Solutions for wrist ache

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dmc12, Feb 19, 2019.

1. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I've actually been looking at these on eBay.. ...might give them a try cheers @Nytol

• Like Like x 1
  2. Shutty

Shutty Well-Known Member

So ref the pins n needles i had this, its the neck muscles trapping the nerve going down the arm.. sold the blade before seeking help of a Osteopath, several visits later totally sorted and just do a few stretching excerises and 60 sit ups a day and back on sports bikes

Few things to try
    Take the sports screen off and go standard, puts more air pressure on the body at a slower speed and keeps you off the bars

Tank grips made a huge diff

Exercising the lower back for strengh is key, more muscle use here, less on the wrists, you should when fit be able to ride with no weight what so ever on wrists

• Like Like x 1
  3. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Carpal Tunnel syndrome sufferers with be more aware as you may have pins and needles and numbness in the three fingers and may find you get woken up in the night and need to shake your hand out to get your circulation back. Mine was unable to be shaken out in the end and the op was the next step for me. If it becomes more common get a splint to correct the wrist angle whilst sleeping and it may go away.

4. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

for years i have suffered this on clutch wrist , so on last bike fitted a set of ASV levers and this helped almost instantly shape and adjustment

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Come on @paul1966 . You're having a lend of us:). Surely that's what you told your wife/partner to justify the expense of ASVs?:D;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

she said it was the best £29.99 a pair spent ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I get wrist ache and can`t open my hand to grip the brake.
    I put it down to old age and working on the roads:(

9. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Something that’s a terribly bad idea about holding the bars like that?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Or Naaarfork genetics :rolleyes:

Screenshot_2019-02-22-10-14-00-1.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

There was a video on YouTube a while back which was more aimed at body position and how where you hold the throttle affects this. One of the benefits was also less pain in the wrist.

Cant find the vid but think it was a French guy with subtitles...

12. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

as a last resort once you have tried all other more exciting suggestions (which I m sure most of us have triedo_O), try grip puppy (not it is not a sex aid!), bar raiser or scott oiler throttle control.
    Now if you get arm pump, we will know what you,ve been up to

13. Alan Taylor

Alan Taylor New Member

It will more than likely go away after a while, squeeze the tank more with your knees and keep your arms lighter on the bars. It's good practice anyways.

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think this is a very restrictive style. As soon as we place too much pressure on a specific muscle group, in this case thighs, we are, in effect, creating tension throughout the whole body. I understand the logic of stomp grips etc in their use as cornering aids, but to tension thighs to AID riding seems to me to be counter-productive. I don't dispute that it might aid some, but I think a better riding experience will come from adapting the riding ergonomics to suit rather than compensating with physical tension.

Totally agree with having the arms 'lighter' on the bars, however, this is not easily achieved with the counteractive physicality of tensed thighs. An interesting topic that deserves more discussion;).

• Like Like x 2
  15. chrisleo

chrisleo New Member

Maybe I could suggest it's the 'A' word ... three letters :D

16. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

I have seen over the years so many riders who cover the levers with their fingers.......that's the start of some issues, a lot of riders ride tense, should try just riding with their hands/fingers on the grip and relax.

Same with breathing, when I did track instruction, was constantly telling punters to talk to themselves constantly, that way they could not hold their breath and tense up and lock their arm muscles and any other parts when they started to s*it themselves in corners, at that point a lot of novices stop breathing at start looking at their final arrival point in the wall or kitty litter

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

I catch myself leaning on straight arms occasionally on a long run. <slap>
    Guaranteed to wipe out your wrists.

18. hitch

hitch Elite Member

A strong core (I mentioned before :rolleyes:) is key to light arms...you are then supporting yourself in position rather than leaning the weight on the bars/wrists.

To Kentblade's point re. breathing...my first (and so far only) track day at Brands, the instructors told us all the remember to breathe etc....we went out on the VERY FIRST lap and as I went over/round paddock hill bend to see the drop out before me I had a sharp intake of breath completely stiffened up (not down there! o_O) and ran right across the track onto the rumble strip - I managed to compose myself thereafter by trying the old breathing trick!

• Like Like x 1
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

:D:D:D

I still do this. Not sure if it comes from the two-stroke days of being prepared for a seizure (though now it would be my heart, not the bike:rolleyes:) or just a consciousness of overall preparedness. I find I also have one finger over the brake lever too.

When we think about it, it's totally irrational. Never would I drive my car with foot constantly over brake or clutch!:confused:

• Like Like x 2