time for a new battery

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by bonjo, Feb 8, 2018.

1. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

it looks like my almost 3 year old yuasa is weakenning. It has difficulties starting the bike at low temperatures (0~2deg) even though it cranks is long enough but not fast enough!
    From past expereince and 85% battery won't get my bike going! So.

I am seriously looking at lithium based batteries and in particular Aliant YLP10.
    The problem I see is that the connectors are in the middle of the battery and doudt if the battery cables and connectors can reach & fit inside the tight plastic holder.

Has anyone fitted one of thesewho can shar his/her wisdom??

2. Cambo

Cambo New Member

Had a lithium battery fitted to my old CB1000R and got a 9" extension cable for around 4 quid from Halfords.

Got the battery from the US as they weren't available in the UK at the time. Not so good on cold winter mornings, it would take a few goes to start, as lithium batteries need to warm up and get stronger with each push of the starter button.

Having said that, the technology may have moved on in the seven years since I bought mine.

3. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

4. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

thanks BW for the link.
    The spec for the Li battery is the same as JMT, shyrich & excide. I read most of these are made by one manufacturer in china.
    I prefer to use a uk supplier just in case there is a warranty issue

cambo
    yes technology has moved on in 7 years. Mostly based on how to make them work as a replacement battery. Issues like over/ under charging voltage, cell balancing have been identified. most have on board battery management system.