Starting issue

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by steve0202, Feb 17, 2018.

1. steve0202

steve0202 New Member

hi ppl this post may have already been asked but...., I went to go out on my bike, started from cold absolute fine went 5 mins down road to get fuel and all of sudden wouldn’t start then the battery started to get flat so I bumped it. Then took it another 10mins down road to my friends and done same thing when I went to start it. Again bumped it. Took to for a 30/40min ride left it 20mins went to start it and it fired up first time. Just wondering apart from the obvious battery what else could it be?

2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Had the same thing a few time & it's usually because battery is getting knackered. How many miles has it done on your current battery?

3. Cambo

Cambo New Member

Had the same problem with my last bike. Wouldn't start after a short stop for fuel etc. Had to either bump start or leave it a good ten minutes until the engine cooled.

The shop eventually changed the spark plugs, which initially seemed to cure it, but a few months later the problem started again.

One thing I did notice was when I turned the ignition off, the engine temp would go through the roof.

In short, I never really got the problem solved.

4. steve0202

steve0202 New Member

Not sure how many miles the battery has done but the bike had done 12k maybe worth changing it then.

5. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

More than likely the battery. I had the same issue after a year and a half from new. Changed the battery and solved the problem.

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

check the battery connections, fuses to make sure there is clean & secure contact otherwise it'll most probably time to get a new one.
    I started mine to take it for MOT on a cold day. Got there; did the test and all. When getting ready to leance the center, the bike almost didn't start. The CCA was down to 90 (from 130 when new): good volts but reduced capacity!
    the ABS bike have a larger battery they should last longer but I have heard the ABS can drain the battery!

cambo: the engine gets a heat soak when you turn the ignition off. No coolant, oil circulation and the fans are also off. You get a good 10~15 deg increase within the first 3 mins in warm weather

7. Cambo

Cambo New Member

Thanks for the info bonjo, but the temp reading would go from 75 deg to 190 deg in the space of a few seconds and would take a good 10 mins to come back down, at which point the bike would start. A new battery didn’t solve the problem either. Would have liked to have found out what the cause was before I sold it. Strange that new plugs sorted the problem for a while.

8. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

wow this is seriously hot. I am surprised the engine didn't seize! Clearly a fault somewhere, maybe electrical which caused wrong display and subsequent action by the ECU