snow foam shampoo

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by bonjo, Aug 16, 2020.

1. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

any product recommendation?
    Something that I can use without having to buy an electric jectwash?
    :)

2. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Isn't that the idea of snow foam?

Spray it on then jet wash it off?o_O

• Like Like x 1
  3. raphael

raphael Elite Member

You need a jet wash to foam it up mate

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Iain

Iain Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  5. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I don't know hence the question. by jet wash, I meant electric presure washer. So something that can work off mains pressure is what I would be after.

Iain thanks, this is the kind of idea I had in my mind.

Besides the tool, any opinions or experience of the actual detergents?

6. Abb

Abb Active Member

I use snow foam from Bilt Hamber mate on the cars and bike BUT it is used via a pressure washer. Used it for a few years having tried lots of different snow foam products, and it is brilliant stuff.

No idea hoe these detergents perform via hose pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bladeaddict

bladeaddict Active Member

I’ve tried the demon foam via the hose. Waste of money it’s go the flow rate of a 70 year old with an enlarged prostate. Just trickles the foam onto the bodywork.

8. Empty_Ten

Empty_Ten Active Member

I don’t think there is a snow foam out there which works on normal hose pressure. All the ones I’ve seen require a jet wash of sorts to get that thick foam effect.

I use carplan trade hi foam through a Pro Kleen Snowfoam Nozzle and a Karcher K2, works well for me.

But anyway, if you want snow foam - Tru tension do a snow foam in a can https://www.halfords.com/motorcycli...-primeshine-bodywork-foam-cleaner-584075.html

it’s not bad, it’s a waterless wash effectively. Spray on and then use a micro fibre cloth to buff/activate the protective layer. It’s not very cost effective though. I reckon you could get 3 washes if you’re very economical with it.

If you have access to a hose though, I like Sdoc 100 cleaner https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/497896

spray on the bike (no pre wetting needed). Leave for 20-30 minutes. Its marketed as spray on and just rinse off but it wasn’t clean enough for me like that. I use a Muc off general purpose brush to scrub the bike down once the 20 minutes is up then rinse off. Much better. It is self drying though which impressed me (Save a few of the smallest and tiniest crevices). Downside is it is also expensive and you then need a separate protective treatment/wax etc. I’d probably get 3 washes out of a bottle if being economical. You need a proper hose to rinse it off rather than just pouring buckets of water over it because it’s quite a thick gel and needs the pressure from the hose to rinse it off

#8 Empty_Ten, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I'd just get Bilt Hamber Autofoam, dillute to 4% and apply with a Garden pressure sprayer.
    They cost a bit more but you can also use a dedicated foamer - these are actually more effective than pressure washer sprayers as you can control the concentrations very accurately, uses less product and water. This is the preferred method by the pros.

I've started to use my pressure washer foamer less and use the garden sprayer for the pre-wash foam, but I do use the pressure washer foamer now to apply the shampoo.

As all with all detailing products just don't let it dry!

edit - reading your post again again, depends what you are after, pre wash or shampoo? pre wash is to loosen grit and road film, shampoo creates a slick suddy surface so any remaining grit can be removed more safely. Depending on product and application you don't necessarily need to achieve a full foam.

#9 Slick, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  10. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Thanks guys lots of constructive feedback.
    I currently use muc off nano.... pink detergent in a pump sprayer on wheels + difficult to reach areas that also have the potential to accumulate greasy road grime as pre wash.
    Slick
    As you rightly questioned , I’m after an alternative pre wash solution without having to buy another piece of equipment.
    I think bilt hamber might be a good solution, I’ll check it out. I’ve been using the auto wash concentrate for many years on both car and bikes.

11. Slick

Slick Elite Member

As a body work pre wash you cant go wrong with Bilt Hamber Autofoam, it doesn't foam too much (by design) it does mean the dwell time can be reduced in warmer weather, IMO your pump sprayer on wheels is perfect when used at 4% dilution. Unfortunately Autofoam doesn't create nice thick foam so shite for intagram posts but definitely cleans well.

If you want more a effective degreaser use Bilt Hamber surfex. For general purpose body work use at 10%, but can be used stronger on non bodywork and even neat on chains etc.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

thanks slick
    while on the subject of bilt hamber, have you got any experience of their double speed wax?

13. Slick

Slick Elite Member

No, only the online reviews. My vehicles are all ceramic coated, so use sealant type products, I'm a great fan of Turtle wax Hybrid sealant wax, when that runs out I'll get the Ceramic version.

Both can be used on ceramic/ non ceramic coated bodywork.

14. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

My car/ bikes paint have gone past ceramic coating. And myself too as I get lazy in my old age:(

I will look into getting autofoam and also the speed wax

15. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

I use the Proklean snow foam lance with a Karcher K5 Compact pressure washer and have been getting good results with Mr Pink from Chemical Guys. Easy spray on, wait 5 mins and then I use a microfibre mitt to wash off.

However I have ran out of that so I might give Auto Finesse a go and their Avalanche snow foam or even try the Lavish foam with ceramic bead properties. I think to get the best from the foam you'd really need a pressure washer.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I have the same PW and foamer combo but with a 15m hose, great for getting round a car but a bugger to stow away! Not tried many foams but BH autofoam definitely a beast on the cleaning front, alot of the time I don't even need to get a mitt out. AutoGlym Polar Blast dwells on the body work for ages really impressive foam, softens up the grit but not so good on general road grime.

17. Slick

Slick Elite Member

interesting observation on foams

• Like Like x 1
  18. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Can't argue with a pressure washer and a good product. Unfortunately for me I have next to no storage space (although karcher K2 compact is small enough but not sure about its suitability).
    From the you tube, it looks like IK foamer or similar is the product that I am after.
    Interesting about the foam being so thick that it may not work properly.
    Anyone for use shaving foam:eek:

19. LowSide76

LowSide76 Active Member

I use Pressure washer and I have 2 snow foams. Valet pro advanced neutral and bikt hamber.
    Bilt hamber is by far better one at cleaning but dont think it is fully ph neutral so may take off protection waxs and sealants unlike the neutral snow foam.

20. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

after god knows how many years, Autofoam is now waiting in the garage & ready for substitution:)

As is the double speed wax. I expecting (hope !) to be impressed by both:cool: