Trying to get a crashed RR9 to run

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by blake7, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

That's doesn't sound good that. Almost sounds like the valves are bouncing off of the pistons. Though tbh a video sound ain't good from a phone.

Is it a metal sound or is it a hissing sound?

2. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

Cam chain / cam chain tensioner?

3. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Could be the camchain/tension as above.

Does the sound come from the RHS of the bike as you sit in it?

4. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

That doesn't sound healthy mate!

Before you lose the will to live are you sure it's not just something silly like a wisp from the exhaust gasket or pipe? How about a slack timing chain cause by a snapped timing chain tensioner blade? It only seems to be there when the revs are applied almost as if taking the slack in a chain.

Awkward to tell that one. The last one I had like that was when I over revved my Daytona 955i and spun a bottom end shell. Scored my crank and fecked one rod and if memory serves me right fecked one pair of valves!! Although it sounded a little heavier than that but still ran. Cost me £450 for a new lump!

Hope it doesn't turn out to be too bad.

5. blake7

blake7 Active Member

It's hard trying to work it out tbh. I've held a screwdriver to my ear and then to the CCT and yeah there is noise but not the main noise. That seems most evident when I put the screwdriver to the oil cooler.

And it is a metal sound, not hissing.

6. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

An exhaust leak can sound like a ticking not just hissing but I'd agree it's far more likely to be a mechanical noise.

7. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

You mentioned that the exhaust wasn't on when you got it. Have you tried running without the exhaust to confirm it is actually coming from within the engine block?

8. Dave

Dave Member

Myself personally i would pull the rocker cover off and have a good look in there, check valve clearences while your at it and spark plugs, also check plugs are seating ok. I would also run without the exhaust as mentioned earlier. Keep us posted. Must admit it doesn't sound terminal;), you should have heard my sons RR5 when it spun a main crank bearing:eek:

9. blake7

blake7 Active Member

The headers were on just not the original slip on when I got the bike. I've not done much in the way of engine work so currently in the process of finding someone to take a look at it. I think I have found someone, so I'll keep you posted.

10. blake7

blake7 Active Member

Well 4 months on I got my bike back today from the engine builder.

It is running sweet and good readings on the dyno. For those interested it has had:

1. 2nd hand low mileage crank
    2. New piston and rod
    3. Cam journal and head work as journal was damaged
    4. All new shells/bearings
    5. Complete refresh/clean up

Looking forward to starting to add some bits to her that I have gathered over the last few months, which are:

1. Bazzaz and auto tune
    2. Akrapovic slip on
    3. Diamond rear sets
    4. BMC air filter
    5. New 520 chain and sprockets
    6. GB Racing covers
    7. Spray up track fairings and fit

• Like Like x 2
  11. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Bike will be like new mate.

Just had mine on track today and it was mint.

• Like Like x 1
  12. blake7

blake7 Active Member

Well today I finally got to ride the bike on the way to the MOT station. It's the first time I have ever ridden this model, I prev owned a 2007 and I was pleasantly surprised. Compared to my big bang R1 it feels smaller and more nimble, it goes well and corners superbly.

It passed the MOT and no bits fell off on route which is always a bonus :) I really really loved the quick shifter, I've never used one before and god they are fun.

Looking forward to booking a track day now on her. Here she is finished in all her Chinese fairing glory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#52 blake7, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  13. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

Good work mate - I know this took some time to get to where it is!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Slimwilly

Slimwilly Member

Well dome mate, superb thread,and you kept the will to live. So what went wrong in the engine? was it laid on its side revving after it crashed,,oil starvation?

15. blake7

blake7 Active Member

Yes mate, I bought it after it had an accident so I can only assume oil starvation caused the issues. The crank needed replacing, one piston and rod, and the cam journal had some damage.

I managed to get a low mileage crank, nearly new piston and rod, and the head was sent away to a machinist to have the journal repaired.I then managed to source crank shells and other bits new at a great price.

It cost me around 1100.00 for the complete strip, refresh, replacement parts and labour so I think it worked out well. I could have bought a 2nd hand engine but you are always taking a gamble, this way I know the engine is sound as it's been in a million bits, checked and re-built.

I have also replaced the starter motor, ripped out the ABS, changed battery tray for non ABS to remove the battery bulge. I then had to mess around with the loom to make it fit in the non ABS tray. I've done some plastic welding to fix broken lugs on the headlight, fitted a Bazazz with auto tune, HM quickshifter, BMC race filter, and cleaned it up generally. Replaced lots of bolts with stainless also.

It's kept me busy over winter and now looking forward to riding her :D

• Like Like x 2