Suspension setup and/or new rubber

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by midders, Oct 15, 2023.

1. midders

midders New Member

Hi there

I just bought a 2007 CBR1000RR about 20 years after having a '96 900RR and it's insanely fast, but after a few test rides, it's not handling as well as I'd like.

I think the last owner had it setup for track days because the suspension is very stiff (Ohlins). The rubber is Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for making it a better road bike? Should I just adjust the shocks, or replace with factory? Bridgestone BT56s transformed the handling of my last blade, and the Battleax S22s look tasty...?

Slàinte

midders

2. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Maybe look at changing the fork springs and or fork oil. I wouldn't swap them out completely though.

Roadtec tyres are perfect for what you want, just check the pressures, tread and age. Low pressure, uneven wear and old hard tyres will all affect handling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

+1 for tyres, bikes always feel better on new rubber, and will give you a better idea of where to start if shocks/forks need sorting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. warren smart

warren smart Active Member

Kais suspension do a ride in suspension setup, get it setup for you and it’ll transform the bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. raphael

raphael Elite Member

A track day set up will be horrific on the road as the bike will be on its nose making it turn a lot quicker and very very firm.
    I’d go suspension before tyres, ohlins is notoriously hard on the road anyway so will need sorting.

6. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I’d go for suspension check and setup. Roatec are supposed to be excellent touring tyres.
    Get your damping, compression and rebound set properly first

7. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Check pressures and measure the sag.

8. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

Assuming you have a stock bike.. first thing is to get the owners manual out, and adjust the suspension to the standard settings. Once you have a baseline, then you can adjust from there.

If it still feels some way off, then consider upgrades. Depending on which end of the bike, a new rear shock or a set of fork cartridges might help.

I do this on all my new to me bikes. On my Aprillia, I found that the dealer had set my fast and low speed compression the wrong way around, and the bike felt 'off'. I adjusted them to standard, and now the bike is great.

9. Iain

Iain Active Member

I had Ohlin's on my 04 Blade, and it handled like it was on rails. If you can, download the Ohlin's manual and reset all the settings to their standard settings and leave them until you have everything else sorted.

I found my bike quite sensitive on tyres, Parelli's or Metzler worked well, Bridgestone were stiffer - but it depends on how you like the bike to feel.

10. LowSide76

LowSide76 Active Member

Suspension is a night mare. I have fitted a bitubo race shock to mine and it is phenomenal , just grips and go. Front is a ok but reckon could get it better but o. The bpf only way to do it is a cartridge kit which is pricey. Just a case of keep tweaking settings until you are happy as everybody rides different.

11. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I would check the spring rates, on forks they normally engrave them on the top and on the rear spring it is printed on if its Ohlins, I have put the chart on from Brookes suspension.
    upload_2023-10-16_8-54-7.png

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. midders

midders New Member

Thanks for all the input, I've decided to go with some new rubber, and hopefully get the guys who fit it to help me reset the suspension.

Will post back with the results.

Slàinte

midders
    P.S. I used to do all my own servicing, maintenance etc. but as I've got older I've come to the conclusion that paying an expert takes a lot less effort.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Coda

Coda Active Member

I know where you’re coming from. I tend to not trust others well to do a good job, so I’ve always learned to do things myself. But, as I’ve gotten older I find I have less time and slightly more disposable income. The trick is to identify those times where you ought to let go and trust someone else. I struggle with that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Doesn't take a lot of time or effort to measure the sag and read the rear spring. This little knowledge could save you being fleeced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. midders

midders New Member

Found a local bike shop (where I bought my last 'blade) that has Ohlins trained engineers who'll do a full suspension setup for £99, sounds like the way to go. Just have to wait for the rain to stop...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Iain

Iain Active Member

Get them to give you the setting they use, and if possible the standard ones. Then if you feel the need to tweak the settings you have a baseline, and of course you can always go back to them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. midders

midders New Member

Yes, I'll get them to take me through everything so I can fiddle a bit if needed.

18. midders

midders New Member

Had the setup done earlier today; it was way off for my weight, in fact the rear adjustment is now maxed out because I don't weigh enough to compress the rear spring.

Immediate massive improvement over bumpy conditions, though couldn't push it too hard due to wet leaves and uncertain grip. Will do some more testing next time the sun appears and put a softer spring on if I'm still not happy with it.

Slàinte

midders

• Like Like x 3
  19. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Someone on here( I’m not going to say because their head will get even bigger:rolleyes:)
    Told me to lower the pressure to 36 psi in the rear and not the stated 42psi
    Changed the bike instantly ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. warren smart

warren smart Active Member

I run 28 rear and 33 front.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1