TT

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by mk3golfcab, Oct 12, 2019.

1. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Would love to hear stories and see pictures of your TT visits. Any advice would be greatly received too.

would love to go for 2021

2. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

I’ll look forward to him popping along, thanks BSS

4. R.M

R.M Member

Not been to the TT, but been over to the Southern 100 in 2015,16,17,18.. Had a great time at each.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I've been 3 times. Once as a foot passenger, once by bike and again by car. Every time has been a good crack.
    On the bike was out of season whilst working over there for a week and went around the island (a few times) by bike to see the sights.
    The 3rd time was done last minute when someone dropped out at this years TT. @Lozzy posted this on my behalf while I was over there https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/muffking-at-the-tt-today.37588/

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

fantastic pictures! Would you say it’s better to have a vehicle? I wouldn’t want to take the bike; would rather fly and use public transport and get pissed :cool::D

7. Muffking

Muffking God Like

It's better to have a vehicle if you want the travel the island, but you'll not be short of taxis.
    Depends on what you want to do. If you want to see the far reach places and do the circuit then take transport and leave it at the hotel when you go drinking.

8. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Appreciate the advice, perhaps I need a rethink! Perhaps a car would be the best way to go, would have some shelter then too

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I have been twice recently, 2017 and this year 2019 - and once in my teens when I mostly just drank beer !

In 2017 I went on my Firebalde, and this year on my new R1

I feel 2017 was the end of an era - it was the last time Guy Martin raced there, although he crashed out - but he was still there. Ian Hutchinson was still winning the big bike races, and William Dunlop was still there. Michael Dunlop won the Senior, and Bruce Ansty was still flying. Michael Dunlop was king, winning the Senior on the lovely looking brand new Suzuki GSX-R.

2019 - Michael Dunlop no longer the great favourite. His record lap had been beaten by Peter Hickman. Ian Hutchinson was no longer a favourite and the great John McGuinness not among the leaders like he was for many years.

So I feel there is a changing of the guard in race terms.

I would recommend going there on a bike. Great to ride the course, and have your own transport to come and go as you please. It really is great to be there on a bike. It is not as mad as you might think. The Mountain is one-way and that can be a bit mental - you got to watch your mirrors as people can come up behind you pretty quickly and may even carve across the front of you on the corners. When you move out to overtake you got be sure that nothing is going to go up the back of you.

I like to pull in at the Bungalow - where they slow you down. Pull in and wait for the coast to clear - then power it up that hill with no one in front or behind :D see about 117-120 mph before having to slow for the corner at the top (but after a bit of practice)

There are some great corners on the mountain, takes practice, do your own thing. Because it is one way, you have to go round and back again. But there is often bad weather and sometimes crashes that close the road. Sometimes it can be like riding through rain cloud up there with very poor visibility and rain, but when the sun shines, magic but more bikes !

The other great bit or road is from Ballacraine to Cronk y Voddy Straight - but watch out with running wide out of corners. You can still enjoy that bit of road at "normal" speeds, although it is windy. But you do not have to be going mental to enjoy that bit of road.

There are a lot of temporary speed limits in force during the TT fortnight, which is a bit of a shame but understandable. The Cronk y Voddy straight, normally unrestricted is a 50 mph limit during the TT fortnight. When the TT is over they take the 50 mph signs down and put the unrestricted ones back up. Sure people will still speed when it is a 50mph limit - but do you really want to get caught doing 150mph along there when it has a 50 limit ?

So the overall lowering of the speed limits is a bit of a spoiler, but understandable when there are thousands of bikes. You can always stay a bit after the TT is over, and the temporary speed limits will have been removed. Just to remember that you cannot go as fast as you like around the whole island during the TT as there are more temporary speed limits in force.

The weather can be changeable. Best not to be too precious about your bike - my new bike came back covered in crap after riding in the rain. But the sun came out eventually. There are some lovely roads in the South of the Island - one like a mini version of the mountain - incredible - that was unrestricted during the TT, but get that wrong and you will fly off into the sky if you miss the tight blind corners :D.

For me riding my bike is a big part of it. I do not take it there just to leave it parked for the whole week.

Other stuff:
    Book hotels as early as possible, you will not believe how soon they sell out. If you are going as part of a package then that will be organised. But trying to arrange your own takes very advanced planning, as people go back year after year. Going with a a few mates means you can rent something bigger between you - which is a better way of doing it.

Ferry - if going on the bike I recommend going to and from Haysham. The port is out of town just a few miles from Lancaster. This means it is very easy to find, there are no traffic jams. Coming off the ferry at Liverpool within about 40 feet you are straight into city centre traffic lights - really recommend the extra few miles to Haysham - lovely little ride up to Lancaster - some hotels - easy.

The racing - choose where you want to be - out in the wilds, or closer to town. It is good to have a radio - not one with twisty tuning dials - but one where you can type the wavelengths in accurately - otherwise you will be messing around trying to tune it in. But you can be there all day waiting and still not see any racing, so good to have a radio ( they do their own TT radio earpieces but I have never tried them)

The racing can be so close and fast - bikes getting airborne - massive wheelies and all so close to the spectators. So fast, in ordinary surroundings - through junctions. It is the setting - how the ..... they can go through a corner like that at 130 mph ! It is astonishing what they do.

In case people do not know - the race number and plate colour denote which class of race it is : Superbike and Senior - White plate/black number; Superstock: Red Plate/white number; Lightweight: Green Plate/white number; Supersport: White Plate/ blue number

Ian Hutchinson sets off in the Senior race - he crashed on this lap

Ian Hutchinson.jpg

Michael Dunlop takes the Senior win on the new GSX-R, after Hutchy crashed out.

Michael Dunlop Senior TT win.jpg

Did I mention the rain :D still, taking a Fireblade round the TT course is no small thing !

Bungalow edit.jpg

One of the reasons for not getting the new R1 when it came out in 2015 was because Michael Dunlop walked away from it 2 days before the start of the TT because of mechanical issue - McGuiness broke the lap record that year on the Fireblade, so bought the Fireblade.

Issues solved, safe to get an R1 now :D
    At the Creg resize.jpg

Find a good place to spectate from - as you might be there all day - get there early and stake your claim !
    Love this picture, Michael Rutter just about to go down Bray Hill at a speed you would not believe ! Michael Rutter.jpg

In summary:
    You will meet some nice people - people still talk to people - like they used to !
    The racing is spectacular, and the riders and racing so approachable.
    It is only the Isle of Man - you do not have to go to Australia to see this - it is only over there.
    Nice to be there with a bike, even if it does rain.
    Not expensive thing to do really, in the scheme of things, but takes a bit of advanced planning and it takes two weeks of your time if you want to be there for the whole thing including qualifying.
    I will go again

Hope this helps, loads more photos :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

^^^^^
    I think @Mattie660 had no sleep last night after that post!!:D:D (Good pics, and I still love that R1;))

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

That was a labour of love though !

Very pleased with that R1 - a keeper. Had it six months now, and just over 4,000 miles.

• Like Like x 1
  12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Mmm. Had my SP2 for 18 months and managed to rack up 2100 miles.

I've had to re-educate myself about 'conservation'. Bike's presently SORNed:D. @Wozza got his SP about the same time. I'm sure he's nearly doubled my mileage.;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I just have the one bike though and I kind of bond with it better when I have just the one bike - rain or shine.

14. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Yes N on 3900 will be 2 yrs In July so will be getting ready to starti looking ...great write up Mattie 660 looking forward to see what's at the bike show ,,,hoping new Honda will be good have already ruled out new BMW...

15. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

Still on the original tyres just about gone now have kepted there profile really well - it's all about the corner speed before anyone says how do you get that mileage from a supercorsa sp I always ride on country A roads never long straight line routes so that helps come March will put same on again...

• Like Like x 1
  16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Same. And I have heard the stories of 12 -1700 mile Super Corsas. I too confine myself to 'A' and 'B' roads and do not commute or do Motorways. Quite sure I'll get another 2,000 miles as mine also show no flatness across the profile. I'm sure it would be a different story on the track though!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

True I reckon if you did a warm track day you could do a set in one day or no more than 2 days ...