The American Southwest

Discussion in 'Touring' started by restone, Jan 18, 2014.

1. restone

restone Active Member

Me and the wife are going to the USA this May to do a 3 and a bit week tour of california, arizona, nevada, utah. We are starting out from LA and heading east then north and back across to 'sisco and down the pacific coast about 4000miles. We aim to ride for a day then go hiking for a day visiting as many of the national parks as we can, joshua tree, grand canyon, monument, valley, arches, zion, death valley, sequoia, yosemite etc. We have hired a VFR1200from eagle riders.
    My wife is working in LA for a few days so I have a panigale hired to do day trips out from LA.
    Have any of you lot been out there and does anyone have any advise on places worth going and general riding tips, places to avoid etc thanks

• Like Like x 2
  2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Yosemite is fabulous, but don't go on a bank holiday !!! Take the Tioga road over the Sierras to Bishop, Death Valley and Vegas. The Pacific Coast Highway 1 is great down towards LA.

3. ninja

ninja Active Member

Zion canyon is amazing.

When I've done it I've always stayed in cheap motels.....apart from in Las Vegas where you can get a cheap deal in a fancy hotel midweek.

I'd love to do it again.

4. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

we stopped at a place called pismo beach off highway one and rented a dune buggy for a laugh, also looked around carmel (didn't see clint eastwood though) and went for a drive around pebble beach just to see how the mega rich live.

if you go into yosemitie make sure you fill up with fuel first as there are no fuel stations inside the national park , we did over 100 miles in there.

#4 r1monkey, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  5. N_Collins

N_Collins Active Member

So jealous coz I'm going over late April but going to be in a tin box (with hopefully good a/c!)
    Death Valley is amazing especially if you are traveling there from Vegas but that time of year it's chuffing hot like in the 100+ degrees!!
    If you are going from LA to Arizona it gets really windy around the Palm Springs area.
    Other than that just take in all you can and enjoy!

6. dave d

dave d Elite Member

That sounds epic,and a bit of boys own time on the Duke cant fault yer mate.

7. alexg56

alexg56 Active Member

doing wee trip that way later in year, no biking time though. 3 nights san fransisco, drive down route 1 to Pismo beach for one night then its 3 nights in l.a. 2 in san diego 1 in palm springs 4 in vegas. 3 of us so convertible ruled out. suv hired so plenty room for golf clubs. only the thought of this trip getting me through the winter:)

8. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

weird place pismo beach , the beach was jam packed with r.v 's all with quads, beach buggies and sand raves at the weekend , all there to play in the 6 miles of dunes behind the beach.

9. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Hi, done similar trip a few years ago (in car)

When in San Fransico, assume you will be going to Alcatraz. Book tickets on line before you go (book now) it does get very busy and chance's if you try and book on the day, you wont get in, also try to book the last tour of the day, so your are their when its dark.
    Go on the 17 mile drive (coast road) Pebble beach to Carmel > Monteray
    Do a 'segway' tour in San Fransico (brilliant fun)
    Muir Woods from SF (for the best ever apple pie)
    For food you got to try a Cheese Cake factory (8th floor at Macys and Caesar Place Mall in Las Vegas)
    When going to Grand Canyon, stop at Williams at get the Grand Canyon Train.
    If you get a chance stop at Mammoth and get the cable car for spectacular views.
    Yosemite is brilliant try and do tour with a ranger
    Sure you will have a brilliant time, so jealous !!

#9 rewy..rr, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  10. restone

restone Active Member

I've done Yosemite before but hitched there and spent the whole time climbing, hated the whole tourist circus down in the valley. Seeing it from ever higher and higher up the Nose on El Capitan was so peacefull and gobsmacking.......alas don't think I'll get the misses to see it the 'proper' way but none the less its a must see:cool: