Service Interval of 2008-11 Blade

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Bikeracer1098, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Just checked the Honda Owner's Manual and the service interval is every 12 months/8,000mile.

However when I got the first 600 mile service done at Blade Honda Reading they told me that the service interval was every 6 months or 4,000mile (which ever arrives first).

Every six months does sound premature on a road bike!!!

Even Ducati recommend every 12months!!!

2. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Hi bud, hey that's where I got my 2011 hrc from! Great guys. I had my600 mile run in 4 weeks ago and as far as I'm concerned its 12 months till its getting done again, not 6 months!

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I was also told in fowlers Honda and thunder road newport that its 4000 miles or 6 months. told them both to feck off and I normally only do 4k. But may do more this year

I will only be doing my blade every 12 months or 4k.

4. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

4000miles is enough mileage for the oil to do IMO. I wouldn't run my oil for that long personally.

I change mine ever couple of thousand. For the sake of £25 why not?

I change the oils between services myself and get the dealer to do it on schedule to keep the stamps right

5. Givover

Givover God Like

Give the engine the best you can afford and like the boys say in between services as well .i look at it this way ,You are not shy at putting your hand in your pocket for a take away so why not look after YOURS not fowlers pride and joy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. fisher

fisher Active Member

Agreed I usually change the Oil filter every 2k miles, then its gets changed again at service time

7. Bikeracer1098

Bikeracer1098 Active Member

Why?

Just out of interest every 2,000miles, how many of them miles are done on track?

8. fisher

fisher Active Member

So far none on track with this bike, but I used to do around 15 a year, I know Oils have improved over recent year, But this is something I have always done, just like stripping and cleaning the Calipers every so often, It only cost a few quid andf I enjoy doing it, I have mates who never change their Oil......or get it serviced for that matter, and their bikes seem to run ok, so I guess its just down to the individual.

9. Givover

Givover God Like

Agreed .Some how there is a bit of comfort knowing that you have maintained your bike to the best you can afford .The other thing to consider is that although the service intervals are say 4000 miles what stresses are you putting the motor through ie if your game is fast starts all the time and ragging it then perhaps good clean oil at 2000 miles is essential.or if you use it for work only it may not get that hot so again a change of oil may be justified.I am not a Boffin but common sense and protection of your equipment is the bottom line .

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

well I've done 2200 miles since the first 600 mile service. After my trip next week I would have added another 1000+ miles on it and may get the oil changed then.

11. flatstickHRC

The way I look at it the oil on a bike has to work double what a car does. They rev twice as fast and run hotter and the oils lubes the gearbox and clutch.

I change my oil every other trackday or after every club meeting and every couple of thousand miles on he road bike.

I always use motul 5100 and it's about £22 for 4l so for that price it doesn't make sense no to change it often.

12. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

For the sake of £22 you may as well . Do you change the oil filter as well ? On my Supermoto i used to keep the oil filter box and write the date and milage on it to show the next owner how often it was changed

13. flatstickHRC

On my race bikes I would change the filter probably every 3 or 4 oil changes.

On my enduro bike oil and filter every ride (handbook stated every 10hrs). BMW filters are damn expensive too

On my road bike i just change the filters on service interval milage and just drop the oil in between services. The filter will be fine until then.

I provided my own oil to the dealer so any oil left in the filter is the same as what I always use anyway.

14. dan.1moore1

I thought that would be the case . Well It was serviced @ 600 miles and i hit 2600 sunday so I'm gonna drop it

15. flatstickHRC

Yep I had dealer service at 600 and changed the oil again at 2500

I will get it dealer serviced again when it's 1 year old in April.

16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

OK thinking about this

Bought my blade March. between then and 6 months later Sept I will do under 4000 miles. that includes the 600mile first service. Now if from Oct to march which with cold crap weather and salt on the road I do less that 500 miles. I can't see changing it over the winter months or during the 4-5 months I'm not hardly using the bike.

hope that make sense

17. flatstickHRC

Just get it done when it's 1 year since it's last service and your within schedule.

That said there is still a couple of decent months left before the bad weather (that's a joke!) starts so if you change it now you would still get some use out of it.

18. dan.1moore1

No point dropping the oil if the bike is gonna be off the road . you may as well do the 4000 mile service next spring ready for the new season . Looks good in the book if you have serviced before it hits the milage as well i guess

19. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

top idea chaps

20. Bats

Bats Active Member

Serving is daft i say at least every 4000 miles fook the time scale! I change me oil and filter every 1000 miles regardless with top qaulity fully and a genuine filter! me bike has done 1240 miles so at 1500 its oil and filter change air filter blown out! then its away for the winter thats when all fairing off for a proper clean and the forks goto maxton ;)

Might whip plugs out just to alu paste em and see how me bike is running Hey i changed to dot5 and braided lines for the abs beast after 350 miles haha!

BUT its down to the man looking after the machine! 11500 notes on a bike i want it mint at all times!!

#20 Bats, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011