Some of you may have experienced this yourselves

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by T.C, Oct 2, 2019.

1. T.C

T.C Elite Member

But earlier today I went for my annual cardio MOT to make sure that my medication was still as it should be.

Walk in and get told Heart is still working (Really? thinks me, I would never have guessed :rolleyes:) Liver is good, Kidneys are OK, blood pressure is excelllent, pulse is fine and you have lost a few pounds since last year, well done.

But by the way, you now have type 2 diabetes........ Oh great thinks I.

Additional medication starts tomorrow.

On the plus side, my diet changed substantially after my heart problems started 4.5 years ago, so just some minor tweaks needed, more to do with quantity and a reduction of carbohydrates as much as anything.

Oh well. Slowly falling apart :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Would you consider a second opinion on that? My mother has had type 2 for approx 50 years. From our conversations I thought Type 2 could only be acquired by the overweight. Given you've lost weight - unless you're still huge - I wonder if the diagnosis is correct?

I am no authority, but seems strange that it's just crept up on you.

3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Apparently it does creep up on you. I have a check every year because of the cardiac MOT and last year I was fine although my cholesterol was a little high and the two tend to go hand in hand. So is a year considered creeping up on you? Maybe...

I am still on the large side, although being 6'5" hides a lot of it, but apparantly it also is or can be heridatory and it is also related to my knackered strawberry tart.

Weight can be a partial cause, but my medication can also be a part of the problem as a side effect, along with the fact that it runs in the family on my mothers side.

The other big issue is carbohydrates. Potatoes, Pasta and the like which I love, especally pasta. It has large volumes of carbohydrate which turns to glucose which the bosy can't get rid of easily.

I am not banned from eating them, but I have to reduce the portion size and quantity.

As My brother in Law found out when he was diagnosed, you are not banned from eating anything, it just has to be done in moderation, although hos was a radical change in diet as he had years of eating junk food to overturn.

So my only real change is just cutting down on the portion size of my pots and pasta. 99% of my diet changed when the old pump packed up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I got a letter from the doc the other day inviting me to a 6 month program for T2 Diabetes prevention - did the enrolment but it’ll be 4 weeks before they get in touch with the details. Apparently I was flagged from previous blood tests. The thought of no chocolate or biscuits (as they are my only real sin) doesn't thrill me

5. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Now strangely enough I have not missed either of those. I have not had a cream cake in over 4 years or any sweet dessert.

The only treat I do miss is my salted peanuts and cashews.

Not that I can't have some from time to time, but my problem is I can't just have a few, I have to have a whole packet :( So I sort of know where you are coming from.

But that said, you do get used to it

I never thought I could survive on a fluid intake of maximum 1.5 litres a day, but you get used to it.

6. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I’ll let you know what the outcome is once they’ve got in touch but I’m sure whatever it is its only going to depress me. As I’ve said before I have a good diet, avoid fried stuff and lots of fresh veg and salads. Don’t drink much at all and have never smoked. So the only scope for improvement is portion size (which i am guilty of) and the chocolate/biscuits.

7. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I hope it goes OK for you.

I said the same as you when I saw the nice lady this morning and she said that it doesn't matter, there are so many other potential causes or combination of causes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Following on from my post earlier in the week about how chuffed I was at obtaining the MiDAS qualification, and as a follow up to this original post, the week has finished on a high (well for me anyway)

I had my diabetes review today.

When I was diagnosed in October my HbA1c level was 89, well above the recommended level hence the reason for the diagnosis.

I did not need to change my eating or diet habits too much because much had already been done due to my heart problem

So imagine my delight when my nurse told me that my HbA1c had dropped in around 6 months to 49.

Apparently for a diabetic, anything between 48 and 58 is deemed a good range, if I can drop below 48 then I would be considered a diabetic in remission and if I can drop below 42 then I should be able to come off the medication although I would still have to continue with the blood, eye and foot checks every year for life.

So, I came out of the Dr's surgery with a bit of a spring in my step.

Makes a change to get good news once in a while.

I might enjoy a portion of Fish and Chips for my tea tonight in celebration ;):)

• Like Like x 6
  9. LRJimmy

LRJimmy Active Member

Good on you mate!
    Health is the one thing you really need to keep everything else in place. You don’t appreciate just how much till you have to stop and think about it. Sure money stops us to an extent but the frailty of life really is the true reckoning of our time here. Ooh, sounds a bit heavy for on here but correcting the spelling mistakes may be just as bad ;)