Strange energy saving habits!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PauloHRC, Apr 13, 2022.

1. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Since we all learned that our energy bills and fuel has gone through the roof, I've found myself changing my day to day habits.

For instance, the heatings not been on for two weeks so I've started wearing this big thick woolen jumper that I've not worn in public or even in the house since I bought it, but its not been off my back recently!

The other day I found myself in a dilemma, I was about to boil up some vegetables. Now normally I'd boil the kettle and pour hot water in the pans and finish them off on the hob.......but I began to think, should I of poured cold water in the pans and boiled them from the start on the hob?? Which would save most energy?? o_O

I've also started another strange one, when filling up at the petrol station, once full I've started holding the nozzle hose up in the air in an attempt to get every last drop of fuel out of it!!! :confused:

Now the house has been in relative darkness for the past couple of weeks too, unlike usual where you can see it from space!!:rolleyes: the loft conversion is the girls bedroom and they sit up there with all the lights on and the Mrs likes the up and down lights on at the front of the house and every other room she's been in normally leaves the lights on, but I've managed to get everyone round to my way of thinking.

I've even started going for a piss in the dark and last night something terrible happened.........Mrs PauloHRC insists I have a sit down piss as she's had enough of cleaning piss spray from around the toilet rim. So last night I was sat there and I felt my sock getting warm and weto_O I think my penis must have been resting on the toilet seat, so I lit up my phone to see what was going on and there was a pool of piss all over the floor!!!:eek::D (true story that)

Now im no tight arse.....just ask @Lozzy, @Selmer50mark and I'm not exactly skint, but has anyone else started to change their behavioural habits in order to save a few quid?? ;)

Ps the bikes staying on trickle charge, that's one thing that won't change! ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

I suggested to Mrs selmer50mark that we should share a shower to save on the bill :) ,,,,,,,,,, I can't repeat what she said :oops:

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Paul I've been doing the same as you , it all helps (apart from pissing on my socks) I even top up the kettle with only what you need straight after pouring so the water takes less time to boil when you next use it ,( room temp rather than tap temp ) try putting all the veg in the same pan .
    Cheaper to keep the body warm rather than the house

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I was about to reply with “I’ve been doing the same over the last couple of weeks” until I got to the bit about pissing in the dark.o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. bladey

bladey Senior Member

I marked a line in that window bit of the kettle which is the amount of water we need for 2 cups of tea/coffee so we don't boil more than we need. Electric kettles over full waste a lot of energy. Also use the gas job as much as possible as it's a lot cheaper than electric. We always hang pissed on socks on the line to save the tumble dryer. :rolleyes::D

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Loft insulation is probably the easiest and best bang for buck energy saving, apart from removing all the Rembrandts and Picasso pictures out of the loft

• Like Like x 1
  8. bladey

bladey Senior Member

You may laugh, my eldest kid learned the cello years ago. His teacher's grandmother died leaving her an old ramshackle house and contents. Only near the end of the clearing up did they find a small drawing shoved down behind the settee. A Picasso drawing! Sold at auction with enough for her to buy a place in France for a holiday home. So it does happen - just not to me......:(

• Like Like x 4
  9. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

buy a thermos and put in the left over hot water from the ketter. Been doing this for years to cut down the wait time in the morning for my hot drink and off course even more during regular daily hot drinks.
    Hate to have the lights for toilet visits at night so switched to sitting down years ago. It is also more hygienic and a lot safer if you've been drinking a lot;)
    Switching to LED for areas where the light is kept on for long times also makes a difference

10. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Remember fill your thermos at work before you come home, cook your tea in works cooker, charge your phone at work, If you own a business watch out for people using your electric :D

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

excellent ideas specially if you work from home:D:D

sorry couldn't resist it!

• Like Like x 1
  12. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Had a great Idea based on above comments.......

Piss in a hot water bottle!!!! No kettle or toilet lights required :D

13. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Bet you wring out your socks into it too. :eek::)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

To save on heating water I am having cold baths, and with the price of water I am using grey water from the gutters. Neighbours aren't too happy but sod them they only need to look away when I am getting in and out of the barrel :p

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Been doing this for years now. I even have a w@nk in the dark now.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Electric kettles are expensive to use, have you considered using the microwave for heating water for that hot drink ?

Draught mats at the bottom of the doors

Paulo I cannot get that image out of my mind you sitting on the pan pissing over your socks are, you wearing socks in bed ? (please tell me you don't);)

#16 bradt, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 4
  17. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Relax Brad, no socks in bed just yet!!!:D

This was about 9 o clock at night, had to turn the bathroom lights on to clear it up in the end!! o_O

Classic case of false economy :rolleyes::D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. bladey

bladey Senior Member

You can always sit facing the cistern. Socks stay dry. Mind you, the cistern..........:oops:

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Be careful sitting on the loo in the morning before the morning glory has diminished. The wife may end up complaining that she now has to wipe the walls down too :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

I got home one day and we had had smart meters fitted.
    The little box was plugged in and my missus said it’s great it tells you what your using.
    I turned on the kitchen lights and then asked if she was going to do everything in the dark because the meter had gone up
    Nope
    And that little box is plugged in using electric
    So I unplugged the box never to be seen again and use what I want when I want as I work hard for it
    What is really driving me mad is the idiots that don’t work saying they are in a fuel crisis and driving everywhere and charging everything ;):mad::mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1