Time to 'Man up'

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by nigelrb, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

No matey, rats are cleaner

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Okay, here's the update.

After considering all the responses, VERY CAREFULLY I might add, I ditched the lot and did my own thing!:D

Here is my 'runabout'. As forecast by those who have sussed my idiosyncracies (or at least, some of them) I have already commenced the 'detailing' work - Harpic Power Plus with steel wool, Scourer and Brasso on the wheels (had no Autosol:() and a general tidy up.

This thing is magnificent. Never ridden a V-twin before; totally different experience. The problem now is if I get really hooked on them I might have to make a move on a regular member for one of his SP2s:cool:. This is 1999 model. Sure, they are down on power from our Blades, but they have a character all of their own.

VTR 1..jpg VTR 2..jpg

• Like Like x 4
  3. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Looks tidy , nice cans

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Don't get it too Tidy" or you wont want to use it in the rain and you will have to buy another wet weather hack ;):D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Excellent choice, my brother had one of those before he got a Fireblade. Completely different power delivery, nice low end torque.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

AND.....we want piccys of it all shit up in the rain at least 60 miles away from your home address as proof ;).....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Mmm. That makes life VERY difficult for me!:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

cbr600 steel frame, dirt cheap and fantastic bike had 3 loved them all. and if i have to sell my bigger bikes i all ways end up buying a cibber to keep me biking

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Nigel, you are officially bike mad! Congrats on the newest addition to the family!

There is definitely something about having a cheaper run about bike which brings a different aspect to biking. When I bought the fz6 to commute on its was so much fun but in a different way to the blade. Rode it in all weather's without worry, messed about pulling skids and trying to back it into corners, all stuff I keep to a minimum on the blade. Plus when I was knocked off it I wasn't as fuming as I would have been if it was the blade.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

personally think your mad going out in shit weather on an old bike when u have good machinery to hand, looks like your putting your safety 2nd to save a few quid or even worst just to have a clean bike, sorry I do tend to speak my mind,

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Like roboticus has said....I think I'd have used the 11 plate Blade you've got Nigel for what you were wanting. It's great all year round with the right tyres on and they clean up real well anyhow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

What about something from Mutt Motorcycles - they do 125cc and 250cc - they are really popular locally, they seem to have sold loads of them.

lovely colours on this one. quite reasonable prices, as they are only little low tech bike - but cool and great fun...

Mutt Baja 125.png

• Like Like x 3
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

No probs with anyone speaking their mind, I do enough of it myself!;)

Don't follow the logic though. If an older bike is just as mechanically sound as a newer one (as is the VTR) I can't see how my, or anyone else's safety, would be jeopardised.

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Think you might have missed my earlier post, @Mattie660 . I bought a 1999 Firestorm. Thank goodness too. I can just imagine filling out the next census: 'What vehicles do you have?' I would be listing a few bikes, finishing with a Blade SP2 with the addendum, Oh yeah,and a Mutt 125!'

Thanks, but no thanks. You stick to touring and I'll stick to cleaning!!:D:D;)

15. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

They look great little bikes them Mattie!... seems they've some near me at SMC in Sheffield...I'm going to pop down for a nosey :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Well, you do your own thing, if you like cleaning your bikes.

Never ridden one of those, big Honda V-Twins before, but rode a big V-Twin Aprilia Tuono, took it for a test ride and said I will have a think - but sold very very quickly.

A bit of a brute compared to a nice easy spinning 4 cylinder - I remember.

It was a laugh - it looked like this but over 10-15 years old:
    Tuono 2003.png

17. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

They run really well - I think they use Suzuki GN motors. Even non bikers love the look of them. Prices seem reasonable......

18. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I want a Mutt 250.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. roboticus

roboticus Active Member

bikes have come along way since 99, what the thing weigh, forks don't look up to much iv better on my push bike, brakes wont be good, im just seeing a lot of deaths on the roads at mo of people going to and from work and im guessing there on similar machinery, work horse's, im not saying its down to the bike but good components are not cheap for a reason, they work better, a newer bike just might be the difference in tricky conditions,

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

He won't use it anyway! :D;)

Nice addition though @nigelrb :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1