. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

An insurance company if you had an accident would only repair a scratch if the wheel isn't damaged physically so expecting a tyre company to replace a 2 year old wheel for the same reason is probably expecting to much!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

An insurance company if you had an accident would only repair a scratch if the wheel isn't damaged physically so expecting a tyre company to replace a 2 year old wheel for the same reason is probably expecting to much!

6. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

My concerns are

1) I'm assuming the orange wheel was powder coated from the Honda factory ? If so then someone partially spraying a powder coated wheel . Begs the question will it look as new , also as it's on the edge of the rim will the repaired section of paint come off at next tyre change when levers and or the tyre machine come into contact with the repaired area . If so then further down the line I won't have any come back ?

7. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Also an 18 year old apprentice who did them , implied I may have done the scratch myself by cleaning the tyre grease off with an in clean cloth . Ludicrous in itself . Been back to see the store manager who insists on just a partial repair . I don't agree with it really so asked for the company head office details to take it further

8. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Bike shop. Not a tyre shop by the way

9. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Bike wheels aren't powder coated from the factory

10. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Ah ok , so that means they would be painting a damaged section of wheel and filling it as well . Is that gunna be good enough or come away st the next tyre change with levers or machine on it getting the old tyre off ?

11. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

If done properly they should strip the old paint and then prime and respray, shouldn't have a problem if like said done properly

• Like Like x 1
  12. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Use the link below to find the name of the CEO of the shop. Email and lay out your case with photos etc and explain what you want and why.
    99% of the time I have used this method I get the desired result (not ever with bike wheels it has to be said :oops:)

https://www.ceoemail.com/

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Just put everything in an email to the head guy , it doesn't make very good reading or look good for a big shop like this . If I were in charge I'd be livid

• Like Like x 1
  14. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

looks like you fell victim of the high profile front end business who employ inexperience or idiots to do the work and charge you a fortune for it.
    If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys! Sadly this why the words workmanship and quality long migrated from our shores!
    Manufacturers try to use as little paint as possible (save weigth & increase profit) so chances are your wheel paint is quite thin.
    Ther are some good wheel refurbishing companies around and if you get the garage to pay the bill, it may be better for you to have it repainted with a good strong layer of paint

15. Iain

Iain Active Member

This all seems a bit over dramatic. Wheels get scratched when tyres are changed, no big deal, hard not to in many cases. The manager has offered a solution, at his cost, so he just lost out on probably a £10-£20 profit on the deal, assuming they were loose wheels.

If it's your pride and joy, find someone else who will charge a bit more no doubt, but really, a scratch whilst changing tyres is not a big deal.

16. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Have to say a scratch on my bike would be a big deal to me. And scratching wheels isn't part and parcel of changing tyres.

17. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

@Iain are you for real , I pay £270 for 2 tyres fitting to my bike . Stressing the importance of a good job and have it damaged . It's not just a scratch it's a 6 inch groove cut into the rim that I can get my finger nail in . God knows what condition your bike is in if you think this is acceptable stuff ffs

18. Iain

Iain Active Member

@Stevie_d look again at your first post, its starts with a scratch, which you did not even notice when you picked up the wheels, now you say a 6inch groove. No pics to see how bad it all is, so yes a scratch is not a big deal, 6 inch groove might be depending on how bad it really is. £270 for two tyres is not a bad price is they are the latest Michelins, like I said, the dealer probably made £20 on the deal.

#18 Iain, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  19. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Call it a scratch , groove or whatever
    It could be either . The fact is it's crap workmanship in my eyes . On my pride and joy . Simply don't expect it . I've dropped the wheel off for them to fix this afternoon . That's one big motorcycle chain I will never be using ever again

20. blake7

blake7 Active Member

I'd be as annoyed if my wheel was scratched. Modern wheel change machines are designed with plastic/rubber protection on moving parts to avoid damage.

If the operative knows how to use the machine correctly then there is no excuse for wheels getting damaged.

• Agree Agree x 5