1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I do not need a new lid, any more than I need a new pair of shoes, but hey ........

The logic:

The current HJC RPHA 11 is a top lid, very pleased with it - very happy with it. Nice and quiet, fits really well, easy to use, nice and light weight. Very very happy.

The only issue is that it is a dark Camo colour, and I am not sure that it stands out that well in darker conditions. Summer days, no problem, but winter gloom maybe not so well.

So I need a stable mate for the RPHA 11, a brighter colour, something that stands out a bit more, so another RPHA 11 maybe ?

Well now is a good time to try another brand, just to see how it is, so I thought I would give Shark a go. Nice and lightweight, good enough I suppose - give it a go and ordered this:

Shark Race R Pro - £469 - plus an extra £79 for a road usable tinted visor.

Nice hey ?

Shark.png

#1 Mattie660, Oct 2, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Very nice looker in Honda colours;).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Nice lid I have had that model for 6 yrs still same design have the puniet one as 14 my lucky number ,,,it's been a great really light and stable may get this colour also as need a new one...

4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Glad that you have got on okay with yours - I have never tried this brand before. There are some nice ones - I like the Guintoli one as well, in carbon finish - quite subtle.

See if you end up getting a new bike and whether it will need a matching new lid !

• Like Like x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, he will get one - it's just a matter of which one!!:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I reckon he will get the Blade.......;):D

Camera arty photo stylee....
    ...with the old mobile phone.....
    Shark lid art resize.jpg

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Not sure if Zarco would be selling too many helmets at the mo'. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Not bright enough yeah yeah........ Who are you trying to convince...... The Mrs??? :D

Look we don't need an excuse Mattie...... We just need to satisfy our need to buy things that we don't really need...... We just really really want it!!!

Go buy that shiny new helmet I say...... Its much brighter and safer than the other one...... ;):D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

The shark GP looks great in racing but on the road a bit much had a look at one today massive bit of plastic at the back doesn't look to bad on tv but like having a moulded drain pipe on the back in the flesh...I reckon shoei may do a new top of range lid next year as current one out for 6 to 7 yrs....I find Arai feels boxed in and a bit bulky AGV GP pro sits high on the chin ....will try a load on at the NEC...won't buy from there unless official stand due to my ocd have to have the most up to date manufacture date as possiable I know all ok if been stored well but still ...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

What do you mean plastic drain pipe ---- that is the aerodynamics you silly man - that is importanter :D

Actually, truth be told I would like the Shoei X-Spirit 3, but at £700 is a bit pricey for a second helmet. Also, I have tried Shoei (all good) but never tried a Shark lid before so wanted to try one.

Arai are looking a bit basic really these days and their top of the range is about £800 ?

Never tried AGV - cause of my big fat head does not squish into fine Italian styling !

Anyway plenty of choice for you to try - I hope you find something that you really like and that actually fits properly

This is nice and would have been fist choice in this colour scheme, but a bit pricey and I wanted to try a Shark lid:
    Shoei X-Spirit 3.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'm up for that also. My OCD requires me to have a carbon one to match the Daytona.

Try to avoid the weekend if you can. I did Saturday last year and it was chaotic. I'll leave it until the Tuesday.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Noel

Noel Active Member

I’ve had 2 shark lids both race r pro, head was fine after a spill with the first, so went and bought another.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

I have one of those Shark lids Matt they are fine, I also have the RPHA 11
    You can't have too many lids, problem I have is my Shark is red so it doesn't go well with my R1M

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I sympathise. I also have the helmet 'matching bike' OCD. I now have a surplus AGV red/green/white after selling my Castrol Blade.:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

And we criticise ladies with their handbags and shoes :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Looking good !

Maybe something in carbon to go with the R1M. Some good lids around for £500.

Not done any track days myself.

But I did go to Le Mans to watch the MotoGP in 2018 - and it turns out that Zarco only wore that red/white/blue colour scheme once - at Le Mans in 2018.

So peeled the Bike Park sticker off my Arai and stuck it on the new Shark - I was there :cool: :D

Passeger Moto 2018 resize.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

After a (very windy) weekend of use - verdict:

Compared to the HJC RPHA 11

More wind noise from the Shark - but less engine/exhaust noise.

I can wear my RPHA 11 for a trip to the shops without having to stick in ear plugs. Not sure that will be the case with the Shark.

18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

This Shark is proving to be an expensive mistake.

The wind noise is not really acceptable - I do not expect to have to wear ear-plugs all the time for riding stop-start around here. I will have to use it for trips abroad when I wear it all day, with ear-plugs in - annoying though, wish I had known.

So have ordered another RPHA 11 - hopefully a bit brighter than the Monster Camo version. Really like HJC RPHA 11 so getting another one - like this :)

£359.99 but I notice light smoke visor not included with one

HJC RPHA 11 blue.png

• Like Like x 2
  20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Some of you guys must have money to burn. Friggin' new helmets, new cars, ABBA stands . . . I just can't keep up with you!;)

• Agree Agree x 2