Spare KEY CUT???

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Animal, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Animal

Animal New Member

Hi all,
    I have just taken possession of a 2018 CBR1000RR But sadly only comes with x1 KEY:(
    Now having priced for a NEW GENUINE replacement I'm Not best pleased!?! 80 quid for a blank possible 40 quid to cut then 50 quid to get it programmed!?!
    Anybody know how to or where to get a GENUINE replacement key somewhat cheaper???
    Cheers Andy

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi and welcome to the forum - have you tried asking a local auto locksmith rather than a honda dealer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Lock

Lock Active Member

Getting replacement key isn't cheap, when I got my old RR7 (bought from a Triumph dealer) as it had one key, I got them to shake on a deal that included a spare key. They asked me to get and then take them bill - they nearly fell off their chair - £140!!! Triumph keys at the time were only £10, funny how I knew the expense of a honda key and they didn't (that said they didn't realise the bike had power commander, full race exhaust and race clip ons!). Don't know if other options now but then was only dealer that could supply key as chipped

4. Fatboy

Fatboy Active Member

Basically all you need is a Blank Key, A Chip and someone to cut your key, I got 2 Keys ,4 chips from Aliexpress , the key programming is in the workshop manual, but I got an Automotive Locksmith up here in Morecambe to cut the keys and CLONE them to the Original all in £30

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  5. TonyEmm

TonyEmm Member

this might help

• Like Like x 2
  6. Animal

Animal New Member

Thanks for the info guys! Just trying to find a blank key with chip/transponder at the moment!?! Anyone know the part number or type I need please??? I do know it's the "FLOATING" Type.
    In the meantime will try to find someplace that can cut it!?! Oh the joys of owning a HONDA!?!?!?! I totally forgot how stupidly expensive they are even for the simplest of things since I had my last Blade back in 2005 (new out the of the showroom job that was! ;) ).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I also got mine off ebay, key off one person chip off another and programmed with youtube all good

8. Animal

Animal New Member

Just an update!?!
    Well I got a card through the door today from royal mail stating there was a package to collect due to insufficient postage and I needed to pay £1.50
    So long story short, the original owner sent the key in a standard envelope envelope with 1st. Class stamp! Obviously royal mail wanted extra cost as a KEY weighs heavier than a letter!?!
    Anyway £1.50 against £196 that Honda quoted for the key getting it cut and them coding it is a major result!!! Well happy!!!

• Like Like x 10