The end is near I fear

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Kentblade, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Been on my mind over the last year, and after a number of false starts, it’s probably the right time to end my ownership of a Blade, 20 years continuous, 6 different models and each one a refinement over the last.
    I estimate in that time I have covered over 300K miles on a Blade and apart from the barsteward 2010 ABS model very little has gone wrong, without doubt one of the greatest bikes ever made.

Everyone of them has some good memories, some better than others I guess.

The current RRE has sat unmoved in the garage for 16 months, and if I am honest, as I no longer need to commute after 43 years of 12 months a year riding in every condition that God throws at you, and certainly no need to go out when it’s biblical and your kahunas disappear back inside your body for warmth, if I look at a days riding, then I will take the NC30 every time and it’s been like that for a couple of years, albeit the last years enforced absence included.

The Blade brings out the worst in my riding, I still think like a 20 year old, and try to ride like one when on it, and it just ain’t compatible with today’s roads and attitudes if I am being honest, maybe age has caught up with me and I can admit my faults where I couldn’t before, who knows, and basically I know feck all as most here might agree with :)

So going to give the Blade a service and MOT have and sell it. The use the funds for a classic garage Queen for sunny days alongside the NC.

I will stick around here as long as I am welcome, as I have been a member on many forums cars and bikes, and nothing beats the vibe and banter of you lot, for me it’s always been the best of the bunch.

If you all think I have gone soft, not really I still hate the Hotspuds with a vengeance like the very first time I felt that 50 years ago, so so something must still be working right in the grey matter. ⚒⚒

#1 Kentblade, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. John Tuck

John Tuck Active Member

I sympathise, I’m 55 and still get a massive buzz from fast riding but it’s just so easy to end up going considerably faster than the rest of the traffic the majority of whom are totally distracted by their smart phones and infotainment systems.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  3. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I wrote something similar earlier today.
    The blade gets you up to silly speeds effortlessly, and though it’s fun the consequences can be dire.

Good luck with it all though, be nice to see what you get next.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

P.S. I share the hatred of the lily white toilet bowl twats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

After 8 Blades this is exactly where I got a couple of years or so ago. I tried to make the 2018 work and I just couldn't do it, so after around 9 months it got traded for a Street Triple.

Moving over to an unfaired Triumph made me realise a few things for the first time in about 20 years. I didn't actually always need to be the fastest thing on the road, some of the countryside I'd ridden through for years is actually quite beautiful and not just a green blur. The last one definitely shows my age, I could enjoy myself and be comfortable. ;)

I still get the Blade itch and if I was to go there it would have to be a 2nd bike, possibly a 954.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Thanks for the responses all.

Think it’s a point we all reach, 20 years has been a long time owning Blades, during that time a compete forecourt of different bikes have come and gone and its always the Blade left standing in the garage having seen off another potential rival.
    They really are a do everything superbike, never the very top of the tree compared to the opposition, but if you are going to ride a bike day in day out, week on week, and you want a superbike it’s probably the one that’s easiest to live with, and never leaves you cursing. Depends what you want out of a bike but the 2014 -16 series is for me the last of the analogue bikes where the rider has total control, and thats what attracted me, and it’s hasn’t disappointed.

Fired it up today, first bang on the button, but maybe for the first time didn’t feel the love, disappointed in that TBH.
    Probably going to have a few maybe/maybe not thoughts about it, but will service it up, MOT it and see how I feel, if the love ain’t there I’ll offer it up and see where it lands.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Its only a bike. If it doesn't do it for you any more then bin it and buy something else.:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I got a bit like that last year for similar reasons, the bike being too fast/wasted on our roads etc etc. Luckily this coincided with Fireblade prices getting silly, which helped me come to the conclusion that if I sold it I'd never be able to justify owning (not PCPing) another brand new Fireblade again so it's worth more to me sat in the garage. My Fireblade was the first brand new vehicle I'd ever bought and also the bike I had magazine posters of hung on my bedroom wall....not many folk can say that :D. I do more miles on my old VFR now and would love the new Street Triple RS once funds and space allow. But yea, the blade isn't getting all that many miles now, but I'm fine with that. :)

• Like Like x 6
  9. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Cheers Bikeboy, get the message man up and move on, spot on mate yer right

So the scented candles, teddy bears and rose petals in water have gone back in the cupboard, wife’s reclaimed her bottle of Prosecco, and I’m cracking open the Tennents Super with a couple of Barley wine chasers and feeling much more my oldself. :D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

:D:D sorry didn't mean to come across like that. But I see people getting so caught up in the bike they ride. I see on Fb pics of there "baby"
    My mate had an Rc8 loved it until his commute changed then it was unsuitable. He know has a 790 and loves asnit suits his commute and his "now" riding style..
    I have a blade cause it was for sale after some twat stole my other bike. If it goes I'll buy something else.
    Times are changing. 170mph bikes aren't as sort after as they used to be. I like riding 400 bandits as they make me feel like a riding God with out doing rocket speeds :)

#10 Bikeboy, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

@Bikeboy

No mate was not received like that at all, just made me realise I was being a soft southern tw*t :confused:

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. Wes

Wes Active Member

57 years old here. Had my 900rrs for 20 years now. My RR5 is my preferred ride but it only takes halfway around the first roundabout on the rrs to bring a big grin to my chops ! I’ve considered selling her a few times but just can’t do it.
    I don’t know what it is about bikes, from looking at the hero of my childhood years rocketing off on his z900 to the modern day pro riders, I just love bikes and being able to ride one is what I dreamed of as a child.
    As I get older I find I want to ride more, the clocks ticking on my time here and I never want the day to come when I can’t do what I enjoy so much.
    This years events have been terrible and made me more conscious of living a full life. Bikes will be part of it forever.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Marc

Marc Active Member

Biking is such a personal thing and if the one you’re riding ain’t doing it for you then it’s definitely time to move on.

I’m now 40 but still 21 in my head. If a jam jar wants to get jiggy then I’m still immature enough to give it the berries and see what happens. I’m glad the Blade’s got the guts to give most a run for their money.

I rode an NC30 for two years, back when I was 19 and absolutely loved it. I just wouldn’t want 60bhp anymore, be like selling the Civic and buying a Rover 100 I had way back when also.

I will grow up one day, it just won’t be this week. Biking is a rich tapestry, surely it’s better to be happy on a C90 than miserable on a Panigale. Horses for courses.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Mr_Chin_LK

Mr_Chin_LK Well-Known Member

I agree Simon, but I am definitely feeling it on a sports bike now. Get off and back, legs, wrist are aching. Not sure how much longer I can do it until needing an upright/naked bike. I'm nearing 44 years young, but have the body of a 70 year old through the abuse I gave myself during the younger years.

Chin

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. hitch

hitch Elite Member

One of the driving factors for me was my hips, real discomfort after 30/40 mins riding.

And as we all know your hips don’t lie...:oops:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Harley Davidson time has arrived :D
    upload_2020-6-7_9-43-30.png

Seriously, as mentioned how about a Triumph - from Speed Twin to Speed Triple ?

There are some lovely bikes out there to choose from.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

No discomfort for me. Willingham Woods is only 13 miles away I only ever seem to go there and back these days. I stopped group riding (Racing) about 10 years ago. Still loving this exquisite piece of Japanese engineering. Long may it continue.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Love that bit, will quote it to people at times I am sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Stick around @Kentblade.....look forward to seeing what you get next. If its not doing it for you then definitely time for a change!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Cheers matey, yep time for a change without doubt.
    Will be sticking the Blade in the for sale shortly.

• Like Like x 1