Tony from Sheffield American bomber crash

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradt, Jan 23, 2019.

1. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Brought a tear to my eye after watching Tony from Sheffield on the BBC breakfast news yesterday morning. What an achievement.

Cant download the link but just you tube

Tony Foulds lifelong wish comes true

• Like Like x 2
  2. bradt

bradt Elite Member

No response to this post, surely someone had a look on you tube and was moved by what was reported

3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Sorry Brad...I saw it live on TV & yes very moving bless him

• Like Like x 1
  4. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Cheers Lozzy knew I could rely on you for a response :) I should of posted a you tube link maybe.

#4 bradt, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  5. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

No words..just respect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

@bradt sorry been snowed under with work and life so not had a chance to go looking. Will try and check the vid that @Spygoat has posted.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. bradt

bradt Elite Member

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I’ll start by saying in my humble opinion and apologise in advance to anyone that thinks this has no place on a fireblade forum, but..............This story demonstrates perfectly the decline in appreciation and respect of the sacrifice made by the armed forces throughout history to the present day. This wonderful old gentleman from Sheffield owes his life to the sacrifice made by the aircrew of that B17 on that day in 1944. To this day he maintains his thanks, visiting the memorial and and keeping their memory alive. He is a true gentleman and his continued commitment is to be applauded.

There will have been an unfathomable number of similar selfless acts from all sides and in all conflicts both before and since. Whilst their individual tales may have been lost in time, or maybe never known, they demonstrate the greater good of mankind in the most terrible of situations. The people who have stood on the battle lines and fought those conflicts did so at the behest of their superiors and in the belief they were doing so on the side of good. They are not to be held to account for the harm and destruction their efforts returned as they conducted their operations. They fought to end whatever the war in as expedient a means as was possible with the resources available. From Hannibals Carthaginians against the Roman Empire with swords and spears, to Desert Storm and its near sci-fi arsenal.

Their remembrance and celebration is paramount, as but for their sacrifices we would not be able to enjoy the lifestyles we lead in the world we have today. Something that is being eroded in our society by the views of keyboard warriors on social media platforms globally (bit hypocritical of me here now I know but I loath facebook etc and will have no part of any of it ...... I am the proverbial grumpy old man before my time). It makes my blood boil to hear of poppy wreaths being trashed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-46879180 and memorials being defaced http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-46953436 by mindless/spiteful/thoughtless/ungrateful/whatever individuals. Every effort in all such cases should be made in to catching and prosecuting the criminals involved. Locking them up is not the answer, and whilst I’d like to think we could bring back public floggings for the like, we should at least make them work under the supervision of experts until they have completed on making good their wrong doings and confiscate/sell their property to pay towards the costs.

Anyway, that’s my two pence worth........................

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spygoat

It seems these days, warfighters are regarded with disdain by a generation of clueless brats.

I never met anyone that went into the forces hoping someone would thank them, but it is nice to see it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

It will all soon be beyond living memory and people's ignorance will be rife. Very much like the 100 year anniversary of the end of WW1 feeling like the closing of a book.

I remember being asked to work late to ready a Harrier for a fly past on a memorial for the Lancastria. After being briefed about the disaster and the loss of RAF groundcrew it soon became a privilege to stay late.

Top man Tony!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Lancastria

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Just seen this what an absolute academic knob - good that the sacrifice of others provides the liberty for him to express his opinion. Shame the fact is lost on him that if the nazi war machine had been successful the simple colour of his skin would have seen him exterminated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

It's ironic that these experts sit there viewing history in the rear view mirror making judgements based upon the rights and freedoms paid for by the very people they are judging. Yes we killed a lot of German civilians and raids like the Dambusters would be illegal these days unless the dams were specifically primarily for military use, but the fact that the Allies did a better job than the Luftwaffe is no reason to criticse them, it's not like the Luftwaffe didn't try their best. The experts also like to forget the targetting of civilians by the Nazi at places like Guernica before WW2 started and following that raids on the countries before they occupied them.

The strafing of refuge columns by the Nazis whilst not bombing is surely worse than in that it is aimed at people obviously fleeing the conflict area, and as for what the Germans did in Russia and the future Eastern Bloc in my view justifies almost any tactics to bring them to account.

Strangely after the war there were a lot less people who said they had supported the NSDAP, maybe we killed them all in the bombing raids ;)

Maybe we should be having a discussion about sprawling graffiti on the Colosseum because the Romans used barbaric tactics and their enslavement of the populations on occupied territories.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Spygoat

General Sherman said, "War is hell" and he was right. War is absolute hell and I wish it on no one. Remembering those who made the ultimate sacrifice is our duty as the benefactors of their sacrifice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Hey @bradt and anyone local to Sheffield ... The fly past by the US airforce is confirmed as 0845hrs next Friday morning (22nd) :)
    Just seen him on local news shedding a tear. I'll be finding a good vantage point to watch...I'm hoping they'll confirm the flight route and come over the peaks...it'll look amazing from up there!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Thanks for the update Lozzy so wish I could be there. Just hope the weather is good and Tony gets his wish

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

They sorted that out for him good and proper didn't they! Nice to see there is still a public interest in these stories, well done to Tony and the BBC!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've just watched it from the hills overlooking Sheffield...it was amazing. The weather couldn't have been better. A friends brother went to the park and says there were thousands there including folks from the US and servicemen.
    Tears in my eyes watching it and again listening to Tony being interviewed...what a gentleman...bless him :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1