Stone Chips.....

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Pinkster1000RR, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

Well now winter is here, i'm intending on getting the side fairings re sprayed to sort out the bloody stone chips........(Stands out like dogs bollox on a white fairing)...
    Can anyone remember the name of that clear film you put onto fairings to protect the fairings from stone chips?

Jay

2. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Ventureshield....

3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Venture shield mate. Great stuff - wish I put it on my r1 before Scotland visit 2! The r1 has an altamura paint job. It's fcuked! :(

4. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Or Oxford paintsaver.

5. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Helicopter blade tape.

6. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Now thats a serious mod mate :p

7. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

The Ventureshield is good stuff but is thin and the kit I bought at the NEC a couple of years back doesn't cover all area's that cop it.

I've added the Oxford shield in areas my kit didn't cover. You have to cut it yourself, it is considerably thicker.

Venture shield on the front part of the fairing, Oxford on the back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oxford on the Belly Pan

[​IMG]

Neither would have stopped the bad boy that done this

[​IMG]

The Ventureshield kit I have is made by 3m, I will say it does yellow over time. Doesn't notice on most colours, but can really see it on the whites of my bike when my mates without the kit is parked next to it.

On my list of needs when we go the NEC, as well as the yellowing it has loads of holes in it now that dirts got behind.

8. Givover

Givover God Like

How long has your Ventershield been on Dave ? I have never seem mine go yellow maybe it's the acid rain coming over from London? The main thing is any protection is better than non and in previous years I have had a few bikes spoiled with stone chips and like you say it can't help flying projectiles hitting the bike at 200 mph .:eek:

9. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Lol- tbh Mike I didn't notice the colour until the bike was parked next to a friends with the same paint scheme. The white on mine is metallic and seems a little "life less" compared to his, perhaps yellowing isn't the right description. Looking closely against the white that isn't covered with anything I can see the difference on my bike.

Saying that, I definitely wouldn't be without it fitted.

Been on for two years now.

#9 Dave V, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  10. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

+1 on the ventureshield,fitted it to my new blade this year before taking it out for the first time,well worth the wait:)

11. Pinkster1000RR

Pinkster1000RR Active Member

Cheers guys :) venture shield it is :)

12. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

I have used venture shield twice on my R1 and really kept the paintwork in tip top condition and was really easy to fit saved £50 fitting it myself. Will be getting a set after Xmas to fit onto the blade I had the tank kit left over as had tank pad and stomp grip fitted and used the spares to cut up and cover areas that could get chipped
    No what the guys mean by yellow appearance after a while I had this especially on the tail section but put this down to that part being in the sun constantley

Well worth it tho

13. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I wouldn't buy another new bike/freshly painted bike without fitting venture shield to it. It really does make all the difference.