Security for Motorcycles

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Remal, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

With me looking for a new bike I've been thinking of security. I don't like Alarms and not had ones on my bikes for years. never needed one as the bike is a toy for me. But because of the bikes I've been looking at I may need to look at more security then just my Almax Chain and ground anchor plus garage security.

So was thinking of looking into A tracker and I like the Idea of a Pinch Pin. Just unsure what to look at with regards to 'both the tracker and Pinch pin and sizes. Anyone use any of the above?

Just interested to find out more

cheers

Below I but a post from our Arthur about trackers from a very old thread. for reference and to show the search works well
    QUOTE]Cheap trackers locate by cellular triangulation! That's it, in other words it's fully dependant on the mobile phone network for comms and for location, both can be hit or miss. BikeTrac uses its own internal GPS for location data and the network if need be, plus the system logs it's location all the time leaving a bread crumb trail of data that's fed back into the network, it also has a VHF transmitter built in to help pin point it's location, all of that data can be viewed by the owner on the portal, it also works in Europe etc and your ebay bargain may not or rather will depend on the sim you have installed, your subscription pays for a team of operators that monitor the system 24 hrs a day, plus in the event of the unit being set to stolen they help the police track the bike, they also have "other" methods they can use to get location data that they will not disclose. I install a good few BikeTrac transponders and rate them very highly, they should be installed in a location that's hard to get to so be sure your dealer is doing just that and not just chucking it under the seat, the internal battery lasts for yonks should the bikes power fail, normally if I move the bike three feet or have a geo fence setup (an invisible fence that if the bike leves the system goes into alarm) they are on the phone within the min./QUOTE]

• Like Like x 3
  2. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Whats a pinch pin? and what I wouldn't give for a tracker right now!

3. graemewalker

graemewalker Elite Member

i have the bike trace 2 of them swear by them u get what you pay for

4. gixxerjim

gixxerjim Active Member

Im sorry but that's s load of shite in my opinion.

Biketrack has its own gps?
    There doing well.

I use gps every day for surveying in construction, pay over 2k a year to get corrections (via internet via a data only sim card) to get our marking out/recording as accurate as possible. (About the size of a golf ball is as good as it gets)

We use gps (yanks) and glonass (Russians) satelites.

So how exactly do they have their own gps?

Tracking - bing maps? Yep.

The only advantage is the rf signal for the cops to trace (but they need to be within range).

Sales print that in my opinion.

5. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

I'm really impressed by the iPhones 'Find my friend feature' i use it with my family phones and it works brilliant for approx location.
    I really think I'm going to attach a shit but working iPhone 4 to the bike and charge it at the end of each week.
    not perfect but I reckon it will work for a fraction of the tracking cost.
    thoughts??

6. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I think what "has its own internal GPS" means is that it has a built in GPS locator,much the same as my iPhone has its "own" GPS,and not that BikeTrac or Apple have their "own" GPS systems.
    I looked into getting a tracker fitted when I got the bike new a few years ago but never got round too it,fortunately I live in a low risk area and bike is garaged every night with an Almax and ground anchor. That said next new bike i'm definitely getting one,and not one that relies on just a mobile phone signal.
    Be quite interesting to see what results you'd get with an old iphone,i'd imagine the problem would be where to hide it securely but still have easy access to charge it.

7. CBR-Pete

CBR-Pete Active Member

I have Tracker monitor on all mine, it works out quite expensive however it's a small price compared to the crap you go through when you have had one nicked. Only got to move mine a few feet and they are on the phone asking if I can see the bike, even phone when they are in for a service. It won't stop the skumbags nicking it but the old police seem to jump on the job faster as there is a far greater chance of recovery and maybe even a toerag to nick. I look at it this way, were all happy to spend hundreds even thousands on our pride and joy what's a few hundred compared to a total loss. It's now the first thing I have fitted before I even take it out the showroom.
    I do feel for anyone who has had a bike stolen however, If you don't have a tracker are YOU doing everything you can to keep it safe.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

cheers for the feedback all

With regards to trackers the reason i'm looking into them is because of the bikes i'm looking at and the insurance MAY require more than a locked garage, and good lock and ground anchor

9. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Jim, I think you have jumped the gun, "own" gps as in, it has a GPS installed, I.e a GPS module, rather than those that simply don't... MOST cheap trackers only use mobile triangulation to get co ordinates.

Also as I said, RA work to find the tracking in the event of theft, NOT the police, most forces don't even have RF locators... You pays your money and makes your choice...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Rickc

Rickc New Member

So security. It's all about deterrent.
    If the scumbags are determined, nothing is going to stop them, so make life difficult for them.

My approach:

Cover it when you can, if leaving it - don't let them know what it is. You are less likely to be the victim of an opportune theft.
    Datatag everything in sight. If it's covered in UV/DNA paint they recognise they are going to have a harder time selling it on as parts.
    Disk locks x 2
    Oxford heavy chains x 2 when parked up in garage either through ground anchor or wrapped around a pipe in the garage.

Mate of mine commented that surely they can cut through the pipe. I pointed out that the pipe is probably the best deterrent of the lot, it's a soil pipe from one of the flats. So if they cut through it, they are going to get covered in a serious dosage of s***.

Last but not least - biketrac.

Had fitted to more than one bike, and would swear by them.
    Okay not cheap, but having spoken to a few insurance underwriters, they are beginning to take far more account of whether a "commercial" monitored tracker is fitted, especially if you are in a high theft area.
    Talking to some of the local traffic cops in the West End (off the record) commented that you are likely to see them react quicker, as there is a high probability of getting the bike recovered, and capturing parties "red handed" doing wonders for their arrest rates.

Does it really work ?
    I think as commented elsewhere, move it with the ignition off and the sms arrives, anything other than a few feet and they are on the phone.
    Only thing I keep forgetting to do, is turn off their operations center notifications when it goes in for a service. They appear used to that happening, and by location seem to know it's in for a service at local dealers.

They have had a few problems in the last year, not of their own making. They were using the orange data network, and with it being transferred over to the new EE networks, some issue with messaging from the units. Ended up providing a new replacement foc, and bunging a few months extra credit on the support plan.

They do have some drawbacks --- Mate of mine, also has biketrac fitted, part ex'd his bike last year, on the quiet without her in doors giving the nod of approval. Asked for the unit to be transferred over to his new ride. Not quite sure what the mechanic actually did, but looks like he pulled the unit out of the old bike with deactivating it fully. In doing so put the biketrac down on its side, and hey presto "bike down" alarm went off. His other half is on the alarm recipients, who immediately was on the phone to him.

"Why are you out on your bike and not in the office. Oh and by the way are you alright ?".

Further note: They are also coming out with an improved web interface, some extra functions and seems to work better with smartphones (was on demo at the Birmingham Show ).

11. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

good to hear Biketrac seems to be good and to be recommend by people on here means a lot .

I don't park my bike and leave it for hours at a time. Well almost never apart from when I toured Europe.
    As I said the main reason is due to looking at the Ace and H2. So thinking of ways to reduce the large sum it's going to cost to insure one or another

12. wilbert

wilbert Active Member

Best and cheapest method would be to bring back hanging and hang low life thief's / scum murders etc. Bollocks to the human rights groups they just cause the average law abiding person more problems.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Do what the Saudi's used to do with thieves chop their hands off and brand them! If they can't wipe their arse they can't swipe your bike

14. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Been looking at how easy it is to jam gps signals these days as jammers are cheap and easy to buy, just stick it on the bike and all gps signals will be jammed while they nick your bike? Bloody thief's want stringing up :(

15. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

I'm currently looking at bike trac. That uses gps, GSM, and rf so hopefully they can't all be jammed. Also they're not cheap at 300 notes and 99 notes per year subs. Still, better then giving the scumbags a freehand.

16. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Now the big question...if I go the bike trac route do I advertise it on the bike ( and give the scumbags a heads up ) in the hope they'll leave it for easier pickings, or do I leave it un-advertised in the hope that the bike can be retrieved before it disappears/ gets broken?

17. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I do reckon Biketrac is the way go, the simple mobile phone type can be jammed wirh a simple £50 jammer :(
    I to an thinking of the biketrac
    To advertise or not is a good question

#17 SimonRR, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  18. raphael

raphael Elite Member

My friend is a licensed installer of these and know's the company well,might be worth looking if he can get some sort of deal?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bobzilla

Bobzilla New Member

I put Datatool/scorpion Trakking on mine. £250 fitted, £66 for first year (get a quote from the bikeinsurer and you get a discount, but you have to call) and then about £300 for 3 years. Trakking doesn't log your path and time, so no speed log.

20. graemewalker

graemewalker Elite Member

I would not advertise due to the fact they will probably trash your bike plastics just to get to it then it would prob be wrote off with insurance,leave it non advertised imoh bike trac all the way

Attached Files:

#20 graemewalker, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016