Shed Build

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TheRamJam, Mar 7, 2018.

1. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

walls are 6ft 6 btw upto an 8ft apex

2. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

I've used the below website to adhere to guidelines so I don't have to apply for planning permission. As long my walls are less than 3m high at the eaves and the roof is no higher than 2.5m at 1m or less from the boundary wall then I should be ok.

The roof at the apex will be roughly 2.5m by the time the finished roof is on.

Does this seem ok or have I interpreted the rules wrong?

Link

3. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Not 100% Just the heights the shed bloke gave me. Think it's only if your neighbours complain that there's any issues tbh

4. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

Let me know if u need advice on the rubber roof. I fit them all the time. Real easy to do. All info is on utube as well. Plus put a small pitch on it so u have more room inside. If u consider tiles the roof has be 15 degrees min. And that's for a tile with a big roll like a Spanish tile. Redland regent or a flat tile is min 18 degrees. But it will cost twice and much in materials and you'd might need help with that.

5. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Just measured mine the walls 7ft and the apex is 8ft4 plenty of run off with the rubber roof and plenty of head space inside

• Like Like x 1
  6. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Exactly what I did with my shed floor Nigel, fitted ply wood and screwed into place......solid as a rock!

• Like Like x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

12 inches thick?? What are you puttin' on it? Half a dozen Goldwings?:)

8. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Planning for the future :D got have plenty of depth for ground anchor too. And I want fill it with bikes when the kids have left home. Got fair amount of gym equipment in there and fully furnished summer house in front half so fair bit of weight tbf. Builder did say we'd get away with less if we'd wanted but rather have overkill than risk it breaking

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cream_Revenge

Cream_Revenge Active Member

^^^^what he said^^^^

10. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Build a garage if you have the space and money , insurance is a nightmare the choices are , parked on the road , parked on your drive , or stored in a garage . Sheds don’t count for bugger all . And if u say road or drive the premium is nearly double that of a garage . So I’ve found the last 3 yrs

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Cream_Revenge

If it has a concrete base, not wood and it can fit a car in its a wooden garage, not a shed.

12. TheRamJam

I have stepped away from an Apex roof to an easier to build lean to shed construction. Its only 1800W now instead of 2500.

LTS.JPG
    Plan.JPG
    Base.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  13. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

Be worth put a shutter/ metal guard (and curtain) over your window depending where it's situated so folk can't see your bike or just smash it to get in. I've left windows out the half of the shed my bikes in just for security more than anything. Couple of strip lights up and it's like daylight in there anyway. Looks a good plan tho, just be worth check width that you'd have space work round your bike if you were doing a big job in there, bike looks to be taking a fair chunk out of the floor space if you needed get both sides of it without moving it for example?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TheRamJam

Good points there Gav. The window will be facing the side of the house. There is a gate to the right that leads to the front of the house where the driveway is but that will 2 cars parked there every night. Therefore if you want to steal the bike you're going to have to lift it over an 8ft high wall or break into the two cars and move them out of the way to gain access to the gate leading into the back garden.

I haven't thought about power yet. Is it easy to get power into the garage? I mean I have put extra power sockets into my house before so no bother wiring sockets together in a ring. But I have no ides how to then get the power from the consumer board and into the garage.

Space is lmited and you're right i can only work one side of the bike at any given time. However i could eliminate the dog leg in the worktop and that will give me more room either side. Those dimesions are rough widths so basically the width of the square is at its widest between the mirrors so the bike will get narrower.

15. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

I used armoured cable just ran it under some gravel along the side of the garden, into a separate electric box on the shed, I've got 5 lights and 8 double sockets in there in total off that one cable got an electrician help me plumb it in tho.

16. Cream_Revenge

The other good thing about blinds is it helps stop condensation in spring. I found that when we have cold nights and sunny warmer days the sun beating in heated the air inside quicker than metal items (the bikes basically) and so warm air on cold surface = condensation. I put blinds up and get almost 0 now. No condensation once this year (because we've had no sun).

• Like Like x 1