Tyre cleaning

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by SteveBuxx, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

Interested to know what you use for cleaning tyres? Been using the auto-glym tar remover for a while and not had any issues but wondered what else was out there.. Too cold to ride it so might as well clean it!

2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Cleaning tyres? personally what don't come off with warm water and shampoo stays on,I'm not wanting to put anything too unnatural anywhere near the things that keeps me connected to the Tarmac.

• Like Like x 2
  3. jamesm09

jamesm09 Senior Member

I just use wurth brake cleaner. I always make a mess when bleeding the brakes!

4. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

I've heard of some cleaning them when they buy them to get the oils off or something. But I've not heard of people cleaning them once they've ridden them down the road.

5. Black

Black Active Member

I don't use anything other than a quick rinse with water. Don't like the thought of shiny tyres myself. Like em dirty! Lol

6. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Huggies for me :) what ever is left stays lol

7. blade1980

blade1980 Active Member

Cleaning tyres?? New one on me, don't want any slippy slimey stuff near them!

8. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Are you joking?

9. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I'm hoping Steve means wheels mate, I sincerely do, that said did someone not post up not so long ago that they used something like back to black or similar?
    And wondered why the bike kept letting go :eek:

10. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

I get what you mean..... i don't use anything other than standard shampoo and water. Not keen on anything like the tar remover, thats for paintwork and not rubber... when its up on its Abba stand i just give the rear and front wheels a quick spin and clean most of the dirt off, but nothing special, they are after all tyres and will always have some muck on them given they are in contact with the road.

11. Givover

Givover God Like

I like the Auto glym Tar remover but would never have it near the tyres . when new new tyres are fitted I ride home safe get the wheels up on the stand and then mix some strongish fairy liquid and warm water and give them a quick scrub (not on the fairing please) I hear you shout and then a quick hose off .on normal after ride conditions I use. The same muc off or warm soapy water mix as per washing the wheels and once dry treat as riding on cold tyres like you should anyway .Job done.

12. JM1

JM1 Active Member

OK, assuming you're serious, tyres do not need to be cleaned. Contact with the road surface "cleans" them.
    And if you're talking about cleaning the sidewalls, I have nothing helpful to say :)

13. Givover

Givover God Like

I might just add there. I also wash the full tyre, this way I can also inspect for damage and nails (it won't hurt them ))

14. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

lets all agree I think he meant wheels and not tyres, I use Swissvax wheel wax Swissvax UK. In the 2 years of having the blade ( including 1800 miles in 6 days touring Europe) I have not needed to do any more than apply the stuff every 6 months and wash the bike with soap and a wash mitt. they dry off. always looks clean

15. SteveBuxx

SteveBuxx Active Member

I do mean cleaning tyres! I have a bit of a muddy/gravely track to get through on the bike so I wash all the muck off with hot water and tar remover, I've never had any problems but if I lived somewhere where it didn't come into contact with mud etc then I wouldn't bother.

For the wheels I use supagaurd cleaner and protecter :) that Swissvax sounds impressive tho, I'll have a look into that

Very interesting to hear some of your responses guys :) cheers!

16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

if your tyres are muddy, dirty then just some water to remove as much as you can

17. MrB

MrB God Like

It has never occurred to me to clean my tyres.

18. scooby

scooby Elite Member

it's the same as cleaning the bottom of your shoes i spose' although i've never done that either :)

for oil+tar,cant beat cheap furniture poilsh,forget all that expensive tar remover,nothing better in my experience.

19. Toy40

Toy40 Active Member

To clean my tyres I go as fast as fook and try to lie over as far as I can,somtimes I would go out and clean my tyres for Hours on end :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Slick

Slick Elite Member

is this stuff for real?

GRIP TYRE SOFTENER - FAQ's

It kinda reminds me of the tyre grip paint Motrax released as an April fools a few years back( or was it an april fools :confused:)