Should I replace a 5 year old lid?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by -steves-, Jun 23, 2015.

1. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Been wondering how much truth is in the "recommended 5 year lid replacement policy"?

I have read on various sites that you "should" change your lid every 5 years and retire the old one due to glues, resins etc deteriorating, also that technology moves on within that time and its a good idea to change it anyway.

Just wondering if anyone follows this regime or do you just buy a new lid cuz it looks cooler than the last one and end up changing it before 5 years anyway? Or are you happy to use one 5+ years old?? Do you think it depends how much you have used it in that time?

I could do with an excuse to buy a new lid but mine is only 3 years old at the moment, lol :( ;)

2. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Not sure what the rules are doesn't the date start from when they're sold or is that seat belt harnesses? Either way it makes a mockery of the rule.
    I still have all my old lids and I would wear any of them if it suited me to. I've never gone more than 2 years :D

3. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Depends what page you read, some argue date of first use, some date of manufacture, and some date of purchase, the last one makes no sense at all to me, the others I could potentially see an argument for, if I had to, lol ;)

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I have had mine 6 years now.

I reckon it's worked out on the amount of use a rider would put it on and off their head in a 5 year period.
    I did 1300 miles last year and not much more most years, only ride in dry so I reckon that would extend the shelf life also........maybe

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

From the little I understand it's really down to how you use and look after you lid. If your using it daily for commute in all weather I would suggest to replace it

if like me and many others you are only using it for a blat on the weekend or TD and not using it often. keeping it in a dry area and dark then it should last longer.

But if you drop it then either get it checked or bin it. Again depends on the drop/crash

6. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

Slightly off topic, but something I found interesting, after being told otherwise.

There was a video I watched on youtube with the main guy from Arai, interesting video, and the interviewer asked about the need to replace if dropped, and he said that dropping the lid, was not the same as having an impact in it while riding, as there was no force coming from inside the helmet, and that if there was no external damage then it would be fine.

If I can find it again I'll post it up.

Considering it would be in his interest if everyone bought a new helmet if they dropped it, I assume the information is good?

7. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Did 8 years and over 100K on my last Corsair, and that was about the limit it could take, bits were starting to fall off and un glue themselves..

TBH it's only an issue if you decide to wipe your melon down the tarmac, but even an 8 year old lid is better than no lid at all in that scenario.

8. Greco

Greco Active Member

I would agree with the manufacturers quidelines. Replace after 5 years only if you are using your helmet in daily basis. I used mine for the last 5 years and you can tell (slightly) that i need a change even if i had replaced the cheek pads a few times. I believe the shell construction is wearing with time

9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Some bits of the lid degrade with age, some get worse with wear and exposure to sunlight etc. If the manufacturers say 5 years you can almost guarantee they are playing safe to cover all uses.

I have a 6 year old lid that I only use on track now. If it gets to 8 years old I'll bin it then.

10. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

I wonder if an insurer could refuse to pay out for a head injury, if the rider was wearing an old helmet.....

11. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't think so as
    1 - where's the prof that it was bought over 5 years ago
    2- it's only a recommendation to change, like its only recommended to ware leathers. Otherwise isurers could write off most claims due to not wearing recomended safety equipment.
    If it was enforced to change every 5 years then it would be different

12. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Apparently there is a sticker in every lid made now. Not sure if that's true or not, I read it while reading about the 5 year thing and of course it doesn't stop anyone taking it out anyway, lol ;)

13. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes date of manufacture but not date of sale.

14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

The Courts have already reduced payouts for cyclists who were injured whilst not wearing a helmet, and there is no law to say they even have to wear one. If insurers think they can get away with it then they will.

15. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

I read it's more the sweat inside the helmet that causes the worst degradation!!! It reacts with the EPS liner apparently. I remove the padding and give the liner a wipe now and again with plain water. Too much info on the net, Information overload!!!!

16. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

my mate had his arai serviced at the i.o.man arai helmet area in the paddock and they reckoned 7 years for replacement .

17. Nytol

Nytol Active Member

This was it

18. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

Interesting one this, as when I did my ACU course to get my race licence I asked about helmet ages and the answer was that it didn't matter. So I have merrily been racing in my Shoei for the last 3 years. Only now has it become an issue, as I am off to the Isle of Man to race at the Southern 100 and find that your helmet must be made no more than 5 years ago (3 years for the Irish roads). All a bit alarming, as I bought my X-Spirit2 in 2012 brand new and find that it was actually made in 2008, so it is unuseable. Not ideal. I have run Shoei this morning and managed to get the newest possible helmet I can, but even that is now a year old already.

• Useful Useful x 2