The rebuild and upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by thewiz, Dec 28, 2017.

1. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Hello gentlemen. This will be my winter project thread, as i am rebuilding my 2008 blade after a painful highside earlier this year.
    I have had minor mods to this bike since i bought it in 2016, but now i am finally getting her to where i want her to be.

To recap, here is how she looked when i bought it.

1.jpg

After 6 months of ownership, my 08 engine started sounding really bad. I started researching and sure enough i confirmed crankshaft degradation (whine).
    At this point i must say how much i have appreciated this forum. Several members, like ColinBR and Daznorthwest have helped me out tremendously.
    Hats of to you guys. Thank you for all your help. Bought a 2013 engine off daz and fitted it myself in my garage.

3.jpg

Around the time i replaced the engine, i had also fitted some minor mods.
    Like rearsets, grips, new sticky tires, brake lines etc. This is what she looked like after the engine swap and a few mods.

2.jpg

The bike was running good and i was very pleased with it. Did several track days with it and started to build more skills on track.
    In august i highsided, bike was down on both sides. I got away lucky and so did the bike in my opinion. Some crash pictures.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

At that point i just wanted to get the bike rideable for the rest of the season.
    Bought a new clipon, bar end, mirror and grip. Also had to put on the stock rearsets, because these acted like a frame slider:

7.jpg

Fast forward to present day. I recently moved and got the bike to a much better storage facility.
    Going to be doing some repairs and mods this winter to keep me occupied when there is snow outside.

Here she sits.

Screenshot_20171218-185005.png

Going to be posting updates every now and again, and hopefully you guys will find it interesting.
    Not going to reveal everything i am going to do, but I think she will look very pretty come spring time.

Cheers

#1 thewiz, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  2. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Started to tear down the bike. Took the left fairing, front fairing, left ram air, tail and mirrors off.

Going to be looking to paint the left fairing, and need to source a new front fairing. Got some new parts comming in soon, so will update as soon as i get to the garage.

Mounted some new Renthal soft grips, and a new bracket for the front brake reservoir.

25625426_10155018030821232_286135870_o.jpg

25593214_10155018031191232_1324232595_o.jpg

#2 thewiz, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  3. Karlanthonycox

Karlanthonycox New Member

Hi buddy
    I have got a complete set of OEM fairings for a 2008 blade,
    Pearl White and black in very good condition, no cracks or splits, just a couple of very light scratches in the right hand fairing which are hardly noticeable.
    If your interested
    Good luck with the restore
    Karl

4. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Sent you a PM mate

5. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Got some more done with the bike. Took the tank and airbox off. Going to be fitting a PCV, new airfilter and block off plates. All in route in the mail. Just waiting for parts now.

Also ordered a new chain and sprocket, going to be fun to see how the -1 +1 combo is going to be. Gold chain and gold rear sprocket.

Have a good new years people!

8.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Still waiting for parts, need to get the block off plates, mount the PCV, and new airfilter before i can put the tank back on. I also need to buy a speedohealer to stop my speedo from beeing all wrong with this -1 front and +1 rear sprocket change.

Also, i picked up these earlier for my bike. What do you think? Black and gold ;) Think it is going to look very nice

10.jpg

PCV going in soon

11.jpg

Going to start on the wheels / chain / sprockets once I gotten the tank back on. Also, dropped my left hand side fairing off at the painters today. Still on the hunt for a new head cowl tho.

More updates later, cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Hi mate, some nice mods going on here.

What are you doing with your old wheels? I'd be interested if you want to PM me. Cheers

8. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Thanks mate, sent you a PM

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Could be a VERY good call, Paulo. I firmly believe black would improve the tri-colour and have considered it myself. Strangely, many owners think white is the bees knees. As I often say: horses for courses.

• Like Like x 2
  10. dessp2

dessp2 Well-Known Member

I nearly bought a blade in your colours back in 2011 because of the white wheels.

• Like Like x 1
  11. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

I've only had white wheels once and that was on my first bike, and blue and white SRAD GSXR 600 back in the day. All my other bikes since (8 in total) have had black wheels which has only been by coincidence. This is of course excluding my Aprilia RSV which had the most beautiful blue OZ racing wheels. Just not a fan of the gold ones on my HRC and no matter how many times I tell myself, they're fine, keep it original.....I can't stop thinking about black wheels!!!! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Those gold wheels on a black bike however.....I totally agree will look very nice indeed! :)

13. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Those gold wheels will look mint on black....managed to find couple of pics from another members project that was originally a red blade!

Screenshot_2018-01-06-18-28-18-1.png Screenshot_2018-01-06-18-28-42-1.png

• Like Like x 2
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, really magic, helped by the gold rearsets.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Yes, i think gold wheels, especially the new style will look very nice on my bike. I have had black sportbikes before, and i have always wanted gold wheels. Finally pulled the trigger and got some. Hopefully will get some parts in this week!

• Like Like x 3
  16. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Not long until i fit some new parts now, waiting for some to come in the post, and some have already come :)

Sitting here looking through trackday photos, and thought i might share this one. So looking forward to summer now!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Hi mate.

Looking forward to seeing this finished. Should be lovely.

Speak to your man @Daznorthwest he always has nice bits available if your looking for stuff

18. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Finally I got some garage time after waiting for new parts etc.

Short session today . But i got to install the Driven Block off plates, new airfilter and asv clutch lever. Put the airbox back on, and all of the wiring that goes on top.

Before block off

12.jpg

After:

13.jpg

Airfilter box with stock filter:

14.jpg

New pipercross filter

15.jpg

ASV lever turned out nice

16.jpg

Also picked up some gold bling. Preload adjusters. Haha, not quite sure about them yet. Maybe a little.... tacky? :D

17.jpg

Last up, as the bike stands now.

18.jpg

Progress. Next up is fitting the PCV and speedoDRD before i finally can put the tank back on.

• Like Like x 3
  19. thewiz

thewiz Active Member

Finally got the speedoDRD in the mail. Fitted the PCV and speedodrd, and put the tank back on. Getting there now :)

Also swapped the discs to the new rims, and fitted a new Talon gold rear sprocket 43 teeth. Going 15 teeth on the front, so this should be good. Question about the rear sprocket, is it correct with the talon logo facing out? On the back of the sprocket there are just some numbers etc.

Looks so good

19.jpg

Current state of the bike

20.jpg

Got the block off plates installed earlier, but i am left with this connector that has nowhere to go anymore. Do i need a eliminator or something here to not throw a engine code?

21.jpg

Final picture of the day, PCV routed through the tail ;)

22.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Looking. Good:D Yes should be writing on the outside of the Talon sprocket...