Sportsmarts - be careful out there boys n girls

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by damodici, Apr 6, 2012.

1. damodici

damodici Active Member

BLOODY HELL!!!

That was close, just got to racing lines in Derby to get the new chain n sprockets fitted but only just.

Jesus wept these things are super slippy, I'm sure (hope) they'll scrub in and loose the super slippy releasing agent feel but over a 9mile ride the rear slipped out 3 times and after the first just leaving my street I rode like bambi on ice but it still happened

May have to get them in some tyre warmers when I get home and then wire brush em or something.

Friendly warning lads, get em up to temp and take it very easy to start with

I'm gonna go buy some new pants while they carry out the work ;)

• Like Like x 2
  2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Yes I've said before they are not a nice tyre from the off! Watch out!

3. damodici

damodici Active Member

Any tips Arthur to speed up the scrub in? Baby wipes or something to get through this thick release agent?

4. arthurbikemad

I only wish mate, just be very very easy, if you were not so sharp mate they would have had you! As I have said some tyres still use loads of release agent to free them from the smooth moulds it leaves a super smooth slippy surface on the tyre the only way is to find a nice straight road and move across the tyre with care, my only advice is nothing more that you already have said, take care...

5. Givover

Givover God Like

Its not just those Damo. I have just had Michelin 2CT fitted but the first thing i did was nip home get the bike on the stands give the tyres a dose of Muc off and then a lite wire wool all over which leaves no marks then warm water with some fairy liquid in and then i used a green pan scrubber (not over the top) and then swilled them off with warm clean water let dry and then go through the motions of scrubbing in .I did a few laps around home and last night when i was painting on some tyre art into the Michelin letters i noticed the remainding chicken strip was as shiney as a Nuns chuff so next time out a bit more caution prior to removing the strips.

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I was looking at sportsmarts for the end of summer, due to general consensus, but don't do the miles to scrub them in quickly so any insight will be generally appreciated, I'm sure.

7. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Know exactly how you feel bud, I've scrubbed in lots over the years and no probs, first ride on the sportsmarts pulled off the drive gave it just enough gas to pull away and the back came round on me a foot or so I nearly shat my pants I'll tell ya. Lol just kept the power on till it gripped. It must of looked really cool to anyone watching as it was all in the one movement but god if they only Knew! Phew I'm not looking forward to putting the front on when the crappy qualifier is worn. What I've always done in the past is to scrub the sides of my new tyres with emory paper (I've got loads) and have never had a problem. It it's heat in the tyres that really gets it off then just gradually increase your lean angles. Take care guys.

8. gixerlc

gixerlc Active Member

Think Ill bang my warmers on mine when I get em :) thanks for the heads up lads

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Perhaps we should set up a whole new board on the forum.

Ask Arthur.

Or

Arthur asky.

• Like Like x 4
  10. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

my mate hrc 2011 got a screw in his tyre so took wheel out had a new bt016 put on wheel back in thought he would go scrub it in 200 yrds from his house £2000 worth of damage, hes not the sort to give it a hand full if anything hes an old woman lol hes gutted 240 miles on the clock, i had rosso 2s fitted 3 weeks ago and had no probs what so ever scrubing them in.

11. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

No such issues with pirelli's drc. havent had a single moment with them. they were fully scrubbed in after the first 50 miles

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I'm really surprised at your comments lads, thought the sportsmarts were great from the off? Headed out on the lanes straight away and they were rock solid?

Guess it's true what they say - no sense no feeling!

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrB

MrB God Like

Reminds me of an incident at work.

Supplied and fitted a new BT021 to a CB1000R. Said to the customer take it steady for the few miles till you get the tyre scrubbed in (this gets said to all customer no matter). Response was along the lines of "yeah yeah I've been riding for years no all that blah blah".

10 mins later a new CB1000R goes sliding up the road minus it's rider in front of about 20 customers who had just been receiving the benefit of this "ghostriders" expert knowledge and wisdom.

Needless to say a very sheepish and shook-up customer returned to the shop to wait for an ambulance due to grinding a finger down to the knuckle in the process.

Be careful out there.

14. blade1980

blade1980 Active Member

I'm going need new tyres soon, and was either sport smarts or the Pirelli Diablo corsa, think I'll go with Pirelli after this, always ran Pirelli on my other bikes and never had an issue with scrubbing in

15. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

My dad is mates with a fella that owns a local dealer.... Never get tired of hearing the one very similar to your story mate, he'd prepped two unmarked police bikes and offered the same advice to the two collecting officers....

One said he was a class 1 police rider (or something similar) then proceeded to highside the bike 50 yards infront of the shop as all the staff stood waving them goodbye. Ha ha

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Just come from the pirellis to sport smarts mate, regardless of scrubbing in which I had no issue with (What 5% of tyre life ??) th sportsmarts are a far better tyre IMO....

17. Villan

Villan Active Member

I have literally just got back from having a set of sportsmarts fitted. Then read this thread lol.

I did a 50 mile run after fitting and only had one little slip throughout, so all seems pretty good to me so far, another 50 miles and tey shukd be bang on :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Dont forget it's bloody cold out there as well which doesn't help

19. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Well i've got the pirelli diablo rosso corsa's fitted to my new wheels, I take it the wear rate isn't as good as the sportsmarts then?

20. arthurbikemad

No comment on tyre life as always depends on the rider, roads, etc etc etc.. But the tyres you have are a top of the line tyre imo but another worth some care in the first 100miles or so... :)