1. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Just found a Agv pista GP R Matt carbon for 589,,,,,as new RR version out at 1200 and hardly any difference , thanks Mattie660 watched all the reviews the carbon one you have bought is supposed to be one of the quietest on the market...enjoy..

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

3. dgr

dgr Active Member

The Spartan turned up today. First impressions are good. It looks smart, the fit is probably better than the RPHA 11 for me as it is a 59/60 rather than a 58/59. There is a spare clear visor, a dark smoke visor and a Pinlock insert in the box. Pretty good for £225 I'd say.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That looks very good - all that carbon, goes well with the bike. It looks as though they have got the visor fittings nice and flush as well, to help with the noise.

Looks very good, and a bargain.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Yes the blue version would go great with my R1M :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dgr

dgr Active Member

It does go well with the Matt Black blade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I hope you do not think I am going on about this, but quite a bit of an outlay involved - with some positive and not so positive results. I have never tried this brand before.

The original helmet in post #1 has turned out to be a bit of an error, because it is quite loud wind noise really, the wind noise is really noticeable even on a trip to the shops. I have used the chin curtain, and the noise seems to be a bit variable on how your head is positioned, but is still wind-noisy.

I still find I cannot really wear it at any time without ear plugs. Everything else OK, it is just that I will have to use ear plugs every time I use it.

This one, the same basic design, but the Carbon model is completely different. I can wear this one around - what I call a trip to the shops - without ear plugs as it is much quieter than the non-carbon version.

Big difference in wind noise - hardly any with the Carbon version, and feels so aerodynamic and light. Amazing.

Class lid.

Shark carbon lid resize.jpg

#47 Mattie660, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Good to hear.....I have had 3 shark lids the 1st one a foggys rep back in the 90s ...I see a new Redding rep out shortly he has a good design...

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I, for one, read every word. Good, unbiased, product knowledge/reports cannot be beaten.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Not at all, always good to read an honest review as personally I am always a bit sceptical of reviews from people who do it for a living.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I am sure;) you're not talking about MCN. I have never read a bad word about any bike or product in their paper. Even when I sent a non-defamatory, well-written and well-researched letter to the editor (with supporting annexes and facts) criticising Honda, they chose to not print it.

Similarly, whilst I am a big supporter of Sportsbikeshop, I often wonder if some of their customer 'reviews' might be skewed.

There is always good advice on here. We have nothing to gain or lose my being honest. My interest in the BMWS1000RR has been diluted by reading posts on here about its build quality and amount of plastics that do nothing to enhance the bike's looks.

And then we have our friend @derchef , not dropping reviews but teasers - and then stepping away from the fallout!!:D;)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Media is a bit suspect these days - fake news the lot of it :D

I do not mind saying if I have bought a dud - which is a bit like admitting to being stupid. But still, I would rather admit to being stupid than be dishonest and lie about something - we can learn from a stupid mistake, but dishonest doesn't teach us anything.

Got there in the end with the Carbon version, although experimenting with new options sometimes means ending up with something unforeseen - and with helmets that can be costly as they are expensive items. This little experiment has cost me one extra lid - not ideal but not a catastrophe either.

Happy bunny, with a new Shark - if that makes sense :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

A truer phrase I have never heard.

Apt description of my marital prowess:D:D.

14. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Very interesting thread.

What I would like to know from @Mattie660 is how this latest carbon dark coloured lid is more visible than the brightly coloured HJC :D

15. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Fair enough.

The original idea was to get a helmet that was brighter in colour than the camo coloured RPHA 11 that I still have.

I would argue that I now have 2 helmets that are brighter in colour than my original camo coloured HJC.

The Red White and Blue lid certainly stands out quite nicely - looking at reflections in shop windows !:D
    The Carbon one, still better than the camo HJC

Agreed that these maybe not as bright as that other HJC that was sent back, but neither was that as bright in colour as others that are available.

I do not commute on my bike, and can choose when I ride, so I can avoid the dark and sometimes gloom of the early morning autumn and winter - so these two lids are likely good enough for what I need. I just do not think that overall camo is a good colour scheme for a motorcycle in a British winter.

Shark lid art resize.jpg
    The Carbon lid may look a bit darker overall due to the effect of the tinted visor
    Shark carbon lid resize.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Was just teasing.
    I love the fact that we have our heads turned by the shiny expensive toys losing sight of the original concept. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Agree.

I believe that was the rationale behind Durex promoting coloured and flavoured condoms!:D
    (although in that case the original concept still remains)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I know you were only testing :D

Class helmet that - a bit of a treat. Wasn't looking for anything other than something practical but fell for that one. Hopefully I will not be tempted again by the next shiny object .......:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Shiny Thing.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1