Trackbikes...

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Oct 21, 2013.

1. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

Yet again I am going to add my little bit in here. I have just had my first year in racing and went out for my first meet and did well, got some great results. Next meeting I thought I would push harder and it bit me back with a big off. bike trashed, dislocated shoulder (which still isn't 100% after months). Next meeting I eased off and felt better, so decided to push harder in the next meeting, big off again. Meanwhile, my mate Mike who I race with decided to go with the attitude that it didn't matter where he finished. he was out there and learning with each outing. He survived without a fall, having done 13 entire race meetings. His times improved massively. I have seen this with other lads, started at the back, built up speed and confidence over the year and have ended up getting top 10 results at the end of the year, which believe me is not bad going in a class as competitive as Formula 600. Racing is not something that comes overnight, it takes years and years to get into the swing of properly. Just ask anybody who is running at the front of the grid. There is nothing to be ashamed of from starting at the back of the grid and learning, whilst times improve over the year. If I could turn back the clock, this is what I would do (and should do). Crashing hurts and costs a lot of money, in a sport that is already expensive. It isn't worth ruining a season or more just for the sake of pushing too hard. Take it easy, learn and reap the rewards. Nobody is going to be there laughing and pointing and taking the piss if you come in toward the back of the grid, if anything it earns respect. Much better than looking at broken bikes, massively dented bank balances and of course broken bones.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

Point taken, cheers lads.

But for the record I don't go out there everytime thinking I'm gonna push it till something bad happens, just get caught up in the moment, its easy done especially when you are a novice, guess experience is what teaches you where and when to reign it in a bit, still learnt a lot first year on track.

#142 Yorkshire Tyke, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

it took serious injuries some of which are perm to slow me down, just don't let it go that far mate ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. robinh73

You are a god rider Mark and will do well at racing for sure. It will be great to see you out on track and progressing up the grid. I have decided to ask for some instruction early next year, as I need to get back to where I was mentally on the bike at the start of the season. My crashes have had a big effect on me, mentally, physically and financially. I have learned to take a step back and learn at my own pace, as the majority of the other novices did at the start of this year. It is a very different world from track days and you will be pushing hard, even at the back of the grid. At the end of the day, it is all about enjoying the sport and coming away from the weekend with a smile on your face that lasts for days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkshire Tyke

And I can't wait rob! :D Its just me sometimes tho I can't help it always do everything all or nothing, its given me some great opportunities, but its also my Achilles heal lol, in a bizarre way racing will mean I have save that 10% anyway cos how can I get a signature if I'm upside down in a barrier

6. robinh73

The temptation is certainly there out on track, especially when racing. I couldn't resist just giving it the berries, but it came and bit me back. As you say, the lack of a signature is another thing to think about. In your first year, it is about learning some basic race craft, getting your 10 signatures and most importantly, having a huge laugh and having some great times and making some awesome memories. You will LOVE it Mark!!!!!

7. scooby

scooby Elite Member

never said you do,and dont worry,i dont pull punches if i think someones riding like an idiot,as it puts me in danger,and the only person i want to do that is me.

8. scooby

scooby Elite Member

spot on there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jase

Jase Elite Member

Wise words Robin couldn't agree more. :D

10. Yorkshire Tyke

I think being older with a family etc does have an effect on your outlook. At the minute im just lovin life and livin for the weekend and trackdays. Im sure you guys will see me right!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jase

Jase Elite Member

The good old days .:D:D

12. sinewave

sinewave God Like

#152 sinewave, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yorkshire Tyke

Yeah I have viewed them ones sine cheers mate, bit over budget tho mate.

14. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Nothing sorted yet bud thought we could of had a 600 battle at rockingham lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yorkshire Tyke

Fraid not pallo! Im hoping a decent setup r6 with WOW will come along for 3.5k at some point!

16. wedgiewolves#223

Keep on the lookout pal I will also

17. wedgiewolves#223

18. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

that looks like a decent bike, I wonder for how much it'll go for... It's got all the goodies you'd want on a decent trackbike

19. Yorkshire Tyke

No. Cheers for the lee ive messaged him askin if he has wow for the bike and would he take 3k

20. Yorkshire Tyke

Currently bidding on this atm...

YAMAHA R6 TRACK BIKE | eBay

needs a better suspension setup and some braided lines, what would you recommend as a maximum bid considering my total budget is 3.5K?