Sky Q, is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Barstewardsquad, May 19, 2017.

1. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

I'll be doing my annual call to Sky shortly as my contract is up and it will be time to re-negotiate a deal. I was thinking about going down the Sky Q route to get more recording.

The higher quality stuff would be good but does UHD/4K come via the satellite or is it dependant on a decent internet connection?

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I'd check that when you call them as I believe that it uses a combination of both satellite and internet feeds for the UHD services to lower the bandwidth through the dish so that they can maintain a larger number of channels.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I have Q for the 4k UHD content and yes you will need a fast interest as it uses both, some of the 4k downloads are 25GB+

The F1 in UHD is awesome picture and I am hoping that MotoGP, BSB amd WSBK will go down that route soon too?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Cheers fellas, looks a non-starter then. Oh well they will just have to give me an even better deal on the price then :)

5. stupot

stupot Active Member

I've had the Q service since it was launched. They have to replace the LNB in the dish as it's a different type.
    It was awful to begin with but now the glitches have been ironed out it's is good.

One thing to note

The q silver box is the main hub and receiver box, to have multi room you also need a q mini box which is wirelessly connected to the silver box( if you get my drift), if you're wifi signal is poor around the house you may struggle. I did to begin with but like I said it's seems find now.
    I'm due to renew in a few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

Have had Q for a while too.
    Multiple recordings, boosted wifi through mini box in another room.
    Can also just move the mini box about to whatever room you want.
    I move mine from bedroom to big room upstairs that has a projector.
    I don't have UHD so don't know what that is like.
    Only issue is that at times it freezes and has to keep being reset every so often.
    Expensive for what it is though, so best to try and bargain with them.

7. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

UHD is awesome, they just need to move all their channels to UHD 4k asap please lol :D but got netflix and Amazon too and they do some 4k stuff too :D