Stats: Marquez tops 2018 MotoGP falls list

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by BlackDevil, Nov 25, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yeah, seen that. The Aprilia forum boys, (mostly Honda and Marquez knockers of course:rolleyes:) were taking the piss.

Any TRUE racer and enthusiast knows that the only way of finding a limit is to exceed it. Sure, there will be guys on the grid who claim to not lose their bike, but they're generally still trying to get into the points!!

2. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Interesting stats. I notice Andrea Dovizioso - 5 crashes only.

From reading an article in MCN it seems Marquez has to ride his Honda beyond the limits and suffer a crash, in order to find what the limit is. And so he has suffered 23 crashes during the season, as crashes are just all part of a day at the office for him - and he has been awarded another World title for his work.

I just wonder whether this is a sustainable long term approach - where the rider is the software that has to fall off to collect data. We are so used to Marquez crashing and sprinting back to collect his bike or running to the pits to get on a new one, that we think this crashing is safe.

But now we see him running with a dislocated shoulder - continuous crashing will take its toll and maybe he might even be unlucky and break a leg or arm - then it will be season over.

Meanwhile Dovizioso in the Ducati garage has only 5 crashes during the year- granted, coming 2nd he is not the World Champion - but also (maybe) he is not expected to be the software package.

For the 2019 season we have Lorenzo on the Honda - maybe he will not be so keen to learn by sliding his bike into the gravel. And maybe Marc Marquez will will take an awkward tumble - easily possible if your strategy is to learn from crashes.

Maybe the smart way is like Dovi on the Ducati - stay on the bike and let the computers do the crashing for you.

3. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

Marc knows how to crash that's why he does not get hurt, when he does lose it he knows how the bike will behave.
    There's not another rider in the paddock who has crashed that many time and not been hurt

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I would say it’s because most of his are low sides being that far leant over he’s practically on the floor anyway

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gaffa22

Yes exactly, he very rarely highsides, but is prepared to take the risk of a lowside to learn the limit

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I am not disputing Marc Marquez's talent , his drive to win and his outstanding abilities - these are without question and they cannot be disputed. Current World Champion - 7 times a World Champion, utterly outstanding and of the very highest order.

But it is like there are two different tactics going on, between Ducati and Honda.

Honda have a totally 100% committed rider of unquestioned global brilliance. He rides the legs off the thing and crashes constantly to find the limits - this is what it takes to win.

On the other hand Dovizioso only crashed 5 times - he only had to crash 5 times to come second and by 76 Points.

It seems to me that Honda have to have the best rider, of unparalleled ability, crashing the thing every week - in order to win the title. Fair enough - they are World Champions (again!) and rightly so.

But in the electronic age there maybe another game in town. Dovizioso only crashed 5 times.

So that is my argument - Honda have won the title again with a rider of outstanding brilliance ( he is probably a Jedi or something !!) - but he has come off 23 times to do it.

So how come Dovizioso on the Ducati came in second in the World Championships and he only fell of 5 times - why, how come ?

(please don't get me wrong - I am not dissing Honda - but it seems to me there is something fundamental going on behind these statistics :))

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gaffa22

Perhaps the Ducati is a much better bike, and it takes whats Marc does on the Honda to beat it
    Be interesting to see Marc on the Ducati that's for sure

and we'll see how competitive Lorenzo is on the Honda

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

On your scenario, had Dovi crashed 24 times, he would have won the championship!:rolleyes::)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

It is like watching a gathering storm - and that storm is Ducati.

Look at the money and commitment Ducati are putting into this. In that list of 2018 championship standings there are 12 Ducatis and only 7 Hondas and 5 Yamahas. Ducati have bought a tyre software company - that sucks in huge amounts of data and provides them with optimal tyre choice - things like that.

Of course I want Honda to win - but looking out there I can see a well financed highly organised, technically advanced, committed team in Ducati - they have even got nice people in front of the cameras !

I really want Honda to win next year - but I will place a £100 bet that Ducati will win it next year.

P.S. At least it is not boring like WSBK :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Huh? You can't be serious? Are you off your medication?

Ducati will be fighting two Hondas next year - not just one. Vinales will be in the mix and Morbidelli will be a dark horse up front. Dovi will have his usual 'guest appearances' on the podium and will again be saying: 'Next year we'll have it together.'
    Remember: You read it here first!!:)

Agree. And I think there'll be more of the same next year with Haslam a strong contender. Like you, I'd hope the new HRC supported team can be up there, but they've got a steep learning curve to climb!;)

12. Gaffa22

I doubt Haslam can beat Jonny Rae, Chaz on the V4 Panagali might win a few races though

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I think the vast majority of Marquez crashes have happened in during free practice and qualifying which are taken into account, he only crashed out of one race(Valencia) and was forced to retire Philip Island. Dovi crashed out of three races and in those races Marquez won two of and finished 2nd in the other so accumulating points over Dovi which inevitably won him the title! The boy knows how to crash that's for sure but doesn' crash where it counts!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

@PauloHRC - yes, I understand that Marquez fell mostly in practice and qualifying

I also remember that one of Dovizioso's few crashes was caused by Jorge "the Jonny" Lorenzo crashing into him :D

@nigelrb - Both Honda riders carrying injuries - Lorenzo has a wrist injury ? and Marquez will have surgery on his shoulder during the off-season

Where is that bookie - £100 on the No. 04 :D

15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Gee, I'd love to give that a run. There's probably certain protocols about 'gambling' on the forum so I wouldn't engage in a bet with you. But if we were to each send the stake to @Lozzy to be held in trust do you think she would take part, or just go on a £200.00 shopping spree?:eek::D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Not to mention the Management Fees (plus bonuses) that would be required to manage such a transaction !

• Funny Funny x 1