Tapping noise-Any Help Appreciated

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by gearshifter, Jan 3, 2022.

1. gearshifter

gearshifter New Member

As the title says ive got a tapping noise that im trying to diagnose before i take it to the shop and spend a fortune.

Anybody recognise this noise/Point me in the right direction?

2. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Sounds like it could be the cam chain tensioner?

Its something you could fix yourself if you're good with the old spanners. Not something I'd personally attempt though. Try it and see if it solves the problem, if not you may want to get a proper diagnosis down at your local bike shop!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Cam Chain tensioner got to be a good place to start, its exactly where you're filming. That is a particuraly noisy one though if it is that. Hopefully it is because its an easy fix.....

They're about £120 direct from Honda, you'll need a new gasket and a little tool/key for releasing the tension for fit/removal.

Some people fit a manual tensioner instead.

Do you need a copy of the workshop manual for the instructions? PM me if you do.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gearshifter

gearshifter New Member

The bike already has a manual tensioner installed so I'm not sure of it needs tightened more maybe

The way I fit it was back it out till there was a rattle at idle then tighten till it went away and give it a little extra 1/8th.

I will take a copy of the workshop manual though if you have a link for it ...always handy to have

5. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

So you've done that and it's still rattling?

PM for the manual.

6. gearshifter

gearshifter New Member

Yeah it's got a manual tensioner already.although I did have the clutch cover off recently and noticed the cam chain on the side with the black guide was pretty tight but there seemed to be a lot of slack on the other side ,no matter how tight I tension it

7. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I've never dabbled with manual tensioners sorry. Think you set them up by feel to begin with then add or remove tension depending on the rattle at startup.