Tour de France blah blah blah

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Pete H, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Well done to the railway companies this morning round Leeds, known for months that up to two million people were heading into the city today for le grand depart, what'll we do, stick a two carriage train on so that everyone's happy! Tw@ts.

Makes as much sense as this; Tour de France, brought to you by chips and strange rabbits.

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Glad to see you getting in the spirit of it all!! Lol

I'm working in the foreign commenwealth office which backs onto horse gaurd parade and the mall where they finish Monday..... It's causing a few issues for us too. Like having to be quiet whilst the ministers watch them go past on the 2nd floor vantage point lol

That said, I think is great they start it in England! Ha ha.... Just to make sure the French know who's boss lol

The lads riding it though are incredible. How on earth they maintain that pace for that length of time is beyond me. Respect for finishing let alone winning.....

• Like Like x 1
  3. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Cyclists round me are rude and nasty people, right on our door they just blast by with no respect for horse riders, road users or walkers, I am sure they are not all like it but I've not seen a good guy yet, glad the tdf is not round here, last year a group of twenty or so spat at me as I rode past on my bike, they were spitting sports style to clear their mouth out, charming, then wondered why I gave them the finger! Not a fan me...lol

4. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Been doing a lot of promotional designs for the Tour in our area too.
    Some of its so crazy...for instance a lot of pubs restaurants on the route are holding special events and days (i.e. Finchingfield where we took a ride out too)
    But despite advertising to draw people in you are not allowed to use the 'Tour de France' logo or even mention the phrase 'tour de france' in the posters and literature :eek:
    We have to replace with the title "Major Cycling Event!!" wtf its lunacy!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Why is the tour of France in Yorkshire anyway? Have they joined France now.?

6. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

TdeF a great achievement to get it to the uk. Please don't knock it.

7. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Why so great? And again, why in England? Tour of England in England, tour of France should stay in France, seems sensible to me :)

#7 SimonRR, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  8. arthurbikemad

Off topic but related-ish, had a go one full power one of these yesterday

Welcome to Xipi

what a blast!! want one, then I can do Tour De Hants ;)

9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

What what I was thinking

I have as much interest in this as I do Foozball.

And re cyclists I hope the Police http://1000rr.co.uk/lounge/19475.htm take more notice of the one's that run reds I see daily and ride on the path to miss a junction lights etc... I ride but not as often as I used to and follow the rules of the road. Other than the speed limit because if I can hit 40 on my local hill I'm happy. Don't worry it;s not close to schools houses and fluffy bunnys

Yes i'm taking the micky out of the cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road

• Like Like x 1
  10. scooby

scooby Elite Member

you could say the same thing about BSB........

if it helps the economy then dont see the problem,and i know the roads are ahell of alot better round there now :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. dave d

dave d Elite Member

F@cking chaos in Sheffield with road closures,barriers,cones diversions for buses bur fair play to em for bringing it to Yorkshire,i will be taking the Grandkids and embracing the whole day.....just hope the weather plays ball.

ps all our stuff at work was called The Grand Depart....gets round that problem!!

#11 dave d, Jul 5, 2014
  12. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

BSB should stay in uk too, world SBK is for the world lol ;) hence the names ;)
    but still, maybe they should change to name to "Mostly tour de France, with maybe a bit of England too", catchy name yes ;)

#12 SimonRR, Jul 5, 2014
  13. arthurbikemad

But BSB does not put out thousands of people who have no interest in motorcycle racing, I'd go mad if all the roads round me were closed and so would the builders who visit the yard where I am based as well as my own customers, last time they resurfaced the local Basingstoke road for TdeF not far from me, just shows that councils have the cash when they want, as for local economy as far as I see it those who trade near by only suffer rather than profit from it, last time I talked to people here who suffered a loss as no one could access the estates etc they wished 1) it had never been allowed to happen and 2) it would never return.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

I don't know how much extra it will have brought to the city, but I have to say I was impressed with how quickly they got to work clearing up the detritus of hundreds of thousands of "Allez Yorkshire" banners and Mc breakfast wrappers.

Still can't work out what this was advertising though, cheese for parasailing possibly, I dunno it's all a bit French, the lass on the back of the carrefour float was alright though but I was trying to catch a free frisbee thing so didn't get a shot.
    image.jpg

Some cyclists turned up too, and they were definitely more than two abreast. :mad:
    image.jpg

15. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Of course when there is racing at our favourite circuit, non of the locals are put out. Best not mention the Isle of Man.

• Like Like x 1
  16. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

yorkshire born and bred… glad it has come here because they have spent the last 3 months fixing the roads of north yorkshire that i mainly use on the motorbikes,.
    now if i can just get them to run it down my street ...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

I hate cyclists.

• Like Like x 1
  18. arthurbikemad

I see your passionate about the TdeF and motorcycle racing too, I should not let my negative experiences effect my views on the TdeF as they are far from the same, I am not anti cycling just someone who keeps getting a dose of cyclists that are anti motorcycle, anti car and anti horse etc ;) I hope the TdeF does well for the locals tbh.

As for those who are put out by the TT and live on the IOM I don't think they can be compared same as those who move near a track and then moan about the racing, the TdrF is totally different in that those who have no interest will have to just lump it. :)

I am sure for those who like road going cycle racing it's an amazing event.

They say 1,000,000 people went to watch :eek:

#18 arthurbikemad, Jul 5, 2014
  19. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Road cyclists YES. I used to do loads of off road cycling, its where bikes belong, OFF ROAD :)

20. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Anybody got any good pics , never made it only 20 miles from me the start but unable to walk far enough as yet. And no not the 20 miles , the rest of the walking after train/bus rides