Second Bike Options

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Marc, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Coda

Coda Active Member

No, I was just joking. Tho I can't think of any decent bikes which aren't Hondas.... :D

2. Marc

Marc Active Member

No, doesn't have to be Honda. Think I'm conscious that the bike I buy will be 20+ years old and I want something I can ride in all weathers and not worry too much that if I fail to clean it immediately after a ride it won't turn to dust the following day. Having had two 90's Honda's in the past (NC30 and VFR750) I know that Honda's build quality from that period was spot on, paint seemed to be just a bit thicker than any other manufacturer. I did also have a Thundercat though for a few years and that held up well to all year riding so I won't be completely blinkered.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Coda

Coda Active Member

I've had mostly Hondas but my two Yamahas were a lot of fun (1978 DT100 and 1990 FZR400). I wanted a Thundercat back in the day, mostly because of the cool name I would even consider one now, or maybe a Thunder Ace.

4. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

I think the most obvious choice you’ve missed my friend is, trade the wife, they are far more expensive to run than a years worth of beer and a couple of bikes, so ultimately do the man maths, trade the wife and then you can have 3, 4 or more bikes and not stop drinking, happy days all round.

We’re all the same, the obvious answer is just staring us in the face but we can’t always see it ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Marc

Marc Active Member

I'll look into it but the potential divorce costs concern me. That and the fact she'd fit panniers, handlebar muffs and a sidecar to the Blade, just to spite me, not sure I could face it :eek:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Coda

Coda Active Member

That is some serious War of the Roses shit right there. Don't let her lock you in the sauna.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Gen 2 sv. With ethanal in fuel do you really want to entertain carbs? Personally I love carbs over injection , but time has been called for carbs.

8. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Car for slow
    Bike for fast
    Just buy what you fancy
    Sell it if you don’t like it
    Keep it if you do
    Loved my vtr(10 years) but love my blade more

9. Marc

Marc Active Member

Bit of an update on this one. I applied to go on ‘What Bike Next’ which Bennett’s Bike Social film and put on You Tube. I got in so was down at the Donington branch of Superbike Factory on Wednesday just gone.

Basic principle is I give them my brief and they choose 3 bikes for me to try. I’d upped my budget to £2-3k. They chose a Fazer 1000, FZS6 and Hornet 600. Now I’ve never been a big fan of Fazers looks wise so they were on the back foot from the off but I did find the Fazer 1000 not bad. Engine nice and grunty and the brakes were far better than the Blade. 600 version was a bit disappointing, has the R6 engine in it allegedly but it just felt gutless. Maybe on a summer day, bouncing off the redline it’d be ok but riding the midrange on a country road in February was less impressive.

My last ride was on the Hornet, an 03 model. Absolutely loved it. Didn’t want the test ride to end, was grinning from ear to ear. Far more fun than I’ve had on the Blade since I got back from the IOM in August TBH. So much so that yesterday I viewed one locally and paid a deposit, collect it next Saturday. Keep an eye out for Episode 4 of ‘What Bike Next’, should be out in a week or so.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Marc

Marc Active Member

I may live to regret this but……let the ribbing commence:

• Like Like x 6
  11. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

I really enjoyed the episode. I feel the format of the show is pretty good.

Glad you love the Hornet, thats awesome.

Share some pics when you get the bike!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. TonyEmm

TonyEmm Member

I watched it last night and thought it was the best one yet. You came across well. The Hornet is a popular bike for very good reason so you have made a great choice. Get it coated in XCP rust blocker and enjoy it all year round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Coda

Coda Active Member

I normally don’t watch that show because a) copy of Used Bike Heaven and b) No Fran in leathers.
    I will make an exception for you though :p

14. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Quote - "Fundamentally I ride for fun". My thoughts exactly Marc. Great choice. Now showing Mrs Bladey in the hope......:rolleyes:

15. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Nice one @Marc , braver man than me! You came across well.

Love a Hornet, first time I rode one as a Fireblade owner I knew I had to have a naked bike to compliment it.

Got any pics of your new bike?

16. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Cracking watch. I’d disagree with your choice tbh. I was after fourth bike for similar reasons. Mainly a commuter. I bought a CBF1000. RR6 engine in a tourer chassis. Half fairing like the Fazer. Just epic. Great bike and so different to the Fireblade. By comparison, my son had the last VFR800 registered in the UK. I prefer the CBF for general duties. So I’d have gone for the thou Fazer.

17. Marc

Marc Active Member

Thanks all. Not the greatest pics, one when I went to view it and one at home in the garage. Picked it up on Saturday, already done 200 miles on a mix of roads and a mix of weather. Love it, so easy and fun to ride.

15942365-63DC-4422-93A1-67EC36811F13.png 05E60CFE-04F7-4E45-A15C-BA4EA45E0BA3.png

• Like Like x 4
  18. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

Both bikes look great.

The Hornet is really impressive. I believe they have carbs, and that would be my only worry personally. But I guess as long as its serviced it should have no issues.

19. Coda

Coda Active Member

I watched this episode this morning. Definitely agree one of the best.

@Marc I was impressed with your ability to analyse and reason, I wish all civil servants had the same abilities :D