Strange energy saving habits!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PauloHRC, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I bought a plug in power meter to test energy use, i plugged it into our old freezer and fridge freezer for a couple of weeks, I bought new as the new ones used a fraction of the electric, and won't take long to pay for themselves, I was dubious how much cheaper they are to run but it will give you a running total KWH for as many weeks as you want, some old appliances use a lot in standby but not worth changing to save electric as it would take 30 years just to get your money back

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Correct me if I'm wrong but why has electric gone up so much when nuclear power stations don't cost any more to run now as they did last year (I haven't done any research so might be taking bullshit) I know not all power comes from nuclear,,,,, seems like a lot of profiteering is going on :mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. blink

blink Well-Known Member

I'm glad its not just me who has had the toilet malfunction and ended up with wet feet, I think it was because the chap was awake and somehow projected a jet between the seat and rim onto the floor.

I now lean well forwards with feet back to assist with the aiming, almost like sat on my bike!

as for the other energy saving things, not really, no. We havent changed anything, its a couple of hundred a month extra, but I enjoy being warm, illuminated, and I like the garden being lit, most of the lights are on timers so if we stay up late, the other rooms turn off, and the outside lights mostly turn off at 2am, just leaving some lanterns on, all the lights are LED too. I suspect the tumble drier uses a fair bit, thats how we dry all our clothes. Fridges and freezers are fairly new, air conditioning is fairly new and has a COP of 5:1

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. blink

blink Well-Known Member

Nuclear only supplies about 13% of UK demand. Most of it is combined cycle gas turbine power stations. We also stopped innovating. In the 50s, we were world leaders, had the most efficient nuclear power stations but we just stopped building them, and now there is a shortage we outsource it to the French to build it, design it and own it, and it will actually push the cost of electricity up

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bladey

bladey Senior Member

I hope they are better engineered than their cars.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I am sure china is involved in the latest nuclear power station, we signed up to a bad deal during a previous crisis Teresa May tried to back out but could not. we are shit as a country now, it is all about making a quick buck today buy from the cheapest supplier not looking after British industry, they are after us getting rid of our 90% efficient gas boilers then using electric that is made with gas which is only 40%, we needed a proper plan 15 years ago if we are going to go all electric

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. bladey

bladey Senior Member

It's Orwell's Animal Farm here now. All the pigs with their noses in the trough and sod the rest of the farm. Although he wrote it about the USSR it's getting more and more true here. Politicians were supposed to go into it for serving the people instead of just scouring it for what they could get, very few of those left on either side of the House. And we get the bill.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Black & White

Black & White Well-Known Member

I always boil the kettle half an hour before i want a cuppa. That way, it boils much faster when I do want a tea, thus saving energy!

• Funny Funny x 7
  9. dgr

dgr Active Member

I order my hot drinks from a mobile van, thus saving precious electricity. It can get a bit annoying when you're desperate for a cuppa and you have to wait for him to drive the 15 miles from his usual location though.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1