Staying out of legal trouble

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Unity, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Unity

Unity Active Member

I'm interested to hear how you guys deal with this challenge, aside from "Ride slowly".
    Going to the track is not an option for me, it's too expensive when considering all costs (tyres, oil, brake pads, fuel, fees, insurance and potential repairs)
    Do any of you regularly go "quite quick" on long stretches of empty road?
    How do you avoid potentially getting into legal trouble?

I'd imagine it's much easier in the UK than South Africa.
    In UK they have to wear the bright yellow jackets etc and make it clear what they're doing.

In South Africa they hide in bushes and often break many of the rules about how they position themselves. They sometimes hide speed measurement devices inside fake electricity boxes, or even hide under camouflage netting. They're more interested in revenue collection than awareness.

The CBR1000RR is a really amazing bike, but this makes it hard to enjoy. Because if you go slow it's really uncomfortable, if you go fast it's amazing and you're less uncomfortable, or at least forget you're uncomfortable.

So for that reason I don't yet know of a sustainable way I can keep the bike, where I know I'm not going to have legal trouble. Because it's possible I might at some point accidentally exceed the speed limit when they happen to be hiding.

Only-riding-slowly on a sport bike is only-uncomfortable, nothing more. So it's a pointless thing to own or do.
    Unless you just want it for a showpiece. But it's a little expensive for that.

Here are some revenue collection systems that we have in South Africa:

[​IMG]

You can see, hiding is how it's done here.

#1 Unity, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

It's not always obvious over here either....

Screenshot_2018-04-05-12-08-22-1.png Screenshot_2018-04-05-12-08-42-1.png Screenshot_2018-04-05-12-09-14-1.png

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

You don't have to go fast all the time to have fun. Pick a route that's got a combination of 'safe' fast bits, twisties & scenery. Ride with fun company & enjoy brew stops.....every bike down to the smallest scooter is capable of breaking the lower limits & most bikes the upper limits.
    Think you're worrying too much mate...worse things happen at sea as they say....;) :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

A few things to consider:

• Work out what your speedo margin is - 100 kmh speedo reading is unlikely to be actual 100 kmh but rather maybe 95 kmh. So you can run at actual speed rather than indicated speed - thereby getting "best value" from any given speed limit.
    • Find out what your margins are - do they allow you 5 kmh over a limit before getting a ticket ?
    • Find out at what speed serious punishment begins - find out what speed over the limits punishment gets serious (prison sentences massive fines etc)
    • Be wary of obvious areas leaving towns where they have a nice big straight road and a low limit - guaranteed it will be wired to collect cash in speeding fines !
    • Perhaps, as a rule of thumb and not recommending anything - but if you regularly speed then do not speed by much (based on your national laws).
    • If you regularly speed at 2x; 3x or 4x speed limits as part of your normal riding - then you will probably get tabbed sooner or later !

I got a speeding ticket in SA once on holiday - Pofader I think it was, up in the North there. Leaving the town and got stopped for speeding in a Toyota bakkie hire car ! :D

Take it easy !

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Quite so, Ms Lozzy;).

The worst thing is all the salt water getting in one's helmet, so I choose to leave it off:

All at Sea.jpg

6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I take it you mean the one on your head! :confused:

:D

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Back to my serious self; we all have the same problems, Unity, no matter what country. They've even had speed cameras hidden in roadside garbage bins here. We all accept if we take the risks we must take the consequences. Minimising those risks is the key. As stated by others, try to be selective in your 'out of the way' roads. I certainly wind mine out on a couple of stretches, but I am always mindful that one day, a friendly police officer might be having a smoko in the shade of a tree as I sail past at an 'inappropriate' speed.

We must also see ourselves as responsible road users (going for brownie points here) and that is a great part of riding for enjoyment and curtailing the 'thrills' as much as possible.

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Can't answer; I'm blushing. upload_2018-4-5_15-6-34.png

9. Unity

Unity Active Member

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

It's not 'hiding'; it's 'covert policing';).

Police command will state that police are using 'new initiatives' to reduce the road toll and modify drivers' behaviour. :rolleyes:

11. Unity

Unity Active Member

> Police command will state that police are using 'new initiatives' to reduce the road toll and modify drivers' behaviour. :rolleyes:
    Translation: Collect more super tax.

Yeah I usually don't cross the line where serious trouble starts.
    But it's the opposite side of "usually" that concerns me.
    If you REALLY want to stay out of trouble you have to be REALLY careful about when you go all out.
    It's basically only areas where there are no trees, bushes, hedges etc. Basically nothing but grass or sand. Because they can hide a rig pretty easily if they want to.
    Or just don't do it.

Yeah nigelrb I'm very much into being a responsible road user. I'm often slower than the rest of the cars (cage or bike) on some blind corners or when conditions are bad, most dumb cagers just drive at the speed limit regardless of what's happening.
    Sometimes on an old road where dotted lines were painted, where plants have since grown really tall making it a blind corner, I see cars overtaking, because the dotted line says it's safe. (and because they can't think for themselves)
    The problem with thinking for yourself is it's hard to turn it off. So my definition of what's safe differs in some ways.

Anyways, if anyone has something game changing to add, I'd be interested to read about it :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

How about jigging up the numberplate.....or take it off if you are going to go for it and use it as a chest protector...

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I guess you're not addressing that to @Unity.

He's just told us he's 'a responsible road user', that is AFTER commencing the thread with the questions: Do any of you regularly go "quite quick" on long stretches of empty road? How do you avoid potentially getting into legal trouble?:):)

• Like Like x 1
  14. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Don't know about current speed enforcement in SA but many years ago, A cyclist was done for braking the speed limit (20 or 30@ mph?).
    My policy is if I ride/drive in unknow territory, then I stay to within 15% of the speed limit. If possible get a tow from another vehicle going fast. Not for aerodynamic reasons:rolleyes: but assuming they know the area hence where to slow down or speed up; the same on the motorway.

Other than that, I accept the frustration of riding a hyper performance bike on normal roads:(