Setting up sag for 2012 model

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Glenn12, May 15, 2014.

1. Glenn12

Glenn12 New Member

Hi what would be a good setting for the road as the manual is hopeless and im finding it mega stiff for the road. I had a 2012 BMW S1000rr and the manual was very good and found a good setting straight away.

Thanks in advance

2. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

What setting do you have in it currently?

3. Glenn12

Glenn12 New Member

Hi all the settings are whats in the manual but it does not show you where to measure from or what sag front and rear i should be looking for. The BMW manual gave me all this info but it was running sachs so didnt know if this showa suspension would be the same.

4. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

How much do you weight? As most find it to soft

5. Glenn12

Glenn12 New Member

About ten and a half stone with my gear on. As you can tell I need a beginners guide to what sag would be good and where to measure from.

• Downvote Downvote x 1
  6. sinewave

sinewave God Like

7. sinewave

sinewave God Like

8. Glenn12

Glenn12 New Member

Ive already seen the post and seen the video I will have a fiddle thanks.

9. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Sines settings worked a treat on my 2012 shox.
    I too found it quite hard coming from the 2011 model. but heaps better BUT having said that one of my legs ways as much as you!!
    :eek:

10. Glenn12

Glenn12 New Member

That's what I thought everybody seems to be a bit heavier which will get the suspension working better, I'm going to take all the spring preload off front and rear then go from there.

11. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Your better off looking at the compression and rebound settings than the preload as this just raises or lowers the bike and it's the others that control how quick or slow the shock reacts to bumps etc

12. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

You need to find the sweet spot mate ;) You normally do this with your weight dialed in on the preload then you need to adjust the rebound for the adjustment that was made on the preload and lastly the compression if it needs adjusted! So it's preload first then rebound to compensate for the preload adjustment and lastly the compression! It sound complicated but if you learn what each adjustment does and what to look for it's not to bad! ;)
    Dave Moss has a few vids on YouTube :) I've kinda worked it out and know what the differences feels like if it's not quite right!
    It all trial and error tho! Even when you get a pro to set up your suspension it's your feed back that he need to adjust everything it to suit you riding! So I watched YouTube bought a book and started to experiment a little bit at a time but the most effective and best change is decent fork oil what a difference that makes :D

Try these

http://www.gostar-racing.com/information/motorcycle_suspension_set-up.htm

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/suspension

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/sportbike-suspension-guide

#12 HRCTrev09, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  13. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

Get the preload dialled in for your weight. Also know as rider sag. It should be set between 25% and 35% of your total travel front & rear. Once you have these settings dialed in, its time to have a look at rebound. The trick here is to get the bike to rebound as one when you push down it. So experiment with that and set it they way you like it. Finally compression setting. I tend to find 1 1/2 turns in from full is ok for most road riding.

10.5 stones with all the gear sounds light. If you find its too hard once you've setup up rider sag then maybe some lighter fork oil or different weight weight springs is needed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sinewave

sinewave God Like

OP needs lighter springs TBH

15. Glenn12

Glenn12 New Member

Ok thanks for all the reply's, I Don't want to take it somewhere to get set up as I want to get a handle on it myself. I had thought of the springs after reading through older posts but hopefully I will put some weight back on as I have lost a bit weight after having some major surgery.