Thoughts on 3 wheelers...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Spygoat, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

As an MSF RiderCoach, it is my job (every weekend) to teach people to ride motorcycles. I very much enjoy the teaching process and facilitating as people go from apprehensive, sometimes scared, sometimes overanxious potential riders to new riders with the basic skill set to keep them upright and safe. I can think of no better use of free time than doing something you love...and the money isn't bad either!

On to the point...

In the US the popularity of three wheel vehicles has reached an almost fever pitch. Models like the CanAm Spyder RSS have become extremely popular and are a common sight at most bike nights and can be seen most everywhere you find traditional two wheel motors. Given this recent upheaval, the MSF has launched a 3 Wheel Basic Rider Course (3WBRC), which my school offers. I will be taking this 3 day class in a few weeks as a student. Next spring I will participate in a RCP (RiderCoach Prep) where I will be certified to teach the program. My school is one of the few on Long Island that offer this curriculum.

I must admit, I have never thrown a leg over a three wheel cycle and am ignorant as to their capabilities. CanAm sponsors my school (along with Kawasaki) and have provided us with 6 CanAm RSS models for the new program. They also offer an incentive to people who would like to take the course (reduced tuition and a voucher for a discount on a new model) in conjunction with the local dealer network.

My question to you all is, how do you feel about the 3 wheel cycles? Have they made an impact in the UK? Do you look at someone riding one and think, "I'd have a go on that" or "tosser, that's not riding!"

Front End Chatter did a bit on the Yamaha Niken and while not in the same league as a CanAm Spyder RSS (Niken has 2 sportbike wheels up front, close together, with articulating forks), they raised the same questions.

I would be interested to hear your opinions!
    2019_Yamaha_Niken-5.jpg Can-Am_Spyder_RSS.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I've never seen the Can-am before, nor anything like it save for a 'home built' job. It actually makes me wonder how far away from being a motorcycle it really is?

The Niken though seems very well accepted here, although in my 'rural' location do not see many. I have never ridden one nor sat on one, and seriously, have no desire to. Perhaps because I'm 'old school' I still see a motorcyle in the traditionalist's eyes: two wheels or three in the case of a side car.

I SHOULDN'T think that a three-wheel owner is any less a motorcyclist, but I do wonder WHY they would buy such a contraption? Adventurism? Something different? Perhaps a person with little confidence in balance and leaning? OR, a seasoned rider seeking something just a bit different?

I can appreciate the reason for tuition on these as I feel there might be very different 'learner aids' compared to the standard bike. All the best with your project, and I must add that's a mighty coup scoring 6 bikes to assist the program!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hitch

hitch Elite Member

I see plenty of the Piaggio three wheel scooters on my way in to work (Docklands)...not seen the Yam nor even heard of the CanAm - it looks like a snow mobile or jetski fitted with wheels.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I have ridden the Yamaha and I have to say it is a lot of fun.

Where I think it will be a big success compared to say a conventional trike or other three wheeler is that it will allow those with disabilities to ride more conventional machinery or something more closely aligned to a motorcycle than maybe what they have been able to ride before.

So it makes getting back on a bike on the road more accessible for paraplegics and amputees without feeling too much out of place compared with their compatriots on conventional 2 wheeled machinery.

I have not tried anything like the Can - Am and my personal opinion is that it is too far removed form a motorcycle to be that popular here in the UK, whereas the Yamaha is in essence a conventional motorcycle with an additional wheel.

It is something I am going to discuss with the guys at The Bike Experience when I am with them later in the month.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Spygoat

I hold the opinion that these CanAm Spyder's are not motorcycles. The Niken, on the other hand, is much more akin to a traditional motorcycle in both track and appearance. The fact that you need a MC license to ride the Spyder is why we've adopted the program. Despite my admitted prejudices, I am going into the experience with an open mind as the focus is not on my enjoyment, but rather learning the machine to teach safe riding habits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. F1CT1C10U5

F1CT1C10U5 Well-Known Member

An image says more than a thousand words, so... here's my thought:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Your thoughts surprise me. I thought you'd love the Niken. I mean, with three wheels you've got far less chance of crashing!!:D;)

8. F1CT1C10U5

F1CT1C10U5 Well-Known Member

You underestimate me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Well I hadn't seen anything like that other than silly scooters so I went and looked for reviews from people I trust.
    I think the phrase 'dammed with faint praise' summed it up even from reviewers obviously on a paid for jolly.

We will await your assessment but won't hold our breath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I'm with F1CT1Ci1U5 and Nigel H on this.
    Basically you get all the hassles of motorcycling, but with none of the benefits.
    i.e. you still have to gear up, deal with the cold and SMIDSY drivers that are out to kill anyone on less than 4 wheels. But you still can't filter through traffic, carry your weekly shop, or squeeze a load of them in your garage. Boooo!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I know a guy with a can am spyder. He would have a 2 wheeler if his body was able but with poor feeling in his lower legs/ feet it gives him the motorbike sensations without the worry of toppling over when coming to a stop.

I tried to talk him into a Niken but he preferred the can am.

12. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

The Niken is not self standing so no good for disabled people, it's whole thing is about front end grip, but not for me, can't stand the look of it personally

#12 SimonRR, Sep 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  13. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Each to their own it’s certainly not for me, but as mentioned would be great for people with disabilities etc to get away from 4 wheels.
    Don’t try it until you’ve knocked it:D

14. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Not for me, but I always wave/nod at 3 wheelers because as a few have pointed out here they are quite likely to be ex bikers who aren't as able anymore or perhaps have been disabled through accidents. They deserve kudos for getting back out there if they have suffered disabilities through bike accidents or otherwise.

Turn your nose up at them at your peril......who knows where you will be in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Am intrigued by the likes of the Piaggio, could see why some may like them for commuting.

I also like the looks of the CanAm and would probably be great for touring, wife used to joke about getting one to take the kids to school with. Trouble is that unlike the Piaggio I don't class them as a bike, but then I'm not 100% certain a Goldwing is really a bike either.

Can fully understand the reasons people want a trike, and if it was the only way to get a bike like experience I would have one without a doubt. I do actually know someone who rides a trike, ex biker who now just can't cope with only 2 wheels, he loves his trike and him and his missus seem to love going out on it. From what he says it's a different experience, so as with many things in life its a case of horses for courses.

16. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Didn't realise that! Wonder what market's targeted with it then.. If it serves a purpose to fill a gap where a motorbike won't do then fair enough but can't see what that gap is?!? Looks weird too and 3 tyres to change as well :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Spygoat

By all reports, it seems to be an exercise in feasibility. It's not quite fast enough, it's limited to 117 mph (or thereabouts) and has no real purpose. I believe they are simply putting it out there to see if anyone will buy it. FEC had said a few near get-offs occurred, but only as the riders were coming to a stop, expecting the bike would stay upright. Everyone has said the front end grip is beyond compare.

18. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yeah the local dealership had a ride out day on a load of them and a guy I know was on it...he said pretty much the same thing. Just seems a bizarre looking thing to buy just for front end grip. But then I guess that's big companies and the constant quest for new technology etc even when it seems a bit of an odd idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Tell you what's interesting reading @Spygoat stories they sometimes have where they show magazine/newspaper articles from years back like say the 50's where inventors and companies have predicted stuff like flying cars or Mars trips for the year 2000 and loads more weird stuff that's never come about. Be interesting to time machine forward 50 yrs and see how much stuff from now has been consigned to the dustbin of history

20. Spygoat

I'll call The Doctor and see if that trip can be arranged.

But yeah, it is interesting. You don't see too many of those kind of claims anymore. Bold predictions are few and far between these days.