So.....Luggage "Sacrilege" -- one winter project close to completion!!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by mbooth1, Nov 2, 2020.

1. mbooth1

mbooth1 Active Member

After swopping my 2014 for a 2017 Fireblade (which entailed also selling on my luggage equiped CBR6 to pay for the new one & coz it was time to rationalise anyway), I asked the Forum for luggage advice for a trip planned now for next year to the TT on the new bike. At the time I promised to post pics of whatever resulted. So here, to polarize opinions I'm sure, is what I have concocted. All fits but yet to be tested at luggage weight (spring job).
    • It starts with the standard bike (my seat pad raised by approx 45mm by removing cover, adding shaped foam pads and restretching and refitting the standard seat cover) - works well, and comfy. With one inch lowered footpegs enables me to ride bike, as now just over 70, hence knees don't bend as well as they used to.
    • Then added a Kreiga rack BUT raised 10mm to clear the built up seatpad, and so with added foam for sealing underneath PLUS an extra two bolts thru the rack to engage with threaded inserts threadlocked in pillion seat strap mounting points (in such a way that with the Kreiga & bolts off, the seat cowl still fits). I figure these subframe mounting are there to help pillion stay on, and should work same for luggage. The bum pad is off a Yamaha I think, bolted to Kreiga leading edge.
    • Then added a fairly thick aluminium "pannier platform", bolted to Kreiga and also added SW Motech side bars to space out and retain a pair of their panniers. The SW Panniers and side bars came off a Fazar, hence used (cheap), and I made up suitable strong aluminium brackets to mount side bars to pillion footpeg support mountings as pegs are off anyway. On chain side the mounting is shared with a Tutoro oiler I fitted since acquiring the bike and so this influenced the bracket profile (sym opp).
    • I then fitted a Givi mounting plate on spacers & a full size aluminium base plate across the pannier straps, and crowned with a nice large Givi box with a lid rack & integral high mounted stop lamps (that's the trailing wire I did not bother to route for this assembly trial -- although the feed for it is installed under seat cowl from when I fitted alarm last week).
    And that's it -- based on the racks I had on my CBR6, I think it should work OK, if I have any reservation it is whether the pannier platform might distort when panniers loaded but given careful packing I'm hoping not as right now they are entirely clear of the painted rear body panels. It has been constructed in such a way as to provide three luggage options for carrying use, and uses either wing nuts or 10mm nuts for retention, hence just need one little spanner to fit and remove. Options are:
    1. Kreiga rack only -- still with the extra bolts thro but other holes suitably plugged (probably use Honda screw trim fixings) -- suitable for odd day out with a tail pack bungeed on.
    2. Kreiga plus topbox (no panniers or pannier platform or side support brackets/arms) -- good for visit to somewhere where being able to securely store helmet/ gloves and maybe boots in box might prove useful (eg. a race meeting?).
    3. All items fitted -- weekend or longer trip away. 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

Make of it what you will, I'm happy with it. And fitted tail tidy while it was being done too.

Mike

#1 mbooth1, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. Omer

Omer Active Member

When I grow up, I wanna be like Mike.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Not everyone’s cup of tea for sure but very practical as you have detailed. I admire the creativity and application Mike

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. edderby

edderby Active Member

Great job Mike! Full credit for getting your 2017 model to be a comfortable tourer. Who cares if it no longer looks like it's on its way to a trackday - I expect you're going to have a great time on it. I kept my 09 blade for short runs and bought a z1000sx for long trips but you seem to have got best of both worlds in one bike.

5. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I like it.
    Looks a bit industrial at the front, but practical engineering that works. Nice.

6. mbooth1

mbooth1 Active Member

Thanks to all for all comments so far. I agree with Hitch's "industrial" comment on front end. In my defence I wanted to ensure room for rider to stretch back without ever contacting the box (unless to rest his tired head/helmet on it's backrest while in the ferry queue!). The added bumpad was my attempt to soften appearance and protect back of leathers (and one can also stow the small rainsuit roll on flat area there, readily available, with a couple of small straps. But the Kreiga rack, the only bit I bought new, is to say kindly indeed industrial in design. In all honesty it's cost is a real rip off for a bit of CNC cut/folded aluminium sheet, a few bolts, and some bent/welded steel with four rubber plugs. And of course the "sealing" foam for underneath which doesn't (seal that is) even if you haven't lifted the rack like I did. When you unpack that foam and follow the instructions to install you know for sure Kreiga price is taking the Michael -- but we know we are being ripped off everytime we go to the accessory shop, unless it's called Ali Express. But they don't do a Kreiga look alike unfortunately.
    Mike
    PS: but the pillion seat cowl came off Ali Express at £18+, delivered, with a perfect fit and colour match!

#6 mbooth1, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Looks like a great job.

8. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Think the tail tidy looks great matey, well done.