SP Tail Tidy Recommendations?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by PauloHRC, Jan 2, 2019.

1. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Thanks Mark, looks loads better and yes reflectors already taken off!!;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Demmel

Demmel Member

Looks awesome! Good work!
    In our country, the police are only interested in the documents on the bike. I do not even remember when I last saw my license plate. Maybe he was lost somewhere. :D
    So I never bother with tail tidy.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ravsta

Ravsta Active Member

Well done mate. Looks freaking awesome. Completely changed the back end :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Cheers @Ravsta .....you ordered yours yet??

• Like Like x 1
  5. nevsrevs

nevsrevs New Member

Another thumbs up for this kit, awesome for the price

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ravsta

Ravsta Active Member

Gonna order this evening. Looks like I’m going to need a whole day to do it though:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Re. the number plate light connection....

Can you not buy a matching male/female connector for the existing Blade wiring...then add the necessary connection to the wires on the new connector that will in turn connect to your LED thus no cutting required? (too much use of the word connector in that sentence, I hope it makes sense? o_O)
    Not sure if OEM male/female connectors are available though.

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

When I'm faced with that sort of problem, i.e OEM not available or too expensive, I search ebay or breakers and buy a crap part. In this case there would most likely be a crap tail light assembly for a few quid (even @vic_ster51 would probably have) and just 'unsolder' the OEM connectors.

Some will recall I recently purchased a damaged 2008 tank cover simply to remove the Honda badges valued at approx 50 quid each. Called thinking outside the square!:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. My1000

My1000 New Member

Pretty much any fender is better then what these companies are required to put on by law lol.

I like this carbon fiber fender eliminator from 007plate but its pricy

[​IMG]

#49 My1000, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I'm not quite sure why anyone has an aversion to cutting the wires to the tail light to get the connector. It's not as if you'll ever want to return it to standard again, is it? It's not you'll be cutting into the wiring loom, just the wires on the parts you've removed.

11. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Just ordered my J-Tech. Bit of a no brainier really. £40 v £115 for a yoshimura

• Like Like x 1
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Might be right, but for some of us it's the touch of finesse that rewards us with a professional job and finish!:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Quite the opposite really, I may want to return to standard if I traded it in and wanted to keep my tail tidy. And you would be cutting into the wiring loom if you use the bullet connectors provided.

The LED number plate light provided with the TT has bullet connectors attached the the end of the wires. So you would need to attach the female 'barrels' to the end to the wires on the bike (loom) IMG-20190108-WA0000.jpg

20190108_082625.png

14. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I suppose you could remove the connector from the original LED light and attach it too the new LED but that's not a route I wanted to go down. I get an overwhelming fear that paralyses my body when I look at electrical wiring no matter how simple haha :D

It's all irrelevant really as like I said, have chosen to leave it unconnected and that's how its staying! ;)

15. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

For my 2015 the R&G came with the correct mating connector with attached lengths of red and black cable. I cut them down and soldered to the light wires (there was a difference in core diameters that looked a bit odd) but it does mean I can remove from this and refit to a new blade. Which is exactly what i did when I swapped the repsol for the black edition - the repsol went back with the as standard tail and all correctly plugged in. There was no change the the standard wiring required.

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

After stating the above, I have no friggin' idea what the dealer did when installing mine. I must have a look after taking off the bike cover, 14 blankets and 2 duvets!! I'm sure there's a bike under that mound!!:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I wouldn’t consider it cutting into the loom as the wires are attached to the original tailpiece not the loom of the bike. But I see your point. I won’t be using el cheapo bullet connectors either. I’ll get some of those fancy solder connectors, heat shrink connectors, when I find where to get some. Let’s face it ain’t difficult +ve to +ve, etc.
    At the end of your ownership could you really be arsed to go through the hassle of reinstalling the old numberplate hanger for the sake of £40?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

If it was don’t by the dealer there’s no telling what disaster awaits your ocd eye.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I know you're thinking the old twisted wire and black tape trick!! Done it many a time on a customer's bike myself!!:eek::eek::(. (Not proud of it, on reflection, but that was the way it was:rolleyes:.

20. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Or if you were posh, Scotch Locks.

• Like Like x 1