Supercorsa SPs in winter?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by dmc12, Nov 21, 2019.

1. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Less than a year after I appeared on this forum dilly dallying around the idea of a blade and whether it would be too much, I am now the proud owner of 2... having just come bang up to date adding an SP to the RR7. Obviously I need to thank Nigel for coaching me through the addition to the stable :)

I intend to ride the bike over the winter, not in the worst of weather if it can be helped. But it will be cold, and it will be damp.

I suspect the OE tyres, as wonderful as they are on a summer track day, are going to be less wonderful round a wet roundabout in Slough in January.

I don’t necessarily feel like I need to go full winter on the tyre front, just take the sketchy edge off. Would probably default to some Bridgestone S22s (which I’ve got on my other blade) with a view to maybe swapping back once summer comes.

Any other thoughts or recommendations for this bike specifically? Michelin PR5s maybe the default crap weather choice but for some reason I can’t get excited about them, as my RR7 came with some old PR4s on them and I slid the front wheel up to a set of traffic lights on my first time out, as well as spinning up the back wheel in 3rd gear with no throttle at all.

The bike has obviously got some electronic aids the RR7 doesn’t, but you can’t beat mechanical grip at the end of the day!

And of course - pics... but will need to wait till I take delivery next week!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I always read good reports of the Metzlers, but not necessarily referring to wet weather performance. Have you actually used the M7s @tuktuk ? Not for my personal interest of course, but more as reference.;)

4. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've had M7's for several years now...even put them on the SP early to replace the supercorsas. Commuted through winter on them too. Superb tyre. Obvs not as much grip as say the roadsmarts etc but if the roads slippy you can have moments with any tyre. Ride to the conditions and the metz will get you through it.

#4 Lozzy, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Think there's a video of the metz being spanked in wet conditions on iom somewhere

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Yeah I've been through a few sets of m7. For a road tyre they are superb. Hight silica content which apparently results in great wet weather grip. The new m9 has an even higher silica contact from memory.

I have been using the racetec rr also. Dry weather and track use is brilliant. I'm a metzeler fan as everybody knows.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks @Lozzy . Not the usual sort of spanking videos in my catalogue - but I'll look for it anyway!:D

8. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'm going to stick the new m9 on the black one hopefully in spring and ride the bikes back to back with the m7 still on the sp and see if there's a noticible difference...a bit like a very v v v slow Rutter lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Now THAT will be interesting. A non-biased, non-cash under the table review! I look forward to it.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I might give the M9 a go. I thought that the M7 were getting on a bit and other manufacturers like Bridgestone, Dunlop and Pirelli had moved ahead in that time.

I will probably give them a go in the summer - for my trip to the German MotoGP in June.:cool:

12. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Are the M9s actually available yet? I’ve had a look online but it doesn’t even seem like there’s been a press launch. Agree that a latest gen version of the M7 would be just the biscuit.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think you'd better hold off on the tyres, cos when you get the SP, you won't even want to ride it in the wet!;)

• Like Like x 1