Solar lighting kit for garage

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bash1k, Oct 5, 2015.

1. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

Guys, I need to find a solar lighting kit for my new garage as there is no mains power. It needs to be really bright as I'm using it as a workshop but I an struggling to find anything suitable. I've found one called the SolarMate IV SM2804 ES and LED kit which is perhaps the one that seems to best suite my needs, but once I've bought the kit and battery its over £300! Does anyone have better / cheaper options or have any experience with them?

ps - there is no way of getting mains power to the garage before anyone says to do that!

Any help is appreciated

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

@sinewave is your man - but I know what that sarcastic mofo will suggest! I wont though :D:rolleyes:

seriously, why cant you get mains power?

what about 110v stand lights.... run on an extension lead and transformer?

I just cant see solar lights being good enough, specially in winter when you want them most....

3. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

I feel your pain mate but there is another solution....
    night-vision-goggles-stedg-nivedg-a_2.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

@Jimbo Vills - the garage I have is a standalone garage and isn't part of my property or anyone else's for that matter, in fact it's about 5 minutes away from my flat. I've heard some ok things about some of the solar lighting kits but I want to make sure I'm getting something decent but cost effective.

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

How about a genny? There are a few that are small and quiet. Will run lights and a few other bits

6. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Ah ok... Get ya. Hopefully solar will sort it then mate, honestly don't know how good they are?

Sure you can get battery powered task lighting too - maybe an option?

7. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

Yeah I've thought about a genny but don't like the idea of constantly running petrol... plus I'll be inside and don't fancy the fumes!

I'm going to keep on hunting for advice / reviews etc. I'm even thinking about making one myself - I know squiddly dit about electronics, but if I get a strong enough solar panel, run it through a solar charge regulator I could charge a car battery to run some 20 watt fluorescent lights off it. If anyone thinks that sounds right / wrong let me know! :confused:

8. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

9. jamie meads

jamie meads New Member

How long do you spend in this garage when it's dark?

10. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

Well there's no windows! So let's say 5-6 hours a day at weekends...

11. sinewave

sinewave God Like

No Cheap option I'm afraid.

Solar PV Instal with a Battery Bank would give U what U want, however it would be cheaper to find a new Garage to rent that has Power if U need that much and for long durations

12. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

13. jamie meads

jamie meads New Member

I was going to suggest about 6x 3 hour non maintained led bulk heads. They Would give you good amount of light and you could stock spare batteries and just charge them at home but you will destroy them within a month of fully discharging them regularly. A good unit comes in at about £20-£30 and spare battery's would vary for about £5 retail depending on manufacturer.

14. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

That's an option, but I'm not sure I want the faff of the constant charging batteries, and as you say they'd be knackered before too soon... would rather a solar panel constantly charging a unit. I've done some research and I think I could build / buy a unit which should give me 5-6 hours of light.

15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Most gennys are happy to be left outside and the power running into the garage. So no fumes.

Solar will be ok in the summer but not going to be that good for the next 6 months over the winter time.

if it's just light then why not buy a car battery and use a 12volt light that you can connect to. We use this for lighting in Le mans and a car battery will last all week + being on 4-8 hours a night. you just need to take it home and change it up on a optimate for 24 hours once every week or 2. and it will only cost the price of a car battery and about £10-£15 for the light

16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

17. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

Or wire a leisure battery up in your car/van as they do in motor homes. That way it'll always be charged.

18. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

I was also gonna suggest a leisure battery as the amp hour ratings will be better for low loads like lamps. Not exactly going to sap huge power for a few lamps and being a leisure battery they are rated for it.

19. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Only reason I did not suggest a large leisure batt was the price. But would be idea due to the size and should last a long time just running a light or 2

20. dansp1

dansp1 Active Member

Is it painted white inside? Makes a big difference
    As suggested already a car battery and some 12v led lights should last for ages, maybe a cheap solar panel will be enough to keep it topped up