Sprockin hell

Discussion in 'New Members' started by StephenRay, Sep 10, 2020.

1. StephenRay

StephenRay New Member

Hi all newbie here! Recently got myself back into biking world and bought myself a 2010 RR so bit of a grandpa racer, my blade is due a new chain and sprocket and as i've been amiss from the biking fraternity for a spell i have lost touch with what's hot or not (as the youngsters say).
    I've always been a bit of a wrencher with my bikes and would intend to continue with certain jobs like chain replacement, minor servicing, rebuild of R1 from wreckage once or twice hmm maybe 3 times (i'd even attempt tyre changes but my partner would complain about the bent cutlery)
    So I've looked at a couple of chain and sprocket options but am reluctant as anybody to throw money away on cheap products, my question is is is is the Sigma X ring chain with Renthal sprockets as offered by sports bike shop a good options or does anybody have a better alternative for around the same cost (or cheaper)???

Ps forgot to mention as i have chosen to purchase this motorcycle without my partners concent on the preconception "i need it to comute" i am on the thinnest of shoe string budgets and also the thinnest of threads of staying in my house.

Please help

• Funny Funny x 6
  2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Welcome. Just remind her that the country is in a state of lockdown and you can't move out.
    Other than that I'm no help. :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Welcome, nice first post.

Got any pics?

4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Welcome. Only time I have had a sprocket changed I went for OEM.

5. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Look at it this way - its always easier to seek forgiveness than get permission. Can’t comment on the chain and sprocket question, but Sportsbikeshop are (IMHO) the best for products, price/price match and customer service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Hello and welcome Stephen, ,,,,,,,,, yeah go for it ,,,,,,,, it'll be reet ;)

7. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

Hello and welcome.

In terms of chains and sprockets, I would go OEM for the sprockets. The chain I would use DID.

Grab a haynes manual and the owners manual, and check how many teeth you need on the sprockets, and links you need in the chain.

M&P are good suppliers, as are SportsBikeShop. Hope that helps.

Attached is a snippet of the owners manual for my Bike (I have a 2017 model though).

Screenshot 2020-09-11 104422.png

8. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

I have always used DID chains and Renthal sprockets, never had a problem on road or Track, fitted well and lasted well, but then I have not tried Sigma X, so sadly can't really comment :eek::D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. StephenRay

StephenRay New Member

Thanks all for your kind replies, may take the advise on oem sprockets as these always seem to last. I think the chain may be a cheap one as i have adjusted it 4 times since owning the bike in only 3 months and as a younger hooligan spending as much time as possible mono wheeling I've never had to do this with any of my other bikes in such a short space of time.

10. StephenRay

StephenRay New Member

Yes but being old i set this up on my mac desk top and am struggling to upload pics from my goggle driving bitty mabob.

11. StephenRay

StephenRay New Member

Solved! Just had a conversation with Fowlers and they have the oem kits for just £150, apparently the nice gent Colin was explaining Honda have reduced the kits to compete but the chains bought singularly are a staggering £250! so obviously gone for the kit and i'll have enough change to treat the other half to a glass of sparkling wine at the local battle cruiser.:)
    Thanks again to all and thank you for the warm welcome.

• Like Like x 5
  12. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Hi and welcome!

13. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Hi and welcome !

14. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Hi and welcome to the forum;)

15. simon p

simon p New Member